Desktop Team Updates - Monday 24th May 2021

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 17th May 2021

• Flutter PR reviews.
  • Improved validation of dict and arrays types in dbus.dart.
  • Various smaller dbus.dart improvements.
  • Review IPv6 MR for gnome-control-center.
  • Landed various MRs for gnome-control-center.
  • Investigated mDNS/DNS-SD support in glib.
  • Started work on rebasing snap-store on gnome-software 40.
5 Likes
  • ADSys
    • Finished user documentation. It is available from the command line and online on the wiki.
    • Fixed keys for GDM in ADMX files to configure the background of the greeter.
    • Misc CI fixes.
    • Backported AD feature in the installer to focal, submitted the SRU bug, and uploaded ubiquity and livecd-rootfs.
    • Searched and found a workaround to an issue where1921862 livecd-rootfs doesn’t pull packages from -updates when they don’t already exist in the release pocket (LP: #1921374).
    • Backported ADSys, Go 1.16 and GDM (gnome-shell) to Focal, proceeded with the SRU paperwork LP:1929038 and LP:1929536.
4 Likes
6 Likes
  • ADSys
    • Finished user documentation . It is available from the command line and online on the wiki.
    • Fixed keys for GDM in ADMX files to configure the background of the greeter.
    • Misc CI fixes.
    • Backported AD feature in the installer to focal, submitted the SRU bug, and uploaded ubiquity and livecd-rootfs.
    • Searched and found a workaround to an issue where1921862 livecd-rootfs doesn’t pull packages from -updates when they don’t already exist in the release pocket (LP: #1921374).
    • Backported ADSys and Go 1.16 to Focal, proceeded with the SRU paperwork .
    • Add next refresh time on status command, using systemd dbus API. Mock it in integration tests.
4 Likes
  • ubuntu-wsl-integration
    • package submission started
  • ubuntu-wsl-oobe
    • package submission started
    • Development of Ubuntu WSL OOBE preseed started
  • wslu
    • SRU work started
3 Likes

I was AFK on holidays all of last week :palm_tree:

firefox24 firefox

• Preparing 89.0 release, due out next week

chromium22 chromium

• updating beta to 91.0.4472.77
  • updating dev to 92.0.4512.4
5 Likes
  • GNOME versions updates, eog, gnome-sudoku gnome-chess baobab gedit-plugins
  • Debian merges, udisks
  • updated libsoup2.4 for the php8 transition
  • verified some desktop SRU updates
  • dashboards
    • versions, fixed the grafana by changing the collector datatype to int
    • worked on replacing some hacks in versions by proper launchpadapi use
    • reported a launchpad query slowness in getting the build records for snaps
    • indicate verification-needed sru items on the versions pages
  • snaps
    • updated thunderbird stable to 78.10.2
  • sponsoring
    • reviewed ubuntu-wsl-integration for Patrick, got some reviews comment that need addressing before upload
    • synced the glade test fixes from Marco
  • other
    • submitted a livecd-rootfs fix for daily-preinstalled images builds failing, merged now
    • retried riscv builds that failed due to glade being not installable
    • one day off
5 Likes
  • CUPS Snap: Waiting for the completion of the cups printing interface by the snapd developers, esp. @ijohnson.
  • cups-filters: Completed first version of implementing automatic selection of the extended print quality features 16-bit-per-color (high color depth/dynamic range) and AdobeRGB (wide color gammut) via print-quality=high setting and document color space on driverless IPP printers. Created library functions in libcupsfilters for it and applied them to the ghostscript() filter function. Modified the PPD file generator for CUPS queues appropriately. Continued discussion of color space selection in discussion threads and posted the details of my commit (Threads on OpenPrinting and Ghostscript mailing lists).
  • Google Summer of Code 2021: Started introduction of the students to their projects.
  • Annual OpenPrinting Summit/PWG Meeting 2021: The summary got posted.
  • Linux Plumbers Conference 2021: Put together sessions for the OpenPrinting micro-conference application.
  • OpenPrinting: Monthly video meeting and May news post
  • Bugs.
5 Likes

snapd:

• snapd PR #9043 (refactor REST API authentication) was merged. This was a prerequisite for adding an access checker to allow access to the desktop theme installation API without plugging snapd-control.
  • I withdrew core 20 PR #103 (adding gdbus command to core20 base snap). It turned out busctl was already present on all the base snaps, and could correctly perform the method calls I needed: I just needed to update the AppArmor profile template to make it executable. I updated snapd PR #10219 accordingly, and now it has a spread test successfully demonstrating a snapped process performing polkit access checks against unprivileged processes.
  • I’ve been working on the AppArmor rules for a companion polkit-agent interface for use on Ubuntu Core. Still some more work to do there.

Github Actions:

• I did some maintenance to the snapcore/action-publish Github Action after a bug report claiming that it had broken. The CI had bitrotted a bit, due to the Snap Store login macaroon used by the integration test having expired (now updated), but in other respects the action appears to still be functioning the same. The underlying problem was the user running snapcraft under sudo in their workflow, creating some files the regular CI user couldn’t read: something that doesn’t happen when using the action together with snapcore/action-build.
5 Likes