Open Documentation Hour

Hi! Looking forward to attending the next meeting :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And I’m looking forward to the next one :slight_smile: Just found out about ODA through the video on IDEs (now that I’ve seemed to have outgrown my distro-hopping phase I’m into editor-hopping)

This may not be the best place for introductions, but… it’s definitely the liveliest thread

I’m happy to help with some quick edits (hi @dimple-kuriakose :slight_smile: ) now that I’m getting ready for holiday at the end of the month and then moving on from a 2 year stint in translating bootcamp courses (PL<->EN) into more direct authoring.

1 Like

Hi @krzysiekwie, welcome! It’s great to have you here and also your first contribution, which is already published! :slight_smile:

We’ll look forward to meeting you in the next office hours.

1 Like

Greetings from sunny Los Angeles!
I’m in the process of applying to Canonical for the position of Technical Author. I just submitted my written interview last night. I woke this morning still a little exhausted from that adventure. It’s been a long time since anyone has asked me about myself!!! I had started writing the interview over a year and a half ago, until I was interrupted. I haven’t had any contact with technology or technical people during that long hiatus. (Well, I have been in contact with many doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. I’ve become familiar with recent research in cancer treatments, neuroscience, and many physiological disciplines.)
I rediscovered the Canonical website, and found Discourse, and I found the Documentation Academy. I watched the recording of the first March 2024 “Documentation Office Hours”. I’m impressed by the development of the documentation project at Canonical. Just the fact that Canonical has given it public space and resources, and focus on the Diátaxis framework is brilliant. Thank you for this contribution!
I’m in the process of setting up my home computing infrastructure after a year-long relocation. I’m not sure if my temporary Raspberry Pi 4B (running Ubuntu 22.04.4) will suffice for attending the meeting. (When I had last used this for Zoom a few years ago, it was barely sufficient for receiving the audio-video.)
Lots of material to digest here in Discourse, and I’d like to get started doing something productive, but the agenda item, “Cost benefit of technical authors and why this may be dangerous,”

pinged my financial anxiety about the need to find a job, as I’m between jobs now. I’ll see how I can balance priorities and set up hardware before Friday. And also I want to watch more recordings, and gobble up all the information I can find about Canonical. Probably you’ve already answered some of my questions in previous episodes.
I don’t have any formal training on technical writing, and so last month, to prepare for the job interview, I signed up for a free 6-week online course, “Fundamentals of Technical Writing”. I have to finish this up, too. The Gale class is offered through the Los Angeles County Public Library,

https://education.gale.com/l-down54663/

There are only 6-7 students who have been corresponding in the course forum. I’d like to point them this way.
I bet you have a marketable educational product, and a nice way to recruit technical authors.
Hope to join you!
Cheers!

1 Like