Groovy to use GRUB2 for booting installer media in any modes on all architectures

I have checked the arrangement yet it didnt encouraged me!

Sorry to bother again,

Unless a last minute bugfix (Bug on Launchpad), I think that the trouble with the installer that doesnā€™t recognize old BIOS system (or Legacy mode in modern Uefi) should be mentioned in the Hirsute Hippo Draft Release Notes

Iā€™m writing here because that thread doesnā€™t accept replies. If someone could write in the draft releases note, it would be great.

Anyway, this bug is really serious.
The installer acts like if it were performing a standard installation on computers with Uefi, expecting to find an existing EFI (ESR) partition or, in case of automatic installation modality, trying to create an EFI partition.

In many cases installation fails especially with disks using MBR(msdos) partition table.

Just think about users that manually select a partition for installation. Installer doesnā€™t find EFI partition => installation fails.
Or users that select the automatic installation modality ā€œInstall next to other systemā€¦ā€ and there isnā€™t any available primary partition for EFI => installation fails.

Those situations are quite common, just think about old computers with an existing Windows installation on a disk with MBR, where 3 primary partition are already taken.
Thatā€™s a bad situation and also workarounds may not be user friendly.

Thanks!

That is a bug, which is understood and recognized, but unrelated to the topic of this discourse post.

I can explain.

This is actually my bug report: 1902269
Iā€™ve been asked in this discussion to file it and here it looked like it could be related to the topic.
I didnā€™t post that link because the bug is marked as duplicated of this other 1901137ā€¦ ā€œgrub-install fails due to no space left on ESPā€.
But ā€˜no space left on ESPā€™ is not the problem Iā€™m talking about. What Iā€™m talking about is that there should NOT be any ESP at all on a old bios system.
If there is an ESP partition, then you make Ubuntu incompatible in many use cases with non-uefi systems.

Thatā€™s why I have posted that link to a still open bug, which basically describes the same thing that I and other users have experienced.
(I havenā€™t see anyone having no problems in those use cases).

Is that off topic? Maybe.
Iā€™m sorry and apologize for that.

I didnā€™t want to post here. I tried to find a way to rise the problem so that some of the staff could at least mention this (big) problem on the 21.04 release notes.

If there had been a way to do it directly I would have done it, giving all the possible information. Iā€™ve spent hours and hours testing all the use cases and writing down a wiki page (on ubuntu-it wiki) with every combination to make life easier especially to newcomers. So they can easily see if their case is one of the possible case that leads to an unbootable computer.

And thanks godness this is not happened with an LTS version. It could have been a carnageā€¦

Yes.

If there is a FAT-formatted partition or not is totally irrelevant.

That is not true.

Nevertheless, it makes sense to mention it as an ā€œKnown Issueā€ in the release notes, that the installer Ubiquity always expects an ESP.

@apt-ghetto
Yes, what I wrote is inaccurate/wrong. Perhaps because of my frustration and poor English combined :wink:
Sorry.

What I intended was:

• ESP partition shoudnā€™t be required at all with old bios system
  • if the installer expects an ESP partition, Ubuntu will not be fully compatible with non-uefi systems.
    (Only installing erasing the whole disk always succeeds)

P.S. I stop here with off-topic