Feature Freeze Exception: Seeding the official Firefox snap in Ubuntu Desktop

Yes that’s a big issue atm.
This one has appeared then was solved after I reported in Bugzilla (maybe in v96) but appeared again.

Bookmarks menus are globally buggy, e.g. contextual menu is displayed outside of the display:
(here at the bottom of my screen)

These bugs are by far not hidden.

1 Like

Is there a way to install Firefox snap from both stable and beta channels?

I currently have the beta one installed as a snap, and it crashes very frequently, even with snap set core experimental.refresh-app-awareness=true.

Also, any plans on adding touch features on the snap?

sure … snaps allow as many parallel installs as you like:

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/parallel-installs/7679

5 Likes

Maybe a very annoying bug will be solved?

(see last message)

That’s medium-categorized. I’m by far not an expert but this one (or rather the whole background-update issue, maybe?) is a damn critical bug since your TB or FF will crash during your work.
Just today I lend a recently jammy-upgraded laptop to a colleague because he needed to use FF. Gmail and so on and… “hey Francois, it crashed”. Well, that’s no good for Ubuntu or Linux image… :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be positive, the solution I do use is:

• install the incredible Snap Manager Lite extension : https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4889/snap-manager-lite or old Snap Manager extension (with arrow on the icon… and available update notifications, that I did remove from Lite version)
  • Menu Refresh options > Hold auto refresh for one month
  • Then do the updates by yourself, either using the extension or Snap Store or GNOME Software

No more crashes…

I’ve been a fan of Snaps, however the FireFox snap has been crashing on me 5+ times a week since I’ve installed it with 21.10 in October. It has also completely broken 4 times where even a purge uninstall then reinstall wouldn’t fix it. It would not connect to the internet at all and would fill up 10GB of space on my disk.

1 Like

have you enabled the refresh-app-awareness option (which is the default in 22.04) from above to prevent apps being updated while they are running ?

1 Like

Same for me, and I do have it enabled.

1 Like

No not manually, I had thought this was default behavior already.
Regardless it looks like it doesn’t work correctly yet according the the bug linked above.

1 Like

As a side question, why does FF snap in Jammy have two icons? One seems to be for the actual snap package, the other for some deb remainder. To remove both you would have to apt remove FF && snap remove FF.

2 Likes

sounds like a bug … the deb is needed for upgrading from former versions but it should really just install the snap, seems there is still a .desktop file in it …

1 Like

Thanks for feedback. Should I file a report? Even removing FF completely and reinstalling snap only still creates two entries.

1 Like

yes, you should, but i dont exactly know if ubuntu-bug firefox will work for this to file it against the deb on launchpad, @oSoMoN should be able to tell us

1 Like

Good catch! This is indeed a bug, which I just fixed.
The desktop file in the deb is intended for compatibility with existing installations where it might be favourited in the dock. But it shouldn’t be visible in the activities, indeed.

1 Like

Wow that was quick. My OCD says thank you.

2 Likes

Any plans on fixing the issue where when Firefox crashes, the theme doesn’t restore, unless the app is restarted manually?

Also experienced Firefox and Thunderbird snaps “fritzing” when open for too long. Didn’t think of recording the experience.

I wonder if this issue is related?; it was noted in Lubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE originally (it’s no longer impacted) & Ubuntu Desktop using the canary ISO. You may have fixed it at the same time?? or at least you maybe able to tell me the likely package the bug should be filed on.

1 Like

This is being tracked in upstream bug #1740547.

1 Like

That’s probably a slightly different issue, where indeed the deb and the snap (both providing the browser) where installed at the same time. With the deb now a transitional package that installs the snap, this shouldn’t happen any longer.

2 Likes

@oSoMoN

Hi, has this been forgotten about as it’s been 6 months and it still there?

Thanks

2 Likes