Evolution again as default email app/client

Not necessarily. The app has access to the DOM (and therefore contents) and your auth tokens and from there the sky is the limit.

@fthx Thank you very much for tips!
Unfortunately mail.biff.use_system_alert does somehow not work for me, hopefully for others. I get a temporary notification pop-up but no new mail badge on the Thunderbird icon on the Dock.
The New Mail Indicator GNOME extension is handy. As Evolution is my default email client, it won’t turn on when there is an email in TB which I use at the same time.

I mentioned this issue as TB is the main email client for Ubuntu but there is still no new email counter/badge on the on the Thunderbird icon on the Dock. But there is now one for Evolution, see this AskUbuntu answer.

Ok maybe I can simply change the way this extension work. At the moment, it detects the default email client but I can easily, if you’re interested (please ask in project’s GitHub), make two separate extensions, one for TB, one for Evo, with optional text labels to make the indicators distinguishable.

But the main issue is that the TB GNOME notifications are not very reliable: sometimes missing, not all displayed, etc. The legacy TB notifications are more reliable, but clearly look outdated.

1 Like

Sylpheed could be another option if looking for lightweight software (which is rare these days)

@fito Thank you for sharing about Sylpheed. It looks interesting for a lightweight software.
In my situation I need a fully fledged and comprehensive email client and that is why I promote Evolution.

2 Likes

Another sign that Evolution is still a good choice. Nour made the effort to write up A Full guide for EteSync module in Gnome Evolution app.

Recently I found a bug in Evolution, I shared it on the Evolution list and within a day the bug was fixed and a workaround was provided.

4 Likes

I’ve always loved Evolution. It combines email and calendar by default (I’ve heard that Thunderbird is now shipped with a calendar as well, but only recently), it integrates excellently with GNOME Shell.

If I could replace Evolution with Geary and Calendar, using multiple accounts …, only then would I find it good enough to beat Evolution.

2 Likes

I prefer its, (Evolution) calendar module over the separate gnome-calendar app to this day.

3 Likes

thunderbird ranks at #10 in the top 10 global email client market share according to research & analysis done by various organizations & web sites.

unfortunately evolu-shun does not even get a mention, sad but true.

I wonder if those figure(s) you mention, factor in Ubuntu/Evolution use in enterprise markets. I have my doubts as most enterprise will be using ‘Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services)’ and/or Exchange mail server on their own iron.
It’s doubtful that Thunderbird is in the enterprise in any significant numbers, in my opinion.

P.S. Do you have a reference to these Various Organizations and Websites data in this regard. It would be interesting to take a look.

3 Likes

Well quite frankly you’re the one that said some data was available being vague about it — So the onus is on you to back your words up — Not for the one asking for your evidence.
But that said — whatever floats yer boat.

1 Like

Unfortunately open source email clients are rare and rarely used. Even Thunderbird gets only 0.5-1% according to the links which popup on a DuckDuckGo-Search with your search text. Evolution may have 0.49% :wink:. Evolution mainly works on Linux and Thunderbird is probably the only long standing open source email client for Windows and Mac. Another reason why Thunderbird has maybe a bigger market share. And the reason mentioned by stephen-d-allen can also contribute.

But market share is not the real reason for me to not promote Evolution as main default email app & client in Ubuntu again but rather Evolution’s functionality and integration with Linux convinces me. That is why I have used Evolution for more than 10 years and have not switched my main emailing to Thunderbird although I also use Thunderbird as a secondary email client. And I still vote to make Evolution the main default email app/client again.

2 Likes

Just noticed this today: ETE extension for Evolution.

2 Likes

Actually the data was compiled by Fingerprint, and the link to it is dead so the methodology can’t be checked. However, please note the following:

" NOTE:
Email clients are recorded when images are loaded within an email. Some email clients block external images, or are not capable of displaying HTML email. That includes non-current models of Blackberry, and other mobile devices unable to view HTML email. As a result these are not tracked and do not appear in the report.

Furthermore, the report only shows the top 10 email clients detected. In total there are over 3,000 different clients. Because of this diversity we recommend analyzing your own mailing lists to gain the most accurate information, since results can vary greatly depending on your lists’ demographics."

1 Like

Does Geary already support multiple accounts? Like EWS? Or Outlook?

Last time I used Geary, it constantly crashes. Especially with a medium+ amount of emails and multiple accounts (the accounts come from gnome online accounts)
Thunderbird is still the most stable foss email client out there. With 78 it also started to look decent again

1 Like

… but the Thunderbird snap still do have some issues with attachments handling. And Focal still does not offer 78.

Could you detail the issue you are seeing with attachments?

e.g. a DOC file

no available app (I’ve got the LibreOffice snap)

BUT just now I was exploring this issue and I finally could choose URL system handler and LO works now… Great!

Same issue out-of-the-box with JPEG:

I’m unable to set the required app when opening an attachment of an up-to-now unknown type. No success in Preferences too:

Finally, like using LO attachments, I succeeded, repeating the same click-on-attachment/open with (inside the message panel, not in TB preferences) and I magically got the app selector (including URL Handling Script). And now it works. Well, something’s clearly odd here. But thanks for kicking my … since I now can handle these very common attachment types!

So at the moment (78.3.1) the other annoying bug for me is that I cannot create a Google task (through gdata provider addon by P. Kewisch).

Oh, another tiny bug: TB snap does not show a symbolic icon in Gnome Shell.