Making Ubuntu LTS Desktop the Best of the Best

What sticks out to you that would make Ubuntu the best of the best?

1. Automated maintenance (remove obsolete kernels and dependencies)
  2. More customization – themes, changing icon types, changing icon and folder colors, file manager icon changes for pictures (like Windows 10)
  3. Improve the welcome tour to help new users set up their new Ubuntu
  4. Improving Snap performance
  5. Improving Software Center performance

I am new and there is a lot I haven’t figured out, but these are just some of the suggestions I have… but what suggestions do YOU have?

1 Like

For me is importend to bind Ubuntu to an Univention domain :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think all of your points are important, but the two that stand out to me the most are 3 and 5.

Ubuntu already has a “welcome tour”, but it’s really quite quick and only covers the very essentials. If it could be expanded, perhaps to include some basic system settings like backups or networking (kind of like the Windows setup wizard does) - or even a quick “visual tour” of GNOME, pointing out the essentials (apps list, panel, etc.).

Then, the software center - at least for me, it’s interface and layout are excellent, but it’s just slow! Pages take ages to populate, and the app category listings don’t load at all for me. Improving the first place new users will go to get software would definitely make a difference.

Just my 2¢ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After playing around with Ubuntu 22 a little more, I believe most things are nicely tuned by default and happen automatically, already. I do think Software Center needs to get the categories bug fixed, soon lol. All of the other main software comes up and installs just fine, however.

Software Center loads really fast – performance wise as a whole – everything is fast on my machine (AMD Ryzen 5 5500U). There are still some bugs here and there that should be fixed… and I need my keyboard backlighting toggle.

Seems already implemented for over 20 years with apt. Perhaps an example might make the exact issue clear. Keep in mind that fix-this-bug is not really a suggestion for improvement (it’s a bug).

Talk to the upstream open-source desktop environment developers. Ubuntu distributes their open-source software (that’s why it’s called a ‘distro’); they are not our vendors, they are independent.

Also already implemented, so it’s not clear what you are suggesting. Ubuntu is designed to not require new users to “set up” their systems. On most hardware, Ubuntu simply works. The Ubuntu developers welcome community-contributed improvements.

The snapd developers welcome community members who want to help test and troubleshoot, aiding their efforts to fix this issue. If your troubleshooting of this issue identifies a specific bug, please file a bug report.

The Gnome Software developers welcome community members who want to help test and troubleshoot, aiding their efforts to fix this issue. If your troubleshooting of this issue identifies a specific bug, please file a bug report.

1 Like

Yeah, per my last reply, it seems that Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is actually very well tuned by default. I had no idea that Gnome had their own community – and that it was not a Canonical project. I am learning something new everyday! Thank you!