GNOME Shell Performance Improvements in Ubuntu 20.04

I only just noticed you can force an Intel GPU to maximum frequency easily:

sudo cp /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_max_freq_mhz /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_min_freq_mhz

Seems to help quite a bit. Just beware of the increased power usage.

And once again, if you still experience problems then please don’t report them here. Instead log a bug by running:

ubuntu-bug gnome-shell
1 Like

TBH for the time being I prefer to just turn off animations. But I was wondering if there is any chance for !1383 to be included in 3.38, given that gnome already is at some freezing stage. Or maybe you plan to patch mutter downstream, specially considering that for now it’s an X11 only solution. Moreover, is there any reasonably simple way to build mutter with !1383 at this point, Daniel? Just to check if it’s indeed an improvement in my case, since for the last three major releases I was hoping for this or that optimization to finally fix it but it becomes clear now that it’s better to check that beforehand, which AFAICS is not an easy thing to do when it comes to shell/mutter.

While !1383 is certainly patchable, I am working on a new design to satisfy upstream and replace it.

In the meantime I recommend using this command to just force your Intel GPU to maximum performance mode:

sudo cp /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_max_freq_mhz /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_min_freq_mhz

If that command doesn’t work for you then the other work is pointless and please discuss your findings in your individual bugs, not here.

Still waiting Gnome-shell/mutter 3.36.5

:wave: hi there, I recently needed to connect my x1 to a 4k screen and then also noticed heavy, huge lags in gnome shell which I never really had using only my internal 1920x1080 screen. Does this driver overload only affect gnome shell or does it also affect other programs? Thanks in advance and thanks for working on all these performance improvements

If you put it in /etc/environment then it affects all programs. Though I wouldn’t do that anymore because a better workaround is to just force the Intel GPU to maximum frequency via this kernel tweak:

cd /sys/class/drm/card0
sudo cp gt_max_freq_mhz gt_min_freq_mhz

which works well with the newer default driver.

1 Like