How can we improve Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish for New Users?

An excellent idea. Some new users may stop the install thinking it failed.

We need to bring the extreme gamier into the Ubuntu Jammy 22.04 LTS. equation. More Wayland, Set on the fly ( flick the switch) Firewall.
9 dots being replaced by a Ubuntu Logo. “Go to the Ubuntu logo on bottom left” I have had the same problem with new users on support.
When installing Ubuntu, No black screens. Message from developer what is happening now? A message for what is going on -OR- An Ubuntu all the way through the install…
“Black Screen Of Death” for new users means install or my Ubuntu has failed.
Art or an Ubuntu logo supported until after login and OS opens!
This is our summary for now remind me if I missed any one.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Qimme2

This may not even be an issue, but I’ll raise it anyway as I see out of space issues frequently in support.

The minimum disk space for Ubuntu Desktop was increased to 25GB by Will Cooke prior to the release of Ubuntu 17.10.

Another member did some testing & found the minimum disk space required for Ubuntu Desktop installs is 8.6GB; which I know I for one couldn’t live with with how I use my system.

My / is 27GB but I bloat my system with multiple desktops so I’m atypical. I try and keep ~2GB free so I can perform upgrades etc… but even that’s a problem with some snaps. eg. my telegram-desktop hasn’t been able to be upgraded failing with lack of disk space.

Not all of us use systems with large disks so use smaller partitions (many in support are using VMs following 3rd party guides that say 10GB is plenty), but I wonder if something clearer should be documented about disk space required; or we need to review our current recommended minimums. (to me 25GB is still okay; but 8.6GB is too small)

(Maybe nothing needs be done; my example telegram-desktop is 3rd party so it’s up to me to make sure I have enough space for it; however I suspect many users will expect space to allow for apps…)

2 Likes

Well put their are “System Requirements” to observe
especially when testing to ensure that each test is
adequate and correct for the parameters required
for the full function of the Ubuntu operating system.
This ensures the full operational system testing
requirements as a set standard determined by Ubuntu
25GB of Hard Drive space.
Understanding this standard in a way to improve Ubuntu… i.e. Testing.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Boot problem

Improve Software Center and it’s functionalities.
Without need of root and ‘hard’ coding:

• Add easy to use method to allow changing Default Application for file extensions.
  • Add easy to use method to create “shortcuts” for ‘portable’/archived applications - like Windows Create Desktop Shortcut, Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start Menu.
1 Like

Improve the Ubuntu theme and add an application for changing of colours option just like Zorin OS

images

2 Likes

Hello

In my opinion, Ubuntu is lacking a welcome/first steps screen, where the most important initial steps are explained and where you can click on links that contain useful pieces of information. For example, the Ubuntu wiki, askubuntu.com, or useful tutorials could be linked in this welcome dialog. We have already seen many examples for those welcome screens, like in Mint, Manjaro, or even Windows Vista/7.

3 Likes

How about adding something similar to Ubuntu Budgie?

3 Likes

Make the Software store better? Implement a fnt backend?

1 Like

Drop the snap store, and use gnome-software with snaps, flathub and deb sources instead.

8 Likes

I have to say that after 2 years using the Snap Store , I’m about to switch all my clients to gnome-software for flatpak support and instant launch.

Does the " instant update" snap feature of the “gnome-software snap” really helped us during the 20.04 era ?

1 Like

@vanvugt : No chance to have a real Ubuntu icon for the app drawer ?

It is our Ubuntu dock anyway …

1 Like

Another suggestion: preinstall the incredibly useful Extension Manager app which, as also the above article states, “is necessary” given the immutable canonical decision to ship Firefox as a snap: GNOME extensions won’t no longer be installable through firefox!

2 Likes

This is done

That’s the case currently but the Desktop Team are aware of the problem as is Mozilla.

Launchpad: #1741074
Mozilla: #1661935

Hopefully the issue will be resolved in due course.

4 Likes

Good to know! However I still think this extension should be preinstalled in Ubuntu and maybe appear in GNOME settings. Ubuntu did similar decisions in the past, when the desktop team decided to preinstall DING, Dash to dock and Indicators. I don’t see why such an important feature of GNOME is still hidden behind a (not preinstalled) Firefox extension.

1 Like

The NativeMessaging portal is hopefully fixed for 22.04. and no extension is necessary then. I think that adding extensions is not going to be made too obvious because any additional extension can cause non-obvious GNOME-Shell crashes and other bugs. All in all those are somewhat hacks, even if the dock, appindicators and DING are somewhat supported by Ubuntu. But advertising extensions can cause the bug trackers to be flooded.

4 Likes

I second this. Having an app for extensions preinstalled could give the impression that its something equivalent to the “get new” feature in Plasma or the Cinnamon spices function in Mint. Otherwise it would be important to include a warning message that extensions are not official Ubuntu packages and can cause serious instability.

2 Likes