Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 24 November 2022

Previous status can be found here: Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 17 November 2022

1 Like

Distro

• merge party organization & paperwork
  • merges netplan.io (partial), liburi-perl, e2fsprogs, shadow
  • sponsoring socat sync for @danilogondolfo
  • MIR: more openjdk-17-doc investigation

Netplan

Misc

2 Likes

flash-kernel

• Add Microchip PolarFire Icicle Kit and LicheeRV Dock in Jammy

u-boot, u-boot-nezha, opensbi, hart-software-services

• Test SRUed packages in Jammy

Misc

• Review take-home tests
  • Prepare for RISC-V summit
2 Likes

I’d been on vacation for a couple of weeks 'til Tuesday, so my week has been short:

• Rust toolchain work (rustc 1.62 uploaded to lunar, 1.63 WIP, cargo 0.63 WIP)
  • Take-home tests review
  • “Idiomatic Rust” consulting for the Desktop team
2 Likes
2 Likes

subiquity

• more specwork to reduce number of crashes caused by APT errors
  • continuing the POC with mirror testing
  • reworked implementation of SSH keys import
    • keys are now imported by the server process ; client consumes an API to get the signatures
    • queries to fetch keys from launchpad / github now properly honor proxy settings
    • PR 1490 [merged]
  • opened PR 1489 [merged] to include more context when a subprocess exits abnormally.
  • investigated broken CI on lunar. Turned out to be a regression in cloud-init. Opened LP: #1997559 which is being addressed by the server team.
  • opened LP: #1997538 (standard server installs are crashing early on devel branch) and working on a fix for it.

distro

• uploaded debdiff to merge debian-goodies.
  • opened MP 433282 to address crash of oem-config-kde.
2 Likes

Distro

• Tested and synced socat from Debian

Netplan

• Plugged few memory leaks PR#297
  • Created a clean PR for the API work PR#298
2 Likes

shim

merges

• merged xfsprogs
  • merged intel-microcode

grub

misc desktop stuff breaking my workflow

• tried figuring out why firefox --class was not working; answer: gnome groups based on the snap, no way to have “sub applications” or whatever; should open discussion on snapcraft how to handle this (and PWAs in Chrome)
  • chrome most of the time fails to do the startup notification, resulting in it not being available in alt+tab (or accessible by shortcut; if I’m on another virtual desktop and press Win+1 it should open and switch to Chrome); so filed chrome bug #1393062 and provided some more reproducers. Turns out this only happens with my specific profile and it works fine in another profile, very odd.

days off

I am off the next two days, back on Tuesday.

2 Likes

Distro

• Research packages that are using dhclient (which is end-of-life)
  • usrmerge: Merge from Debian, upload 33ubuntu1
  • apport:

Apport

2 Likes
  • Investigating disk encryption for Pi desktop images (partition/fs growth first)
  • Finished testing of Pi firmware update; now awaiting migration before SRU (LP: #1989713)
  • Reviewed and sponsored u-boot related updates for @xypron (LP: #1996285, LP: #1995848, LP: #1997035)
  • Prepped u-boot merge (but awaiting queue shrinkage before upload)
  • Re-checked initramfs-tools merge (LP: #1988418); ready for review
  • Working on sbuild merge
2 Likes
  • investigated an openssl issue but we probably won’t fix it for jammy or kinetic (no high-enough motive) (bug #1994165)
  • spent time on +1 maintenance but didn’t fix much due to the size of the queue and how tangled everything is (some central packages can’t migrate because all of their tests haven’t passed and therefore everything that depend on these new package cannot migrate either; plus several spurious fails due to timeouts or connection errors)
  • started a couple short CSS/JS changes for the autopkgtest report in order to make them lighter for browsers; waiting for queues to shorten in order to also see how the reports look like when the queues are “normal”
  • upgrading strace to 5.19 in order to match the 5.19 kernel
  • started review with Steve for crypto spec, will push that to a wider audience next monday (bug #1990964)
2 Likes

First week in the team.

Learning internal procedures and going through the tutorials

1 Like