Is ubuntu-software going to be remove for snap:snap-store?

Does gnome-{calculator,logs,characters} switching from snap to deb mean that users/testers of the pre-release must manually uninstall the snap versions? Because my last apt-get dist-upgrade installed the deb versions, and now I’ve got both versions of those three applications. I’m not sure what to do or if I’m even meant to do anything?

I asked in the #ubuntu+1 channel and another user confirms having two calculators, the snap and the deb.

Reciprocally, are we supposed to manually install the snap-store snap to reflect the change from deb to snap in the distribution?

Wait, so then there will be two GNOME Software apps, the Snap version and the deb version? That would be confusing.

No, there will be only a snap.

… installed by default. :slight_smile:

As I understand it there will be a migration, but that might not be done yet. Same applies for the others going snap->deb.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Inkscape snap .config

@Wimpress and @popey Thank you for the response. I was actually referring to this part of the response from @kenvandine

For flatpak you just need to install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak like you do today. That would bring in the gnome-software as a deb, which will still be maintained.

So what I’m asking is will I be able to install Flatpak apps (by installing gnome-software-plugin-flatpak) from the GNOME Software snap that will be in Ubuntu 20.04+?

To be clear, there will still be a deb package of gnome-software in the archive that can be installed. It will be installed as a dependency if you install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak. If you choose to do that, you will have two versions of gnome-software installed, but that is not the out of box experience. I think advanced users that choose to do that will understand why there are two versions.

The deb version of gnome-software will no longer be called “Ubuntu Software”, we will remove that branding. This should prevent confusion.

6 Likes

Thank you for the clarification @kenvandine.

1. Would uninstalling Ubuntu Software snap be possible without affecting the Ubuntu Desktop?
  2. Can the GNOME Software deb version still install snaps via gnome-software-plugin-snap?

I ask because I’d like to be able to install deb, snap and flatpak packages all from one app and GNOME Software on Ubuntu 18.04 through 19.10 allows that.

4 Likes

OK thanks! Wait and see.

@kenvandine - Can the GNOME Software deb version, if installed, still be able to install snaps via gnome-software-plugin-snap in 20.04 LTS?

Yes, if you have gnome-software-plugin-snap installed

2 Likes

Great! Thanks.

But it does make me wonder, what’s the advantage of the snap Software Center then? Seems like the deb version can do all the things the Snap version can and more.

This really wasn’t mentioned at all in the OMGUbuntu article, but snap packages are automatically updated which is great for a release like the LTS that will be around for many years. And installed Snap packages normally checks for updates several times a day and then installs it automatically.

4 Likes

As @madsrh says, it allows the team to iterate fast, deliver new features and fixes faster than revving the deb in the archive.

A secondary benefit, is that users of older releases such as 18.04 and 16.04 can install it, and get all the benefits of the new releases.

5 Likes

Can I turn off the automatic updates? I have a limited connection and I really hate it when snap does this. I’d also like to install updates when I want to so this is very important for me.

2 Likes

I made a video about this very subject just a couple of days ago. It covers delaying / deferring updates, and even configuring putting updates on hold when you’re on a limited connection. Should answer all your questions. if not, feel free to come back and ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVZOBgTDJWc

8 Likes

Would those ‘default’ snap apps still be available in the repos as debs, or are you taking them off the repos?

I love that feature, for example I use Firefox beta snap, I don’t have do anything to it as it gets updated in the background for me and I will have the latest beta on my system. Very handy.

2 Likes

Would these be accessible via the new Snap Ubuntu Software store?