Firefox Snap Testing 2021-2022

Bug reported against xdg-desktop-portal here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdg-desktop-portal/+bug/1970489

Sorry if this was already discussed. I notice that firefox is using an old version of mesa when running snapped. In about:support I get Mesa 21.0.3 (almost a year old and unsupported), while the default 22.04 install brings Mesa 22.0.1.

It is not a problem for my PC as far as I can see, but it may be a problem for people using newer GPUs.

this will solve itself once the firefox snap can move to base: core22, core22 is just not released to stable yet, but should be soon …

2 Likes

This, and the availability of the corresponding GNOME platform snap, gnome-42-2204.

1 Like

… and the availability of the gnome-42 extension in snapcraft :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like something screwed up, last update I got was GTK themes for snap. And now it looks like FF is ganky looking. Light with blue has Adwaita looking theme, light with Orange looks like old mixed Yaru and dark with any accent color looks like Adwaita dark. None of them take the accent colors.
Edit: I am on Ubuntu 22.04.
Screenshot from 2022-05-04 19-54-23 Screenshot from 2022-05-04 19-54-10 Screenshot from 2022-05-04 19-53-56

1 Like

Does it look different if you refresh your gtk-common-themes to candidate or beta?

I’ve been using those two channels because the stable version is from
2021-09-22!

So you’re saying you got an update for gtk-common-themes, and the theming for Firefox regressed? Or did it regress when you upgraded to 22.04 ?

1 Like

I got an update for gtk-common-themes and that when the regression happened. Even the Snap Store (Ubuntu Software) looks bad.

I haven’t touched anything regarding that. I will make sure I am not on the beta/candidate channel. This system is the family PC w/o any tinkering.
Edit: I am on the stable channel

Hello…this is new. Does this mean that Firefox snap will no longer crash when updated?

2 Likes

Should I do a new post on Snapcraft Forum regarding this? As this also extends of Chromium. I am assuming any GTK3 application.

@oSoMoN The stable channel of gtk-common-themes has been consistently out of date, at least since the last release.

I had forgot I did this, but I’ve been using the candidate or beta channel (they’ve had the same version) since Impish came out. I did this because that was when the mixed Yaru theme went away and Yaru-light was renamed Yaru, so without the updated gtk-common-themes, Chromium didn’t find the right theme when I set my system to 'Yaru'.

Since stable gtk-common-themes is still from Sep 2021, I don’t think it could include any of the new Yaru color themes from Jammy unless I don’t understand something. I’m surprised no one else noticed this actually! I only missed it because I was already on the beta channel.

2 Likes

That’s amazing, I change gtk to the candidate channel and now the color themes match.

Also where is firefox 100. I thought the point of snaps were faster updates from mozilla.

I made a post on the Snapcraft forum:

1 Like

In the candidate channel, the Mozilla release team will decide when to promote it to stable.

2 Likes

Another thing I just noticed.

The spellchecker only works in English. I installed the firefox add-on for my language (Spanish), but it doesn’t appear as a language option in the spellcheck. I never had this problem on the .deb.

Is this a known limitation?

3 Likes

How did you install it? If you right click on a textentry -> lang -> add dictionnary and you install the one for the language you want it should be listed

1 Like

That’s how I did it and the new language doesn’t appear on the menu.

1 Like

Reporting back … Jammy should be using the stable/ubuntu-22.04 channel, which is up-to-date. So if you’re like me and ever switched channels, run

snap refresh gtk-common-themes --channel=stable/ubuntu-22.04
4 Likes