Install Ubuntu desktop 18.04

Thanks for your kind guidance… Much appreciated!!!.
I was also installing ubuntu 18.04 for the first time along with my windows environment. Have tried the option " Something else" and had already created separate partitions for this installation, but got stuck with some issues (e.g No root was defined etc). I tried with other Options, this time " Use LVM with the new ubuntu installation" . But unfortunately this one click caused loss of my windows environment (around 600 GB data, with more than 100 applications configurations/installations ). No doubt its my mistake, but just a humble request if these options can be proceeded with warning dialog box and clearly defining the operations sections in future.
Thanks…

Is this tutorial going to be upgraded to 20.04?

In the Boot from USB flash drive, we should add or provide a link to instructions on burning an iso to a flash drive.

2 Likes

We should warn the user to update BIOS. I just lost five hours because my Dell BIOS was from 2017 and had difficulty booting the 20.04.1 USB image. In my situation it was probably due to a change in the encoding of a file from gzip to lz.

can you please include ubuntu partitioning along with this blog

I am here to re-install an existing 18.04.5LTS to repair very broken python env. Repairing existing install should be a major tutorial category. I’m very surprised that its taken me hours of looking to find this tutorial. the above comment describes my situation: re-installation. topics should include how to preserve partitions and most importantly how to preserve /home/ directory structure if possible, or how to archive and then re-store after re-loading the OS. the above comment also raises concern that the functionality might be removed. please add screenshots that show this option. thanks so much for reading this feedback.

In the language list, is there Chinese? :face_with_monocle:

Yes, of course. Both simplified and traditional.

1 Like

I see some format typos that could be fixed.

• In sections Allocate drive space and Select your location there is a text "positive\r\n:" that I don’t know what is trying to say. Is it a tag element no closed or something like that?
  • In other parts of the tutorial there are ":" characters wrongly placed.

I’m using browser Microsoft Edge Versión 89.0.774.68 (64 bit)

I guess it is something to do with your browser since I have no issues with reading this in Firefox.

The “boot menu” image is missing.

I have two things to point out:

1. Often documentation for how to open BIOS settings on a computer is hard to find – Most modern EFI computers hide the startup key altogether, and it took me about a week to find it.
    It’s worth putting on there that Windows can open BIOS settings for you by opening the Power menu (in the bottom-left corner of Start or the bottom-right on the login screen), and clicking Restart while holding Shift. You click Advanced Options, then UEFI Firmware Settings. From there it’s trivial to find the boot menu, for me it comes up with this menu:
F1 System Info
F2 Diagnostics
F9 Boot Options
F10 BIOS Settings

Go to http://support.hp.com/ for more info.

And then I press F9.
2. There’s no mention of how to create a bootable USB drive. Maybe include info about Rufus or Fedora Media Writer?

Also, I can confirm that the colons and out-of-place boolean values that 00fede saw are not a browser issue – I see the same in Firefox on Ubuntu 20.10 and Chrome on Android 9.
And there are a few missing images, that just show this XML:

<Error>
  <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
  <Message>Access Denied</Message>
  <RequestId>7FJDH3FZNH9BEN9S</RequestId>
  <HostId>
    XbJ3d83gLhq9UabxtrrQv7BaRf+ota7SaRslnRjstxOu7z2vaIp+vc1Nf842jMxGoSgBXekcCT4=
  </HostId>
</Error>

This comment is, admittedly, very critical, but I think that it’s justified given the gravity of the situation here.

These instructions do not mention that the user is not able to boot with the iso file downloaded on the site, and that they first have to make their USB bootable using third party software like Rufus. In my opinion, this is one of the worst blunders in writing and/or product design I have personally seen (I say product design since instructions on how to acquire the product may be viewed as part of the product itself). The author has wasted countless hours of people’s lives who have read this guide and tried to boot via an unbootable USB. This is bad not only because of the effect is has on the user’s behavior, but also because a) it’s likely the first thing new users navigate to immediately after downloading the iso, and b) it should have been extremely obvious why it is important to mention software like Rufus when writing instructions on how to install Ubuntu.

Given the magnitude of this blunder, perhaps something has to change internally within Ubuntu to stop things like this from happening in the future.

1 Like

have you clicked the link that says

if you pick Create a bootable USB stick on Windows on the page it takes you to, you have the full instructions about installing rufus and how to use it with the image on windows …

Maybe I could have explained this more clearly, but I think you are missing the point here.
Ubuntu has a tutorial about how to install their product, and this is the tutorial we are commenting on. This tutorial is leaving out key information, i.e., how to make the usb bootable. It does not matter that there are “several [other] tutorials” that are linked to earlier on in the article because they are not linked to in the page users are expecting this information to be, i.e., the one that talks about booting from a usb.

Are you aware that the line i linked is the last line of the Requirements paragraph of exactly this tutorial ?

i’m not really sure what you are complaining about here, should it move somewhere else ?

would you pull all 6-8 tutorials for all different ways to write (note, there is nothing to be “made bootable”, the image is already bootable, you just write it raw to a device) a USB stick on mac, windows and all possible linux distros into this tutorial directly instead (making it pretty much unreadable) ?

do you want blink tags somewhere to highlight the link more or should the sentence be re-phrased ?

what exactly is your suggestion for improvement ?

if you’d just quote the block you want changed and show us the changes you’d like to see i think things would be easier …

re “last line of requirements paragraph”: I referenced this in my last comment, although, admittedly, edited it in post hoc, so you might not have seen that yet.

re “what am I complaining about”: given the last two comments I wrote, I actually have no idea how I could have made this more clear.

re “suggestion for improvement”: this should also be very obvious given the last two comments as well, and I can’t believe I am actually needing to type this out. Obviously, the tutorial should instruct users how to make their USB bootable in the one section that is specifically about booting a USB.

EDIT: Actually, in hindsight, I can see how I was maybe a bit unclear about what my suggestion was since, in the original comment, I didn’t see and never mentioned those linked at the end of the “requirements” section. Still, despite this error, I think it should be very clear what it is that is needing to be done here.

“Most computers will boot from USB automatically. Simply insert the USB flash drive and either power on your computer or restart it.”

you might as well say “push the button on the front of your computer”

when searching for “ubuntu create bootable USB” this inane directions shows up twice, if I already had a bootable usb I would not be searching for how to make one.
ok that is my rage / quit for today.

1 Like

Re:

We also have several tutorials that explain how to create an Ubuntu DVD or USB flash drive.

Thanks for pointing out that section, ogra. I missed that line entirely when I read the official version at https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-desktop#2-requirements

Note that that page also has this requirement:

Have access to either a DVD or a USB flash drive containing the version of Ubuntu you want to install.

I just downloaded the ISO to a thumb drive. It thus meets the description, since it contains the version I want, so I didn’t dig in to the instructions you reference.

I suggest changing that earlier line to be much more specific about the need for a “bootable USB drive” or the like, as so many other people here have noted.

1 Like

Hi folks, I’ve read through this thread and taken onboard all the feedback for a refreshed tutorial which you can find here. Some of the changes:

*Added a semi-guided iso burning step in addition to clearly calling out the existing external tutorials
*Added encyption as a step
*Added an update your system step
*Added a link to an external dual boot setup tutorial (I’ll do an in house one down the line)
*All updated with 20.04 images
*Dropped the DVD flow altogether

Any feedback on the new tutorial would be appreciated, we’re working on swapping it into the site and renaming this one the “18.04” tutorial going forward.