Jammy Jellyfish 22.04 Wallpaper Competition Winners!

Thank you to everyone who participated and voted in the Jammy Jellyfish wallpaper competition! We are seriously stunned by all of the creative talent in our community, and we hope all of you submitted keep photographing/programming/creating. Look for the next wallpaper competition in a few months - and sooner than that, look for a post on improving the competition and regrowing the open culture part of our community. And if you contributed to the competition, check on your badges - you’ll have a new one soon! :eyes:

Our Winners (included in the ISO)

@elenastravoravdi

full-scale image

@hiking93

full-scale image

@hiking93

full-scale image

@elenastravoravdi

full-scale image

@kenvandine thank you for making room for the dark mode photo of our light mode jellyfish, but our third place photo as well. :slight_smile:

Our Finalists

In no particular order, here are the remaining images who were particularly appealing to our community! :tada:

@UNakade

@arman1992

@roytanck

@elenastravoravdi

@arman1992

@kcpru

17 Likes

Amazing winners! Super excited to rock them in the daily build tomorrow :slight_smile: and I’ll be adding those finalists to my wallpaper gallery as well. Great work!

4 Likes

I wonder if we could find a way to package and distribute the finalist images too?

They add up to another 9.1MB. Given how big software is these days anyway, I would love to see an extra 9.1MB allocated to offering more wallpapers out of the box.

13 Likes

The yellow flower reminds me of GNOME 2 days.

1 Like

As someone who uses Ubuntu MATE on my main desktop, that makes me really happy!

1 Like

Daniel, combined with some of your ideas on improving the artwork submission process, and some good conversations I’ve been having with @kylew01 who was one of our contributors to the contest, it would be great to see 22.10, save for the official wallpaper, full of community contributions voted in by the community. @kenvandine what do you think? :grin:

1 Like

Let me ask @seb128 to weigh in here. I think it’s very low risk, thoughts?

3 Likes

I meant for 22.04, since we have some great wallpapers and that’s the release most people will be using for the next two years.

8 Likes

I would be fine adding some yes, our default set feels a bit limited and the impact on the diskspace seems reasonable

11 Likes

Am I alone to like non distracting background image? Best for day and night https://github.com/alexmyczko/autoexec.bat/blob/master/gray.png

@tar, No, you are not alone; although, some of the photos are really nice - I wish I could visit some of the places where the photos were taken. I prefer muted, darker backgrounds on my screen.

1 Like

Solid colour backgrounds can be set in GNOME by:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color '#7a7b80'
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri ''

I think there are plans to drop that feature in future but it still works in GNOME 42.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community here on Discourse, and feel free to introduce yourself!

I agree on wanting to go to some of these places - and we also hear you and many others on wanting more diversity in the community-created wallpapers. Daniel had a great piece of advice below, and we’ll have a chat soon about how to improve the variety of wallpapers in the final selection, make a better submission and voting process, and how to better support community artists and art!

1 Like

Also setting picture-uri-dark to an empty string is relevant, when dark theme is used.

2 Likes

Alternatively, you could use a flutter project I started (but got many help) https://github.com/Feichtmeier/settings (very alpha, very alpha) just for the fun :slight_smile:

yaya

(there is also a bing/nasa image of the day feature included)

The releases are horribly outdated though, need to update soon ^^

4 Likes

@anon66904900 Allan, I know the winners for Jammy are out, but is there any chance you will re-do your fantastic Focal “black” or “dark” version?

I have been using it ever since and would love to have a similar version for Jammy.

Thanks!

1 Like

Those were really wonderful! I know Allan is off-line for a while, so his response might not come quickly, but I do hope he makes those wallpapers for Jammy!

1 Like

the reason i prefer the image over your command (that is perfectly possible is), being a multi os / multi window manager/desktop environment user, the command would be different (if existant) at all. a fan of consistency wants one portable way…

For solid color background you can create a small .png (I use 100x100 pixel images) filled with the color you prefer

2 Likes