The previous status is here: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/foundations-team-updates-thursday-20-april-2023
- Mostly finished a decent APT snapshots implementation, including test cases and most docs. Gathering some feedback
- Pondered a bit more about apt landlock, bluca suggested we landlock apt/dpkg such that /home is not accessible to maintainer scripts.
- checked out some user advise on nvidia drivers on reddit, forwarded some unexpected things to mattermost
- planning for crypto configuration
- high-level demo/example for crypto configuration
- preparing and planning for next week’s meetings around crypto configuration and security in general
- some work around the updated packaging for GHC (using Hadrian)
subiquity / curtin
- fixed logical swap partitions (or logical bootable partitions) causing failed installs.
- Opened PR 1671 to prevent curtin from trying to set the install media as the first UEFI boot entry. In most cases, this is not a behavior we want for the installer. Also, some UEFI implementations set a BootCurrent entry that has no associated Boot#### entry when booting from a removable media. This causes an error in curtin.
- Investigating failed installs when overwriting disks that used to be ZFS members. Currently reading about ZFS since I have no experience with it.
- Opened MP 441894 in curtin to retry wiping a disk if open(O_EXCL) fails with EBUSY.
- Investigated inability to use a swap partition in DOS partition tables.
- Adapted code in PR 1670 to run probert in an asyncio event loop (merged)
- Opened follow on PR 1668 to enable parallism in probert.
- Investigated failed probing when a GPT partition name contains accents or other special characters. Turns out that the PARTNAME udev field is a string naively converted (by the kernel presumably) from UTF-16 to ASCII by dropping the LSB. This causes a crash in pyudev when trying to interpret the field as a UTF-8 string.
- opened a bug report in pyudev upstream: https://github.com/pyudev/pyudev/issues/490
- opened PR 136 in probert to work around the issue
- Merged PR 135 enabling use of asyncio in probert storage (with optional parallelism)
- Replaced third-party test suites by standard library ones in PR 134 (merged)
- MAAS Open vSwitch debugging (missing kernel modules to blame)
- MIR: dbus-broker, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus-broker/+bug/2015538
- cmake LTO FTBFS:
- spec review work & updates (netplan diff, netplan bindings)
- review error handling PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/334
- merge systemd-escape PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/347
- merge bridge params docs PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/346
- closed GLib-2.0 compat PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/293
- merge VRF routing policy crash PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/341
- merge NULL file error handling PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/342
- merge networkd memory leak (fuzzing) PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/344
- merge GDataList memory leak PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/348
- merge NM write_routes duplicated error PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/345
- merge nm-devices default renderer PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/349
- review NetplanBackendSettings PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/350
- merge YAML error context PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/343
- merge netplan_parser_load_keyfile API PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/351
- merge wireguard mem-leak + err msg PR, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/352
- optional-addresses spreadsheet & thinking, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/339
- Lunar upgrade (and some pipewire fun)
- take-home-test reviews
- sprint & travel prep
- python-tz: Triaged Ubuntu bug #1995452 (Result: Europe/Dublin observes a negative DST in winter)
- Triaged and closed bugs. That reduces the list from around 25-30 down to 3 (excluding bugs in state Incomplete).
- Triaged new report Ubuntu bug #2017743
- Prepared SRUs for fixing inconsistencies in debconf selections (LP: #772024)
- Wrote How to change the time zone in Ubuntu using the command line to document the best approaches
- distro-info and python-debian: Prepared SRU for PEP440 fix for bionic, focal, jammy for https://launchpad.net/bugs/1991606
- fix: Correct range of system users/groups from 499 to dynamic 999
- fix(tests): Fix check for full name in test_run_crash_anonymity
- fix(tests): Fix type hint for _write_crashdb_config_hook
- refactor: Increase pylint’s maximum public methods to 25
- fix(tests): Fix false positives for test_run_crash_anonymity
- fix: Fix raising OSError if _command_output() runs into a timeout
- fix(tests): Correct type of local_path in get_data_directory to str
- fix: Use ProblemReport for running generic hook manually
- refactor(apport-cli): Move saving the report into a separate function
- Filed Wrong type for hdrs in urllib.error.HTTPError against upstream typeshed project
- refactor(gtk/kde): Add assertions to make mypy happy
- Working on mokutil backport for focal and jammy (LP: #2015664)
- Adding an autopkgtest for systemd socket activated ssh to go with SRU (LP: #2011458)
- Looking at bug reports for ubuntu-release-upgrader and systemd