Evolution again as default email app/client

Oh, another tiny bug: TB snap does not show a symbolic icon in Gnome Shell.

It’s not to read that things are working better, the new snapd did bring improvements that make portals integration work now so applications can be properly selected.

But indeed the default seems to not be always be working or right. Where do you see the context menu from your screenshots though?

Unsure about the gdata thing, is an external component? Do you know what’s the issue with it in the snap context?

gdata is an external addon since its Ubuntu repository package is transitional (void). The issue is not snap-related.

The context menu comes from the inside the TB preferences.

And another TB snap bug: cannot find my printers, just can print in a file.

[11907.670706] audit: type=1400 audit(1601629779.651:603): apparmor="DENIED" operation="connect" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/run/cups/cups.sock" pid=5230 comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="wr" denied_mask="wr" fsuid=1000 ouid=0

Please not that Firefox snap does not have this issue.

I did:
sudo connect thunderbird:cups-control
and the problem was gone. (I compared FF and TB connections to find that…)

1 Like

perhaps the snap packager should ask for an autoconnection of cups-control via:

Well, where am I supposed to post bugs reports for TB snap? In launchpad TB webpage?

Back to the thread, I tried (again) this last week Evolution (Focal, Ev 3.36). I used Evolution for a long time before trying TB for professional reasons (W10 inside). I really like the integration of Evolution in Gnome’s desktop and GOA. But:

• dev team is nearly to be a one-man-team
  • Evolution still returns annoying error messages (“cannot read calendare” and so on)
  • professional signature handling still does not offer a HTML source edition (need to go to Files and Ev config folder)
  • Ev does not offer tabs (I own 3 accounts, I can open a tab for a message of any account to remind me I have to answer or anything else to do with)
  • Ev calendar interface is much less legible than TB (ex-Lighting) one
  • Ev calendar still not offers configurable multiweek view
  • Ev handles incorrectly accounts folders subscriptions and names (bad names, eg. “Sent” instead of “Envoyés” in FR, double spam folders “Junk”+“Spam”, unsuccessful unsubscribing) and that’s a looooongstanding bug
  • Ev does not import through GOA all the Google calendars, just the main one (TB Gdata provider addon does propose the main one AND the other external calendars imported in Google Calendar settings)

TB is not perfect (but imho is the better choice):

• snap packaging have some glitches or bugs (attachments, printing, …) that I feel 90 % linked to snap confinment
  • TB does not offer out-of-the-box Google support (calendar & tasks edition, contacts)
  • full Google support is provided through external addons and still experiences bugs (tasks creation, still no contacts addon available because TB 68->78 upgrade)
  • TB snap is not officially authored by Canonical

Just MY feelings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reporting against the Ubuntu package on launchpad is alright

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+filebug

Ok, done.

1 Like

Thunderbird is a very good and working email client, but, even with personalization and skins, it looks so outdated… There are no significant updates/upgrades in the interface, and if just feels like it’s a very old application. Thunderbird is using the same GUI and organization layout since ever.
I’ve switched to MailSpring and Hiri clients as an alternative.

Currently software center is too hard to navigate for this, if it will be improved and look like more App store on MacOs it would allow users very quickly to install everything they want in terms of functionality.

Ok, but why is it related to Ubuntu’s default email client?

2 Likes

yup. I use more than 3 email providers but didn’t setup any with Thunderbird. Online webmail is enough in many case though. When setting up Ubuntu I purge Thunderbird always.

1 Like

Or you can do minimal install that won’t install Thunderbird at all.

1 Like

i need some extra packages though like the media codec, in minimal they don’t install automatically.

Oh you can add on the media package afterwards either through Ubuntu Software Center (I just shows my Ubuntu age lol) I mean Ubuntu Software by search for GStreamer Media codec or installing via the terminal ubuntu-restricted-extras.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this TB bug reports! I am happy this thread has triggered some action! Hopefully the bug reports will get the attention needed.

Sorry for the late reply, it has been an intense time (incl. COVID-19-infection).
I agree Evolution is not perfect and I am sorry that experience some issues. If you can, it would be great if you file some bug/issue reports on the [Evolution GitLab page](Issues · GNOME / evolution · GitLab — https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues).
You can also mention and discuss it on the Evolution mailing list.
I recently had two issues and got helpful answers on the mailing list and the bugs I reported were quickly attended and could even be fixed.

For me it is the other way around. I can see advantages and issues for Evolution and Thunderbird. But Evolution gives me a better overall package with less issues and more features I need than TB.
Just MY subjective feelings. :grinning:

2 Likes

I would add :innocent: that Evolution is not offered as a snap (just flatpak, but I don’t want to have many ‘containers’ managers) so is not really updated. Bugfix version 3.36.5 from august is not even updated in Ubuntu repository, which offers 3.36.4.

Positive fact: I use Evolution to manage calendars displayed in GNOME notification area. GNOME Calendar 3.36 did not satisfy my needs in terms of calendars management features and stability (I don’t know if the 3.38 series improved these parts).

PS: Do you know if there is a way to display all starred (or flagged in any other way) emails from different mailboxes in Evolution? It’s not trolling at all, just a real question!

Create a search folder for “Status” “is” “important” and apply the search in “All local and active remote folders”. This folder will then appear under “Search Folders” in the left hand pane. Make sure that “Search Folders” are enabled in Preferences.

There’s lots of conditions that can be applied in search folders and conditions can be combined.

2 Likes