Install and Configure Samba

Key Value
Summary Install and configure Samba to share files across a network.
Categories server
Difficulty 1
Author Aden Padilla adenpadilla@gmail.com

Overview

Duration: 1:00

A Samba file server enables file sharing across different operating systems over a network. It lets you access your desktop files from a laptop and share files with Windows and macOS users.

This guide covers the installation and configuration of Samba on Ubuntu.

What you’ll learn

• How to set up a Samba file server
  • How to share files across a local network

What you’ll need

• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  • A Local Area Network (LAN) to share files over

If you have everything ready, let’s dive straight into the installation process on the next step!

Originally authored by Aden Padilla.

Installing Samba

To install Samba, we run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install samba

We can check if the installation was successful by running:

whereis samba

The following should be its output:

samba: /usr/sbin/samba /usr/lib/samba /etc/samba /usr/share/samba /usr/share/man/man7/samba.7.gz /usr/share/man/man8/samba.8.gz

Setting up Samba

Duration: 2:00

Now that Samba is installed, we need to create a directory for it to share:

mkdir /home/<username>/sambashare/

The command above creates a new folder sambashare in our home directory which we will share later.

The configuration file for Samba is located at /etc/samba/smb.conf. To add the new directory as a share, we edit the file by running:

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

At the bottom of the file, add the following lines:

[sambashare]
    comment = Samba on Ubuntu
    path = /home/username/sambashare
    read only = no
    browsable = yes

Then press Ctrl-O to save and Ctrl-X to exit from the nano text editor.

What we’ve just added

• comment: A brief description of the share.
  • path: The directory of our share.

• read only: Permission to modify the contents of the share folder is only granted when the value of this directive is no.

• browsable: When set to yes, file managers such as Ubuntu’s default file manager will list this share under “Network” (it could also appear as browseable).

Now that we have our new share configured, save it and restart Samba for it to take effect:

sudo service smbd restart

Update the firewall rules to allow Samba traffic:

sudo ufw allow samba

Setting up User Accounts and Connecting to Share

Since Samba doesn’t use the system account password, we need to set up a Samba password for our user account:

sudo smbpasswd -a username

Note
Username used must belong to a system account, else it won’t save.

Connecting to Share

On Ubuntu: Open up the default file manager and click Connect to Server then enter: ubuntuctn

On macOS: In the Finder menu, click Go > Connect to Server then enter: macosctn

On Windows, open up File Manager and edit the file path to:

\\ip-address\sambashare

Note: ip-address is the Samba server IP address and sambashare is the name of the share.

You’ll be prompted for your credentials. Enter them to connect! Samba

If you’d like to take your configuration further…

1 Like

Please include the following

sudo smbpasswd -e username

after the line

sudo smbpasswd -a username

Reason: the -e command ENABLES the user (followed tutorial and it didn’t work without that in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

1 Like

Please change the following as the first change to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. It should appear before the addition of the sambashare lines.

In the Share Definitions section under the [homes] section:

read only = no
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775

The above changes are required to allow Win 10 to write to the share.

[sambashare] 
   comment = Samba on Ubuntu 
   path = /home/username/sambashare
   read only = no 
   browsable = yes

That’s probably a typo and should be browseable, at least that’s how it’s written in the example:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
``

A post was split to a new topic: Samba Setup

The provided Samba configuration is outdated and incorrect. Many new changes have been made which makes those setting invalid. Here are the correct settings (works with Windows):

[ Movies]
comment = Movies on Red Tail
path = /mnt/share/movies
read only = no
browsable = yes
public = yes
force user = root
write list = root
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
acl allow execute always = True

1 Like

In config file we have this line

[sambashare]

I think for a newbies, we should also write why we wrote this particular line.

1 Like

Agreed. Also if it could be a different name from the directory being shared, that would be helpful for newer users. I ran into a problem where it wasn’t obvious whether the share name (\ip[this part here) came from the directory’s name or the [sambashare] part. This was only relevant because I was trying to share a folder that wasn’t named ‘sambashare’.

As a fairly new user, I can confirm, this would have been very helpful and would have saved some headaches.

I’d like to suggest telling people they will need wsdd if they want their Linux Samba shares to be visible on Windows. I know wsdd is not part of the Samba project but it (or an equivalent) is essential for most users and not telling them up-front to install it just leads to frustration and unnecessary help requests about “Samba doesn’t work with Windows clients” etc.

sudo apt install wsdd is sufficient for most users on a local network (by default wsdd listens on all interfaces, but can be configured via /etc/default/wsdd).

I suggest to extend the Note in section “Connecting to Share”:
Note: ip-address is the Samba server IP address or ‘your-computers-name.local’ in a local area network (or for a virtual machine on the same computer). sambashare is the name of the share.

Agreed. I struggled with it until I found that the user account needs to be enabled first, from here: Samba/SambaServerGuide - Community Help Wiki

I see this @duncancosser’s comment has been posted about 3 years back, but still the change hasn’t been added yet as of November 2023’

Thanks

this is great documentation! I just thought it would be nice to transpose the list of samba install files vertically for better presentation using the following —
whereis samba | tr ’ ’ ‘\n’

The following should be its output:

samba:
/usr/sbin/samba
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba
/etc/samba
/usr/share/samba
/usr/share/man/man7/samba.7.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/samba.8.gz

Also, because i am all about dynamic and easily reproducible commands, you can just create the first shared samba folder with the following and it outputs the contents of the users’ home directory to make sure the directory was correctly created as expected.

mkdir ~/sambashare/ && ls -l