Language settings and resetting to home page after idle time out

I want to use ubuntu frame for my companies intranet, running on Intel x64 based AIOs. I tried it with ubuntu core and later with ubuntu desktop as OS and installed ubuntu frame.

I still look for a way to get the system to accept a real german keyboard and have a german locale, because the website display language is based on the system/browser locale, so it always loads the english version at the moment.

I tried “locale” and “dpkg-reconfigure locales” and couple more (at least on ubuntu desktop) but mir does not care about those changes.

Another feature I’m looking for would be an auto reload (back to default page) after x minutes idle timeout. maybe even with browser cache/cookie clearing, so the next “user” starts without any leftovers.

You can set the keyboard layout for Ubuntu Frame with the keymap configuration option.

https://mir-server.io/docs/ubuntu-frame-configuration-options

We don’t maintain a browser snap, but I assume you are referring to wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk. That is maintained by GLANCR labs, they may be able to assist with your browser related queries. Their contact information is here:

$ snap info wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk | head
name:    wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk
summary: WPE Webkit in kiosk mode. Intended for mir-kiosk on embedded
  devices.
publisher: GLANCR labs (glancr)
store-url: https://snapcraft.io/wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk
license:   unset
description: |
  WPE Webkit [1] is an official port of the WebKit project.
1 Like

Hi @dth666mtl0, thanks for your feedback!

Let me split your message into separate topics:

1. German keyboard
    You can configure Frame to have a german keyboard mapping with the --keymap option:

$ ubuntu-frame --help
    # ...
       --keymap arg (=us)    keymap <layout>[+<variant>[+<options>]]
                             , e,g, "gb" or "cz+qwerty" or 
                             "de++compose:caps"
    # ...

See here about how to make that a permanent setting.

2. German language on the website
    This will depend on what browser you’re using. The WPE kiosk snap indeed seems to send Accept-Language: en-US regardless of environment:

$ nc -l 8080
    GET / HTTP/1.1
    Host: localhost:8080
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/16.0 Safari/605.1.15
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Connection: Keep-Alive

If you have no way of forcing the language on the website, say as a URL parameter, please ask the browser maintainers what could be done - for example the WPE snap¹.

3. Similarly, to reset on idle, it would have to be a browser function. WPE does not store any data between sessions, so just restarting the browser would work, but at the moment there’s no way to detect when to do that. We do have a --idle-timeout option:

--idle-timeout arg (=0)    Time (in seconds) Mir will remain idle 
                                 before turning off the display, or 0 to
                                 keep display on forever.

But that’s not going to be enough, in itself - or the right solution if you don’t want to turn off the screen. That’s something, again, the browser could do on its own (again, for WPE - upstream snap¹) - but we’ll think of how could Frame help that.

¹: https://gitlab.com/glancr/wpe-webkit-snap/

2 Likes