The previous status is here: Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 30 March 2023
Two (short) weeks of work.
- MIR: mosh ACK, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mosh/+bug/1997106
- MIR prioritization (pushing inetutils-telnet)
- fix NetworkManager 1.42 autopkgtests, https://code.launchpad.net/~slyon/network-manager/+git/network-manager/+merge/439829
- systemd Focal review, https://code.launchpad.net/~enr0n/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+git/systemd/+merge/439761
- learned a thing or two about seed management and germinate (regarding non-telnet seed exclude inetutils-*)
- Netplan Everywhere
- PPA fixes, https://code.launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+recipe/network-manager-netplan-lunar-gu
- settings migration, https://code.launchpad.net/~slyon/network-manager/+git/network-manager/+merge/440401
- fix UbuntuCore/snapd crash, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/336
- investigated WireGuard and Cisco/IPSec issues
- duplicated connections, https://bugs.launchpad.net/netplan/+bug/1998207
- merge diataxis docs work, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/337
- merge spread tests, https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/330 (cc @mvo)
- 0.106 CPC testing discussions
- Netplan diff spec review (cc @danilogondolfo)
- take-home-test reviews
- candidate interviews
- Roadmap grooming
- Most test passed fine on RISC-V
- A subiquity issue leads to missing log on HDMI output when installing on Unmatched board 2015238
- USB keyboard plugged into Nezha D1 before power up does not work 2013743
- Updated livecd-rootfs to build StarFive VisioFive 2 preinstalled images
- Created test case and web page
- Currently investigating a crash on riscv64
- Technical deep dive interview
- Reviewed multiple take home tests
- FTBFS reports for second Lunar Lobster test rebuild
- Sponsored syncs of golang-1.19 and golang-1.20 for @zhsj
- Uploaded dict-zu to help with python2.7 removal
- Uploaded python-cython-blis and thrift finishing the python3.11-only transition
- Reviewing and processing upload of seeded packages in the Lunar ‘Unapproved’ queue
- tzdata: Multiple iterations for the 2023c SRUs (LP: #2012599)
- sbuild: Sponsored 0.85.0ubuntu2 upload for @waveform (LP: #2003201)
- python-tz: Verified SRUs for bug #207604
- ubuntu-dev-tools: Reviewed and merge fix for backportpackage incorrectly errors with “Unknown distribution Ubuntu, can’t guess target release” (LP: #2013237)
- apport: Reviewed https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu/+source/apport/+git/apport/+merge/440270
- devscripts: Release 2.23.4 to unstable and 2.23.4ubuntu1 to lunar
- dotnet roadmap planning for 23.10 MM (and fighting JIRA) with @mateus-morais
- learning more about dotnet6 and dotnet7 build system
LP #2008789: [MIR] inteutils-telnet
- could finally set it to “Fix Released” \o/
(There are some caveats. Read #18-#20 for more.)
- Trying to unblock SRUs that are stuck on unrelated autopkgtest failures
- Investigated LP 2015126 “systemd doesn’t successfully enforce RuntimeMaxSec for gnome session”
- I believe I have a fix for this, but I am waiting for Steve to confirm. I opened https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/27144 in any case, because that is still a bug even if it’s not the exact same as LP 2015126.
- More roadmap planning
- Fixed LP 2015087 "“Upgrading Ubuntu to version
<version>" label shows incorrect version”
- Opened PR for deb822 changes in software-properties: https://code.launchpad.net/~enr0n/software-properties/+git/software-properties/+merge/440177
subiquity / curtin
- waiting for feedback on (LP: 2012126) since I never managed to reproduce the issue.
- fixed failed installs when storage device have a WWN with vendor extensions. LP: #2015100
- fixed crash when selecting a keyboard layout without latin characters LP: #2015028
- wrote a script to profile probert runs. https://code.launchpad.net/~ogayot/+git/profile-probert-desktop-installer Shared it with users that have had timeout issues in subiquity and started gathering some data.
- investigating issue in desktop netboot installs - where both cloud-init and subiquity attempt to manage the network
- investigated failed install caused by a syntax error in grub.cfg. Turns out to be an issue in the os-prober + grub2 integration.
- code reviews
- Go micro releases
- Update golang 1.20.3 to Debian unstable, Ubuntu lunar, snap store
- Update golang 1.19.8 to Debian experimental, Ubuntu lunar, snap store
- Update golang 1.20.3 with FIPS patches to PPA, snap store
- Update golang 1.19.8 with FIPS patches to snap store
- Update docker snap to 20.10.24
- Investigating CI failures after bumping testbed to ubuntu-22.04 for docker snap.
- PR: 1628 - one more environment fix for running netplan
- PR: 1633 - address LP: #2012921 + many duplicates, for autoinstall and Desktop. Allows one to use LVM+LUKS and have the rootfs expand to use the remaining VG space. Current scaled free space behavior is unmodified for Server, and for autoinstall if the new keyword is omitted.
- PR: 1634 - restructure how info about bootable disks is provided, in hopes of addressing some crashes when attempting to mark a disk that is full as bootable. May need further iteration with Desktop.
- PR: 1636 - Address an issue where the ESP was inappropriately reformatted because we had failed to collect filesystem information. Getting filesystem types is now considered bare-minimum information to proceed to the storage screen.
- PR: 1629, PR: 1635, PR: 1638 - Merges to the ubuntu/lunar stable branch
- WIP: localectl the live session on locale POST, more probert diagnostics
- MP: 440075 - cleanup git history to match what’s in the archive
- travel prep
- Currently on +1 maintenance this week
- Investigating several FTBFS packages
- Experiments with enabling the LLVM backend for GHC on s390x (not working so far)
- Lots of roadmap planning for crypto-configuration
- De-duplication of files in linux-firmware (in progress)
sbuildmigrated (finally!) (LP: #2003201)
- More ubuntu-image produced image testing (see LP: #2004430 and LP: #2013080)
- Writing of lunar blog posts
- Pi meetings
- Went through a year’s worth of patches to glibc’s 2.35 stable branch (100+ patchsets) for potential inclusion in a Jammy SRU
- Patched an issue with valgrind complaining about the SSE2
strncmpimplementation in glibc reading outside its buffer. Turns out that’s both right and wrong, so the fix was to silence the warning. LP: #2015216
- Investigated an issue in
alotwhen dealing with some plain text email using latin1 encoding, upstream PR pending.
- Sponsored a vim security upload in Lunar
- Code review:
- Netplan PR 334
- A couple of apport PRs
- take-home tests grading, meet&greet interviews
- Finished @paride’s investigation into networking issues in scalingstack-bos01 which resulted in me opening an RT regarding the routing issues.
- Resolved an issue reported by @seb128 with the Error Tracker showing crashes from 23.04 under the derivatives column.
- Reviewed, merged, sponsored ubuntu-release-upgrader changes from @enr0n fixing an incorrect version label.
- Investigation into the state of command-not-found indexes for Kinetic and Lunar.
- Reported a bug regarding tab order in the new desktop intaller.
- Testing of a bug regarding broadcom wireless drivers not being installed by the new desktop installer.
- Reviewed an MP from @paride which checks /var/crash for emptiness after upgrading.
- Updated the Kinetic Release Notes with information about the command-not-found index not being accurate at release time.
- Sent an email to ubuntu-devel and ubuntu-users about the above.
- Added force-badtest hints to britney for Focal for multiple linux-* packages which are in never_run of autopkgtest-package-hints.
- Created an MM Release Schedule per developer request.
- Mentoring @andersson123
- Work on apt snapshots, also enabling a -U, --update option for
apt dist-upgradeand friends to automatically run apt update before installing packages.
- Sponsored dpkg/jammy SRU for https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/1960582
- Wrote SBAT Revocations: Boot Process document to explain how SBAT revocations work in the boot process
- Catching up with the March emails
- Analysis of how shim hashes files is interesting
- Trying to get Chrome to stop freezing
- roadmap planning for 23.10 MM with @dviererbe
- learning more about the dotnet build and package process with 7.0.104 source pkg
- Supported @seb128 work on adding support for the new desktop installer to UTAH and automation
- Review branches against UTAH, lp:qa-jenkins-jobs
- Adjusted the Jenkins job definitions where needed
- Same for Jenkins job definitions
Auto upgrade testing
- Upgrade testing: investigated failing Kinetic → Lunar
- Added test to verify the absence of crash files under
/var/crashafter the upgrade
- Better signaled on Launchpad that the project’s git repository moved to GitHub
- On failing autopkgtests for the autopkgtest package:
- Worked with @andersson123 at figuring out the cause for the failure of the
- Worked with @andersson123 at figuring out the cause for the failure of the
- Looking for a workaround to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/breezy/+bug/2008103 I rebuild an older breezy version on my Lunar system
- The bug eventually got fixed upstream. I cherry-picked the fix and uploded to Lunar.
- Reviewed and merged MP fixing test failure due to expired GPG key
- Noticed that CI fails for unrelated reasons, fixed in separate MP
- Added timeouts and timestamps to helper Jenkins jobs (thanks @chad.smith)
- Uploaded bugfix revisions to Debian fixing bugs also affecting Ubuntu
- Uploaded to experimental and then to unstable after getting positive user feedback
- Bug work entirely done by @ahasenack
- Reviewed MP adding support for more multipass metrics
- Candidates essay and technical exercises reviews
Was nice to meet you all (?) in our meeting the other day.
My (not so many) tasks this week
- Fixing autopkgtest for autopkgtest
- Planning a few more introductory tasks for the next couple of weeks with @bdmurray & @paride
- HR and general company induction content
A short week due to public holidays:
- added merge proposals for jtreg7, jtreg6 to integrate testng7 and asmtools .
- added merge proposals to get jtreg tier1 and tier2 tests passing for openjdk 20, openjdk 17, openjdk 11