Future of Chromium in Ubuntu with Google blocking sync

I think chromium was always kind of a wacky solution, because you still needed a second browser for DRM stuff like netflix etc

I know this is in no way a solution to this problem, but this is my advice for people that want to avoid the google data kraken:

Use firefox as your browser on the phone and on the desktop with firefox sync enabled with facebook container and ublock etc. It has become a pretty solid and fast browser again with the new engine

For progressive web apps (spotify, twitter, office, etc) use google chrome. So the only data chrome receives is of those apps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In the near future, Gnome-Web (Epiphany) should be a consideration. They’re working on web extensions for the 40 release. That was about the only showstopper for moi, from using that browser.

3 Likes

Epiphany is great, I love how it is in sync with my FIrefox profile.

2 Likes

Chromium was automagically installing widevine from 6 months at least so it was a king a good solution , mais we need to get away from google power anyway

There are a few scripts that can download the Widevine CDM and install it in a place Chromium can find it. However, the README file accompanying the CDM makes it clear that downloading it does not grant a license to integrate it into arbitrary software.

So while those solutions might be okay for third party scripts or howto websites, they can’t realistically be part of Ubuntu proper without an explicit license from Google.

3 Likes

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/01/how-to-install-edge-on-ubuntu-linux
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/?platform=linux-deb
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/Microsoft-Edge-Extensions-Home

Would Edge solve any problems?

Microsoft Edge is not compatible with Ubuntu’s licensing policy. While it builds on top of an Open Source code base, it is not itself Open Source. It’s essentially the same problem that blocks Google Chrome from being included.

3 Likes

At this point users just need to install Google Chrome (if they want the same browser/experience as Chromium with Google Sync) or just start using Firefox that comes installed. It supports Sync and works very well. Or even using GNOME Web (Epiphany) which also support Firefox Sync.

2 Likes

Hey, guys. Is any update on the subject?

You’d have to ask Google if they ever plan to reconsider the blocking of all browsers not built by themselves (i highly doubt they would though)

I used Chromium before I added the official repo for Brave, and am so glad that I did. The Chromium browser never worked quite right for me – webpages and passwords etc – and I had to use Firefox for a while before I found the Brave repo (on their website).

Side topic, is there any work on a Google Chrome (community supported) snap? I know there is already a really good ‘unofficial’ Flatpak, but I prefer to have one or the other, not both Snapcraft and Flatpak.

1 Like

Yeah, MS likes to be like that lol. I just didn’t know Google was the same way. That explains why we have to add MS fonts manually rather than having them included. It’s not that we can’t get Edge or Google Chrome’s official packages, it’s that we have to add them by hand.

" Get Chrome for Linux

Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE.

Please select your download package:

64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)

64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)

Not Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora/openSUSE? There may be a community-supported version for your distribution. See Linux Chromium packages

Note: Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Google Chrome up to date. If you don’t want Google’s repository, do “sudo touch /etc/default/google-chrome” before installing the package.

By downloading Chrome, you agree to the Google Terms of Service and Chrome and ChromeOS Additional Terms of Service"