Number of simultaneous running instances on the latest version of anbox cloud appliance

Hi,
I’ve recently upgrade AWS anbox appliance 1.17 to the latest.
on the 1.17, I could have up to 15 running anbox containers.
But after upgrading to the latest, I can have only up to 4 running containers.

1. Is there anything I need to do additionally after upgrading?
  2. Besides, How can I check the installed version of the anbox appliance?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.
Alex.

Hi @gary-wzl77
Please help me if you have any idea.

Thank you.

Best regards.
Alex.

1. Would you mind dump the log of sudo anbox-cloud-appliance.buginfo then I can take a closer look ?
  2. To find ou the installed version of the anbox cloud appliance, you could run
$ snap list anbox-cloud-appliance

BR
Gary

Hi @gary-wzl77

Here is the bug info.
https://we.tl/t-HKA3UI2ywp

The installed version is
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
anbox-cloud-appliance 1.18.2 428 latest/stable canonical✓ classic

Best regards.
Alex.

Hey Alex

As you can see the basic resources info for lxd0 node,

cpu-allocation-rate: 4
cpus: 16
gpu-encoder-slots: 0
gpu-slots: 0
memory: 63GB
memory-allocation-rate: 2

you’re running out of CPU capacity because the total cpu capacity for the lxd0 = 16 * 4 -> 64. And for now there are 32 containers in the ams, and each of them has instance-type a2.3 assigned, which occupied 32 * 2 = 64 vCPU cores. That’s the reason why there are no more cpu resources to be allocated for a new session.
As long as you deleted all stopped containers, a new session could be get launched again. Please read the doc for more details.

In general, after a session is terminated, those stopped containers should be deleted by AMS automatically, that’s a bug in 1.18.x release. The fix will be landed in 1.19.0 release.

Hi Gary @gary-wzl77

I believed that stopped containers will not occur the cpu and memory on v1.18.
About anbox capacity planning.

Actually, I can create more anbox containers unless there are 4 running containers simultaneously.
So, this means that stopped containers will not be counted as resource users.
The problem is I can’t have have more than 4 running containers.

Best regards.

Alex.

As you can see from here.
I can create more containers if there are less than 4 running containers.

Best regards.
Alex.

Could you confirm some of those stopped containers have been existing before upgrading to 1.18? If so, system resources are still counted even after those containers stopped. The dynamic resource management policy only applied to the containers to be launched on 1.18.0 based deployment. If not, I suspect something is not cleaned up when a container ended up to stopped state.

Meanwhile as an immediate step, if those stopped containers are useless, please delete them and check if you could then launch and run more containers simultaneously.

BR
Gary

Yeah, some of those stopped containers have been existing before upgrading to 1.18.
All clear now, That’s why I encountered this.

Thanks.

Best regards.
Alex.