Feature Freeze Exception: Seeding the official Firefox snap in Ubuntu Desktop

Thanks @edurojas! We take the startup time problem very seriously, and we have launched a cross-team effort to try and improve the situation, so expect news and results in the near future. Stay tuned…

5 Likes

Thanks @oSoMoN that’s great! I guess when the time is right the team will announce if they need help with the tests, I will be able to help in whatever way I can.

1 Like

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Fix the Firefox load times so new/inexperienced users don’t conclude Linux is slower than Windows. Snaps should not be forced deployed unless the load performance hit is only a small fraction.

I already had customer testers install 22.04 and just state the browser is hideously slow to load. They cancelled all 22.04 upgrades. Once Ubuntu 22.04 switches to Firefox snaps then they will be switching to Debian 11.X. The POC migration to Debian 11 has already started for that customer base.

These type of first impression experiences are really sad and devastating for the Ubuntu and even Linux Community as a whole.

3 Likes

@oSoMoN

Removal of the temp folder from download is working great.

Thanks

Maybe somewhat off-topic but note that LibreOffice snap is very slow (I do use NVMe…).
The big difference with FF is that the start-up times are noticeable even > 1 launches.

Ubuntu Desktop Team Indaba - May 27, 2022 on Ubuntu OnAir
Ubuntu Desktop Team Indaba
Testing is in progress for Firefox Snap.
Testers are requested to help out.

It says it’s fixed, but I’m still experiencing the issue

$ kreadconfig5 --file kdeglobals --group General --key BrowserApplication
firefox.desktop
$ xdg-settings check default-web-browser firefox.desktop
/usr/bin/xdg-settings: 734: [: x!: unexpected operator
no

this requires extra steps… The resource is already on the computer why don’t simply access it?

Still doesn’t work if I use firefox_firefox.desktop. I still get asked.

$ kreadconfig5 --file kdeglobals --group General --key BrowserApplication
firefox_firefox.desktop
$ xdg-settings check default-web-browser firefox_firefox.desktop
/usr/bin/xdg-settings: 734: [: x!: unexpected operator
yes

Firefox snap broken in Guest Account on Xubuntu 22.04 (Jammy)

My laptop is sometimes used by visitors. They want to browse the internet. So I setup the guest-account. I found out that the Firefox snap is broken on guest-accounts.

When opening Firefox nothing happens. When starting FF from the command line of the guest-account I found out the following:

$ firefox
2022/07/12 00:46:01.906615 tool_linux.go:82: cannot open snapd info file “/snap/snapd/current/usr/lib/snapd/info”: open /snap/snapd/current/usr/lib/snapd/info: permission denied

Did anybody solve this problem? How can it be resolved now that the .deb packages are abandoned?

(running: Xubuntu 22.04)

Ok maybe so, but the damage is done. They also set up a POC to move their entire server farm to Debian stating Ubuntu performance is just not acceptable and we don’t want to risk these type of performance issues on servers. They won’t even consider any snap on their installs moving forward.

3 Likes