No light theme in recent Ubuntu?

@hvis

This is how a light theme looks like, if the headerbar is not inverted:

64062629-0698b380-cbe9-11e9-9194-6f17d0b0bfdc

Apart being hard to read in a bright room inverted headerbars are also a problem for custom widgets that make use of exported colours, described here:

5 Likes

@frederik-f These look great, IMO. Both base colors and the on hover hint.

1 Like

That looks really good in my opinion. But just looking at it and not really testing out with the applications I use of course. Love the gray header-bar.

2 Likes

Here’s a different take on the light theme:
EDIT: I tried to remove the red X (close button), but I actually prefer to keep it - like we have in Yaru

6 Likes

It looks like Adwaita, not very Ubuntu.

2 Likes

In light of what @jyaku is saying, would be better to have it more like beige color similar to Unity’s Radiance theme. That way it would differentiate from Adwaita.

Well, it kind of is :wink: With this new rebased Yaru we change as little code as possible from Adwaita. The goal is compatibility, stability and low maintenance.

Who is to say that this isn’t the new Ubuntu? :smile: I know what you mean.

4 Likes

I actually like it being very close to Adwaita, for all intents and purposes.

The accentuating colours and the default font make things Ubuntu-ish enough.

Looking forward to the new Yaru as well, with this in mind.

3 Likes

@TonyS great you like it!
The theme is very close to adwaita anyways. But we were/are inverting the headerbar color in the light theme. We upstreamed many yaru design ideas to the upstream theme, to reduce the diff.

After merging @madsrh design additions, the light theme in the light theme branch currently looks like this:

While the dark theme looks like this:

5 Likes

I had opened an Issue on Github, but unfortunately it was closed. https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/919

…but unfortunately it was closed.

It wasn’t closed because we didn’t like the fully light theme. It was closed because we didn’t want to spread our efforts thin.

Reading the issue again, there seems to be a lot of love for the light theme in the comments, so hopefully those people will be happy with the new light theme.

6 Likes

@madsrh, I understand, thanks for your response and effort to make Ubuntu better. I think the new approach is excellent. :slight_smile: