Mir-kiosk on a raspberry pi3 with Ubuntu Server 18.04

which would also have been easy to guess by the channels it was published in (edge and beta… never stable) :wink:

Hi @menarcarlos,

I tried several times to run the mir-kiosk snap on a pi3 running ubuntu server 64-bit, without success :frowning_face: . Obviously i’ve used “dtoverlay = vc4-kms-v3d”, i have set the GPU memory to 512 and i have installed the mesa-utils libraries.

Can you report here the full process to get it working, please ?

Thanks

Hi,

pleased to hear you’re trying mir-kiosk and sorry that you’re having difficulties. But you’ll have to provide some more information before I can help.

You’ve clearly seen the changes needed to enable kernel graphics, but for Mir to run as a daemon on classic systems…

Specifically,

After that you should see the “orange flash” indicating that Mir has started successfully.

If that’s not what you’re seeing then the logs may provide a clue:

HTH

Got it working!!

I am going to report here clearly how to set it up:
-install, sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade.

• place :
    gpu_mem=512
    dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
    cma-256

inside the file usrcfg.txt and then reboot.

• sudo snap install mir-kiosk --devmode
  • sudo snap set mir-kiosk daemon=true

Now, this SD card should work on any PI3 rigth? also PI3b+ or 3A

I’ve tried the same procedure with a PI4 but the OpenGL acceleration seems not working yet on it :cry:

Anyway thank you, i think that i was doing some king of stupid error somewhere.

1 Like

Great that you have it working!

Just one thing…

…there is no need for devmode in this scenario.

Hi @maumx2

Sorry for late response, i’m glad you made it work!!
It is not really difficult when you have the help of @alan_g

regards.

It’s true, @alan_g thank you very much! i am going to place the snap with the right confinement.

Now i do have another small problem maybe @dot-tobias can help me: i have done the same procedure for the raspberry PI4 and now i have the mir-kiosk snap working (orange blink and then black screen with cursor). wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk fails to start with this log:

sudo snap logs wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk
2020-04-04T22:21:23Z -[4543]: Renderer process terminated and failed to recover within 1000ms
2020-04-04T22:21:23Z -[4543]: <URL(changed)> Crash!: The renderer process crashed. Reloading the page may fix intermittent failures.
2020-04-04T22:21:23Z -[4543]: <URL(changed)> Crash!: The renderer process crashed. Reloading the page may fix intermittent failures.
2020-04-04T22:21:23Z wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk.browser[4385]: EGLDisplay Initialization failed: EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
2020-04-04T22:21:24Z -[4543]: Renderer process terminated and failed to recover within 1000ms
2020-04-04T22:21:24Z -[4543]: <URL(changed)> Crash!: The renderer process crashed. Reloading the page may fix intermittent failures.
2020-04-04T22:21:24Z -[4543]: <URL(changed)> Crash!: The renderer process crashed. Reloading the page may fix intermittent failures.
2020-04-04T22:21:24Z wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk.browser[4385]: EGLDisplay Initialization failed: EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
2020-04-04T22:21:24Z -[4543]: Renderer process terminated and failed to recover within 1000ms

is there somethin i am missing?

nope, you are not … accelerated GL is not properly working yet on the Pi4 (@raof is working on it) XWayland clients fail in general currently … see:

Raspberry Pi 4 - chromium-mir-kiosk - #9 by RAOF - device - snapcraft.io

Thank you @ogra, i have seen that, i just have to wait :upside_down_face:.
I have to setup a Kiosk and i wanted to use a snap based system, at this point i have to give-up using Ubuntu and wait for accelerated GL.
thanks very much to everyone for the support.

Hi @menarcarlos,

Hope you are doing great!

I am trying to achieve the same as what you achieved using the Ubuntu server. Went through all conversation and steps but still, it is not working for me.

At the end of your conversation you have mentioned that you will share the document for that, can please share it with me that would be very helpful for me?

it might be more helpful if you described what you tried in detail, what failed and if you give us the exact errors we can help you along :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @ogra,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I resolved the issue by configuring wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk in daemon mode. Now it is working fine.

1 Like

I’d recommend using Ubuntu Frame rather than mir-kiosk. It does everything mir-kiosk does and more while being easier to configure.

1 Like

I have installed Ubuntu server in raspberry pi 3B+, please help me to configure it in Access point mode(hotspot). If possible please share docs or link.

i have never tried this on Ubuntu Server so your mileage may vary but you could try to use my Ubuntu Core AP setup:

If I use Ubuntu frame then I can skip the steps mentioned above(i.e. installation and configuration of mesa-utils library )?

I don’t think there was ever any need to install mesa-utils, but any configuration of the OS needed by mir-kiosk will also be needed by Ubuntu Frame.

1 Like

Thanks @alan_g.

I have one more question, how to set the hostname for the ubuntu server and ssh it via hostname instead of IP address. Every time it is hard to find the IP address.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Does Ubuntu Server 20.04 support GPIO?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Ubuntu Frame with WPE on Raspberry Pi 4