New Desktop Installer Preview Build

what is the difference between the iso canary impish and that of jammy? which one should i use?

Refreshed the daily (canary) build for QA-test install on

• hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)

daily: 2021-11-03 jammy

this box had internet connected (ethernet) & ping to ISP was good.

installer started, no issues for full disk install, I progressed thru till I entered my user details (password etc) & the installer just closed up after that without message. No errors reported.

sudo journalctl |pastebinit can be found here

I don’t know where subiquity logs are stored; the details in /var/crash/ were from a system problem detected (_usr_bin_cloud-init) that appeared at boot time.

fyi: clicking the install icon just re-started the installer…

Another question … should tests of this be reported on http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/429/builds

I haven’t been; as it’s a different ISO (I’ve also switched to jammy and not using the impish ISO this original post was about…)

Refreshed the daily (canary) build for QA-test install on

• sony vaio svp112a1cw (i5-9400u, 4gb, intel haswell-ULT)

daily: 2021-11-04 jammy

I saw fix released on 1949424 so didn’t connect to wifi/internet… and started installer

accepted default ‘english’ & no keyboard layout options exists… just detect keyboard layout or go-back are offered again. :frowning:

(I see crash files in /var/crash for cloud-init & server-request_fall … but not submitted yet as no internet; as was planning this to be a no-internet install)

exiting installer & starting it again & second time I have keyboard layout options to choose from :slight_smile:

installer slideshow has finished; and something went wrongBug #1949944 “request to /storage/guided?wait=true crashed with ...” : Bugs : subiquity

& Bug #1949947 “request to /keyboard crashed with TypeError” : Bugs : subiquity (which is likely duplicate of 1934408)

likely obvious; but failure to boot system on restart; and last install was a lubuntu jammy

Thanks for the testing you are doing. I don’t think the image is changing enough at the moment that it’s worth doing daily testing.

You asked about the log, they are in /var/log/installer for the desktop installer and subiquity and /var/log/curtin for that component

The recent journal log you shared showed an installer hitting a crash in the nouveau video driver which could be workarounded by forcing software rendering, there is WIP work around this on https://github.com/canonical/ubuntu-desktop-installer/pull/286

1 Like

There is a ‘Ubuntu Desktop (Canary) amd64’ product listed on the tracker which would be the right component

1 Like

I hadn’t looked close enough had I… I now see it, so thanks.

I like the tracker as for occasional issues like the keyboard layout not showing; it allows a quick view of when & how often from lp… & I can just tag it on iso.qa & ignore (as not new & known)

Thanks for clue about testing frequency… I currently aren’t worried about Lubuntu’s ISO either… so when I have time currently it’s canary.

There are 2 discussions about Ubuntu Desktop Installer. Which is the right one? Why two? Wouldn’t it be better to unify them?

I already tested the new installer a few days ago, now to test the new installer, just refresh the snap or must the new ISO canary be reloaded? Thanks.

1 Like

It’s better to get the current ISO, if most of the work is on the installer snap some fixes like the one for offline installation are on the ISO itself

Try install on existing partition on my disk sda1 where now I have Ubuntu Focal.
The /boot/efi partition is on a different disk /dev/nvmen1p1
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS “Jammy Jellyfish” - Alpha amd64 (20211108)
latest/edge: 0+git.a71b808 2021-11-05 (145) 117MB classic

Here some problems I noted:

Screen Updates and other software:
can select Normal or Minimal install but ‘Other options’ is missing, no choice for ‘Download updates while install’ and ‘Install third-party software’

Screen Installation type:
says: the computer currently has no detected operating systems… while I have 4 different Ubuntu installations on other partitions and if I select ‘Something else’ the partitions are displayed but content not shown.

Screen Allocate disk space:
can not select ‘format partition’ but is automatically selected
… and i want keep my home?

device for boot is not automatically selected

Screen Write changes to disk: partitions to be formatted are not listed
… I abandoned the install

Hi. Just my two cents.

I would really love to test the new installer but the disk image is over 4 Gs and I don’t think that’s acceptable. I don’t have a larger USB stick at the moment and I think I’m not in the minority when I say that nobody would want to use their main drives just to install an OS. It’s not common to have an 8 and 16 GB USB flash drive lying around. Imagine if I had two of them: one 4 G, the other 8 G with some data on it. That means I would have to back it up and format it just because the image was a bit over 4 G? Utter nonsense.

< 4 Gs is the perfect size just for this purpose.

The canary ISO Ubuntu 22.04 LTS “Jammy Jellyfish” - Alpha amd64 (20211108) is just 3.7 GB, I used a 4GB stick to install. More: if you try the install in virtual box you can try directly from the ISO downloaded on your disk.

1 Like

I need a fresh Ubuntu install for a test; and decide to use it to perform a QA-test.

Today’s ISO QA tracker doesn’t allow entry doesn’t allow me to enter details there?

Previously I’ve provided details in this thread (alas I’m usually not brief so better hidden away on iso.qa)

Is this normal? expected? Why can’t i record test on iso.qa?

Reporting: No testcase available

(errors in cloud-init [going by /var/crash/] had me login & report issue, but on logging into lp I only get “Bad bot, go away! Request aborted.” message)

Install attempt (full disk) failed on

• hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)

and multiple attempts (clean boot each time) failed to install on

Today’s ISO QA tracker doesn’t allow entry doesn’t allow me to enter details there?

Thanks for pointing that you, we will get it fixed

Install in virtualbox from canary ISO Ubuntu 22.04 LTS “Jammy Jellyfish” - Alpha amd64 (20211108)
ubuntu-desktop-installer latest/edge: 0+git.a71b808 2021-11-05 (145) 117MB classic

Screen Updates and other software:
can select Normal or Minimal install but ‘Other options’ is missing, no choice for ‘Download updates while install’ and ‘Install third-party software’

screen Installation complete:
does not offer the option ‘continue testing’

log and screenshot here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yI7l9Z_48FyEC5vepcUhWkp7Dskkewy4?usp=sharing

1 Like

Same ISO I used last time (yesterday’s), but this time on virtualbox VM (hp 8200 & 20.04 host OS) did install.

Only issue noticed was I’d not setup screen resolution on the VM so it was small (800x600 maybe; end-user mistake) and the installers window was too large so I couldn’t progress forward until I corrected screen resolution.

Maybe a pop-up balloon mentioning screen resolution issue maybe helpful for some users? with link maybe to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements which states 1024x768)

2 Likes

That’s because the subiquity backend is currently missing, there is a ticket about it there

The ‘continue testing’ isn’t in the design but feel free to reopen an issue if you think it should. It’s easy to ignore the dialog and keep using the session though

1 Like

Attempted canary build install (2021-11-14) on

fails again.

• iso.qa.ubuntu.com still has no testcase
  • ubuntu-bug still fails to load firefox
  • manually starting firefox still gets bad bot

I ran out of time so didn’t file bug report, but I’m betting it was same issue I’d already reported (so nothing lost).