Monday 8th April 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).

We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-1st-april-2019/10436
Next week’s notes are here: Monday 15th April 2019

1 Like

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:bug: Gnome Shell other bugs:

:beetle: Release bugs:

:pick: Backlogs progress:

• :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): nautilus, firefox, xorg, thunderbird, chromium
  • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity
1 Like

firefox24 firefox

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• investigating a couple of packaging issues flagged by upstream:

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 73.0.3683.86
  • updated beta to 74.0.3729.61
  • updating dev to 75.0.3753.4
  • the store assertion for the personal-files interface auto-connection was granted, but a bug in the review tools means all new revisions have to be manually approved, until the next version of the review tools is rolled out in production
  • added back 91124 and 91696 to chromium-ffmpeg, and did some cleanup in the build process to avoid taking up too much space

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

snapcraft24 snaps

package24 other

:bug: release bugs

• bug #1820062 in libreoffice: fixed in disco but backport to bionic/cosmic not started yet
  • Disco
    • desktop updates (gnome-bluetooth, gnome-online-accounts, zenity, gnome-control-center)
    • backported a n-m segfault fix to disco
    • looked at the webkit2gtk/sphinx autopkgtest issues
    • backported a gedit segfault fix from Andy
    • reviewed/sponsored a ibus/new vala ftbfs fix to disco
    • reviewed/sponsored the libdmapsharing/new vala build fix from Rico
    • reviewed/merged g-c-c/screen resolution selection fix from Marco
    • updated the g-c-c privacy panel to not list the camera/microphone controls since they are not working
    • reported an eog segfault/regression upstream, backported the fix commit (debian/disco)
  • SRU
    • reuploaded the gtk/cosmic SRU to fix the fileselector search focus (previous upload had an invalid changelog entry)
    • sponsored the gtkfileslector/search focus fix from Andy to bionic
  • Other
    • launchpad bugs triaging
    • Looked at some proposed migration issues and SRUs

Mainly work on zfs + QA/CI infra maintenance.

Mutter

• X11 Randr scaling improvements and bug fixes [branch]
  • Monitor Config manager: configurations creation cleanup [MR]
  • Meson tests cleanups updates as per upstream discussion [MR]
  • Upstream reviews

Shell stuff

• Updated and merged magnifier setting cleanup
  • Appindicator extension, fixed various bugs and relased upstream versions:
    • #1714191 hplip contextual menu is wrongly placed
    • #1714504 App indicator is not always displayed
    • #1716056 Multiple context menus appearing
    • #1730071 Application icons appear stretched when using scaling

rls :bug:'s

• 1823488, Fixed initial monitor dispositions in g-c-c when enabling fractional scaling in x11 [MP, merged, fix released]
  • 1822513, Aspect ratio doesn’t rotate with the rest of the screen, Fix Committed [MP]
  • 1822478, All on screen text is tiny: Fix proposed [MP]
  • 1818790, Desktop zoom is missing the mouse cursor. Fix committed [MP]
  • 1822616, assertion failed in meta_monitor_manager_xrandr_update_screen_size. Fix proposed [MP]
  • Hyper-V images
    • tested a couple iterations of images, debugging issues found
  • Refreshed some snaps with USNs
  • Investigated some solutions for snaps that need to use transient directories (like /tmp) to open content with other snaps opening-the-attachments-with-snap
  • GTK Print Dialog: Finally! My patch to identify custom CUPS options got merged after some last coding policy fixes. They also asked me for backporting to the 3.24 line and merged also that. Now bug 1763520 can be fixed with official upstream patches (or by the next upstream release).
  • cups-filters: Released 1.22.5 upstream due to an incompatibility with Ghostscript 9.27. This got also reported to Debian.
  • foomatic-db, foomatic-db-engine: Moved upstream repositories to GIT, to the OpenPrinting GitHub.
  • OpenPrinting web site: Switched over the server to use the new GIT repositories of Foomatic, after receiving the appropriate scripts from a GSoC student candidate.
  • Google Summer of Code 2019: Checked the proposals of the students for the OpenPrinting projects . They all (5 students) have submitted their proposals to Google now. A total of 12 proposals got submitted for the Linux Foundation. The submission deadline is today.
  • Avahi: Trent refers to an old bug (Launchpad, CUPS upstream). Seems that Trent and Mike Sweet have to fight out the soilution between them. He also did not answer my last post yet, as cups-browsed works without the part of the patch which Trent does not want to accept.
  • Bugs.

:shield: Livepatch:

• :heart_decoration: Proposed branch to SRU changes to software-properties
  • :heart_decoration: Proposed branch to SRU changes to update-notifier
  • :gear: Working on a fix for “Update-manager suggests to use Livepatch, which is not available”

:notebook: Gedit:

• :heart_decoration: Proposed fix for “Segfault when closing gedit while still loading a file.” (Trello card)
  • :heart_decoration: Proposed fix for “Closing a window will not stop loading a file” (Trello card)

snapd themed icons:

• I’ve started work on a proof of concept implementation of my icon theme support proposal. While there is not yet any consensus on the specifics, the final implementation would likely have a similar shape to my proposal.
  • At present, I’ve been working on getting the directory sync code working to be able to reliably install and remove icons from the shared icon theme tree. Snapd already has utilities for synchronising a single directory: ensuring that it’s contents matching a particular glob is set to a desired state, creating or deleting files as needed. It doesn’t handle the equivalent for a tree of directories, as we have for icon themes. I’m trying to use as much of the existing utility code as possible in the tree version: that way I can piggy back on it’s testing.
2 Likes