Firefox Snap Testing 2021-2022

Please file a bug so that the problem can be tracked and investigated.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know

Looks like Bugzilla don’t like me… would love to file a bug but can’t… run in to register issues

Ok, could finally open a user account… bug is filed

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1786499

2 Likes

Thanks, I was able to fix it,
but I did not hardcode the link to the Icon.
I just used the standard XFCE desktop functionality to add an (existing) app to a panel by right clicking the application in the menu an selecting add to panel.
It means the source contained a version specific link to an icon.

Hi @SergioCostas
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately Snap Store is based on GNOME Software. I’m running XFCE desktop manager. So no Snap Store is installed. I manually update snaps from the command line to stop the frequent messages from re-appearing.

From experience I can answer that snapd does not do a check for the specific PID that has to be updated. When it is killed it does not do an update in that precise moment. One has to be vigilant in updating the snaps manually each time the notification messages (that appear on top of all windows) start appearing or you have to endure the constant messages until the countdown days expire. I could never take that so long, because the notification popup messages keep getting in the way of other content.

Yes, I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 with Gnome version 42.4. My Firefox is version 104.0.2.

Whenever the system boots to the desktop on a Wayland session, upon clicking on the Firefox app icon, it opens with a black window and the only way to redress this is to close it (quit) and reopen it. This doesn’t save the tabs and windows which were opened previously and were meant to open on restart.

This has been happening since the beginning.

This doesn’t happen on a X11 session.

Cc: @sabdfl

1 Like

This sounds like bug #1987976. Can you please share details about your configuration there?

1 Like

Yet another issue with Firefox Snap:
The Notifications configuration (xfce4-notifyd-config) is filling up with obsolete Snap remnants of Firefox:
notifications_config-app_xfce4-notifyd-config_filling_up_Screenshot_2022-09-21_09-14-25

I was looking for a way to stop the constant Snap update notifications from popping up on top of all other windows, but also switching them off in the xfce4-notifyd-config is a very temporary fix. At each new Snap update a new entry is added, but the old entries are never cleaned out. This is way to high maintenance.

(Xubuntu 22.04 LTS, XFCE with Firefox 105.0 (64-bit) cannonical-002 - 1.0)

TBH this looks like a bug with the XFCE notification system … (if at all, it should point to /snap/firefox/current or /snap/bin/firefox)

1 Like

When I click on an HTTP link in a PDF document in Evince, mouse cursor turns into a spinner but nothing else happens. In the terminal where Evince was started from, I see

env: ‘/snap/bin/firefox’: Permission denied

This problem does not happen if Firefox is installed from deb. It does happen with snap version of Chromium too.

From searching on internet, it appears the problem is with AppArmor profiles that don’t allow some applications to run snaps.

This problem is most likely shall be fixed by whoever those AppArmor profiles come from, but since it affects Firefox snap experience, I decided to post it here too, maybe right people will notice.

Stack Overflow Question: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1390520/evince-can-not-open-links-in-snap-firefox (see answer by user gdu with some analysis)
Launchpad bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/1968552

Lets analyze that in the light of the Single Responsibility Principle (SRP) of sound software design.

So there’s a new package manager. It’s responsible for updating packages.

Firefox is a package that is frequently updated. The package manger installs the package, but the package manager is not responsible for cleaning out the remnants of the previous version of the package.

The rest of the world should take care of that.

It seams that the responsibilities of the package manager bleed over to other components in the system whose responsibility was never to update packages.

Well, your notification system does not show applications but paths …

and seemingly even paths that have already been removed from your disk (a typical desktop install of snapd only keeps two versions of the package around).

snapd typically follows XDG standards with all desktop integration bits and other desktops seem to not show this problem, so yes, i’d say there is something wrong in XFCEs notification system implementation.

1 Like

Sure, thank you for the response.

1 Like

I agree this looks odd and unexpected. Please note that there is ongoing work to improve the notification system for pending snap updates, which is known to not be as helpful as it should be.

As suggested by @ogra, this particular issue might be relatively easily fixed in XFCE’s settings applications to hide paths to applications that don’t exist anymore. Would you mind filing a bug to open the discussion upstream?

1 Like

And the main bug report to track is #1794064.

2 Likes

Since a recent update to the firefox snap I noticed the window tittle doesn’t use the Ubuntu font anymore. I see the same problem both in the stable and in the beta channels. Can anyone reproduce?

Edit: important detail I missed, this is under Ubuntu 22.10.

2 Likes

Can you share the output of snap connections firefox ?

1 Like

Here it is:

snap connections firefox
Interfaz Enchufe Ranura Notas
audio-playback firefox:audio-playback :audio-playback -
audio-record firefox:audio-record :audio-record -
avahi-observe firefox:avahi-observe :avahi-observe -
browser-support firefox:browser-sandbox :browser-support -
camera firefox:camera :camera -
content[gnome-3-38-2004] firefox:gnome-3-38-2004 gnome-3-38-2004:gnome-3-38-2004 -
content[gtk-3-themes] firefox:gtk-3-themes gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes -
content[icon-themes] firefox:icon-themes gtk-common-themes:icon-themes -
content[sound-themes] firefox:sound-themes gtk-common-themes:sound-themes -
cups-control firefox:cups-control - -
dbus - firefox:dbus-daemon -
desktop firefox:desktop :desktop -
desktop-legacy firefox:desktop-legacy :desktop-legacy -
gsettings firefox:gsettings :gsettings -
hardware-observe firefox:hardware-observe :hardware-observe -
home firefox:home :home -
joystick firefox:joystick :joystick -
mount-control firefox:host-hunspell :mount-control -
mpris - firefox:mpris -
network firefox:network :network -
network-bind firefox:network-bind :network-bind -
network-observe firefox:network-observe :network-observe manual
opengl firefox:opengl :opengl -
personal-files firefox:dot-mozilla-firefox :personal-files -
removable-media firefox:removable-media :removable-media -
screen-inhibit-control firefox:screen-inhibit-control :screen-inhibit-control -
system-files firefox:etc-firefox-policies :system-files -
system-packages-doc firefox:system-packages-doc :system-packages-doc -
u2f-devices firefox:u2f-devices :u2f-devices -
unity7 firefox:unity7 :unity7 -
upower-observe firefox:upower-observe :upower-observe -
wayland firefox:wayland :wayland -
x11 firefox:x11 :x11 -

1 Like

Some more info.

The .tar of firefox works fine, so it seems to be an issue with the snap.

Also, not only the font in the interface is weird, also in some webpages. For example, see the screenshot with a google.com search with firefox installed via snap and the .tar.

Snap on the left, tar on the right.