Installing Ubuntu 21.04 on the HiFive Unmatched

I’m glad the guide helped! I also hope to see SPI-NOR flashed from factory some day or on a future board.

Thanks for your guidelines!
They worked great :smile:

The only flaw I noticed, was the fact, that each reference to the image
is an absolute path, instead of being a relative one:

/ubuntu-21.04-preinstalled-server-riscv64+unmatched.img

versus

ubuntu-21.04-preinstalled-server-riscv64+unmatched.img

I have a working wifi USB dongle (confirmed working with the factory OS image) and no access to an ethernet connection. Does anyone know how to get wifi up and running with the ubuntu-21.04-preinstalled-server-riscv64+unmatched.img.xz ?

Thanks!

Does the adapter appear when typing ip addr?

If so you’ll use netplan to configure the networking. Here is an example of my working netplan config. The file is /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml

network:
    ethernets:
        zz-all-en:
            dhcp4: true
            match:
                name: en*
            optional: true
        zz-all-eth:
            match:
                name: eth*

wifis:
        wlp5s0:
            access-points:
                "MyWifiSSID":
                    password: "MyWifiPassword"

Where wlp5s0 is the name of the adapter that appears while running ip addr.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes ip addr shows:

3: wlx74da3858bcf4: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000

I have been trying to get this working by editing that exact config file as was suggested on some forums for the raspberry pi image. It just doesn’t seem to work.

sudo netplan --debug generate
sudo netplan --debug try

give some references to wpa_supplicant, wpa_supplicant is not installed on the default 21.04 unmatched server image, is it possible I need that to get wifi working?

Great to see this coming together!

In order to make the Gnome desktop work faster on this device, one likely important step would be to make 3D math operations use the Vector extension. This can be done centrally in the graphene library, which is used e.g. by the Shell and GTK4.

So if anyone here likes to do a small SIMD exercise on this exciting device, please consider looking into https://github.com/ebassi/graphene/issues/237 :slight_smile:

Listen I have Hp laptop, when I try to install this in my laptop then I was facing an issue like hp docking station for laptop.

Hi there! This is a guide for installing Ubuntu on a very specific piece of hardware that needs some special instructions. To install on an HP laptop you could try following this guide: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-desktop#1-overview

If your docking station still isn’t working you may want to try disabling secure boot in the BIOS or posting in askubuntu with details about your laptop and docking station models.

I have acquired a HiFive Unmatched, and am in the process of setting it up for Postgres community buildfarm usage. I’d really appreciate it if you could describe how to flash bootloaders to EEPROM.

I’m primarily interested in getting rid of need to keep the SD card plugged in; booting directly from the SSD would be ideal.