Desktop Team Updates - Monday 1st August 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 25th July 2022

2 Likes
4 Likes
  • Recovering from jet lag from DebConf
  • Uploaded the GNOME 43 version of gnome-desktop to experimental and figured out the blockers for its library transition
  • Did some “enablement” uploads so that several packages can smoothly be rebuilt against the new gnome-desktop
  • Reuploaded text-engine to Debian’s NEW queue.
  • Uploaded gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect to the Debian NEW queue. Although this has been packaged for a long time in Ubuntu, it’s new to Debian.
  • Had the Debian GNOME team adopt hitori from the Debian Games team
  • Filed some bugs against the Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix metapackage which was recently uploaded to Ubuntu for the first time. And I volunteered to help mentor the maintainer with navigating Debian and Ubuntu processes
  • Verified the gnome-remote-desktop update, one of the last “desktop” updates that will be included in the Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS release. This point release is scheduled for next week.
  • Uploaded @SergioCostas 's improvements to GNOME Console distro integration to Ubuntu 22.10 (specifically, x-terminal-emulator and allowing new tabs to open in current working directory)

Other News

The GNOME Console app was ported to GTK4 upstream

5 Likes

WSL

Apport

3 Likes
3 Likes
  • Package the debug symbols of Gnome42 in a separate .zip file
  • Reviewed patch for adding libpoppler to Gnome42-SDK
  • Removed several unneeded files from Gnome42-SDK
  • Fixed python3/meson in Gnome42-SDK
  • Rebased the patch for using CSS colors in Gnome Console
  • Migrated Gnome Mahjongg, Gnome Hitori, Gnome Tetravex, Gnome Lightsoff, Gnome Nibbles, Gnome Robots and Gnome Sudoku to Core22/Gnome42
  • Added metainfo files to all the migrated programs
2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• uploaded 102.1.0+build2 to kinetic
  • built 91.12.0+build1 in ubuntu-mozilla-security PPA

chromium22 chromium

• following validation by Opera, promoted chromium-ffmpeg to stable and updated the wiki doc
  • 103.0.5060.134 made its way to bionic-updates
  • updated beta to 104.0.5112.65
  • updated dev to 105.0.5191.2

package24 other

• uploaded xdg-utils 1.1.3-4.1ubuntu3 to kinetic to update a distro patch
3 Likes

It was a short week due to GUADEC - I worked Thursday and Friday.

• Prepared for and hosted the July Indaba on Thunderbird - video is here in case you missed it
  • Added my pictures and comments to the GUADEC trip report that should be published soon.
4 Likes

Back from GUADEC 2022 in Mexico, so this update is for 3 weeks.

• cups-filters: Continued with restructuring towards the cups-filters 2.x release, continuing replacing direct PPD file access in the filter functions by converting PPD options and attributes to IPP printer attributes and control options in the ppdFilterLoadPPD() function (which calls ppdLoadAttributes()) in libppd. Converted also cfFilterBannerToPDF(), cfFilterTextToPDF, and cfFilterTextToText(), and while doing that fixed also several bugs in them. Now the only filter function remaining which I will fully convert is cfFilterUniversal(). cfFilterPCLmToRaster() is only needed for scanning, not for printing, therefore I will only remove any PPD file support from it but will not create a PPD support wrapper filter function in libppd. The cfFilter...ToPS() filter functions will get completely moved over into libppd as PostScript is as obsolete as PPD files and only there to support legacy printers (as I already told here some weeks ago.
  • OpenPrinting: The new pages to be linked from the “About Us” page, “How did this all begin?” and “Our principal achievements” are principally completed now, perhaps they receive some more links and little fixed. The third, page, “what we are currently doing” will come later as I am trying to get cups-filters 2.0b1 ready for the Kinetic Feature Freeze.
  • OpenPrinting: Chatted with Violet Kurtz, student at OSUOSL, the place where the OpenPrinting web app for the Foomatic printer/driver database is hosted, about the implementation of the look-up service for Printer Applications (needed by printer setup tools to find Printer Applications on the internet) and he told that it is nearly completed.
  • Ubuntu Summit 2022: Further participation in the organization, especially the planned sessions. One idea I suggested is a Snap Tutorial Day, a 1-day tutorial to learn everything about snapping apps for free software projects of the community, consisting of intro panel and several tutorial units, held by different speakers, experts and enthusiasts on each of the subjects. @ilvipero, manager of the Ubuntu Summit, but also many Snap enthusiasts and potential speakers, @local-optimum, @kenvandine, @hellsworth, … like the idea. I also suggested to give a lightning talk about running Printer Applications under WSL to rescue legacy printers abandoned by Microsoft and/or the manufacturer. For this I had some chats with @toktamis and got @cnihelton as user #0 (he has such a printer) and tester. The WSL team likes this use case for WSL and is well cooperating with me. Further session ideas are an OpenPrinting community session together with OpenPrinting’s HR manager Aveek Basu and Red Hat printing maintainer Zdenek Dohnal (similar to the Office Hours) and an OpenPrinting vs. Flutter session for discussion of the Flutter people’s printing needs. Also participated in the weekly call on July, 26, still from Mexico.
  • GUADEC 2022 in Guadalajara, Mexico: Prepared my talk and attended the conference. My talk (Video, Slides) was successful! There could be more people in the room (the Apokalypse talk before mine in the other room has overrun) but there were some questions, and a hallway session with Sebastian Wick about the abolishment of colord. I also helped Logan Rathbone to get driverless printing working on Slackware. And have seen a lot of nice places in Mexico! Was a great trip of the Canonical Gang consisting of me, @bwyazel, @hellsworth, @nteodosio, and @3v1n0! Also added my comments to the GUADEC 2022 report.
  • Linux Plumbers Conference 2022 in Dublin: Got @madhens to help me on the stage on the OpenPrinting micro-conference, mainly for questions of remote attendees (practically all the speakers participate only remotely). Thanks a lot to her. She is in Dublin for the Open Source Summit anyway and now she will have access to the whole Linux Plumbers for free. Also did some work on the distribution of (free) speaker tickets to participants of my micro-conference.
  • Google Summer of Code 2022: Mid-term evaluations have passed and 7 of the 8 contributors passed. Only the one on the native Gutenprint Printer Application failed, all the ones on the really essential projects for completing the New Architecture are doing well. All of them have given kudos to their mentors, especially to me.
  • Bugs.
2 Likes

Azure Active Directory:

• Implemented many tests (more than 200) for package testing level of aad-auth.
  • Paired with Denison and reviews on home/shell directory + per domain parameterization.
2 Likes

Azure Active Directory

• Finished implementing the home/shell directory + domain override and their respective tests;
  • Paired with Didier for code reviews and got a lot of hints and knowledge (Thank you!);
  • Merged the mentioned functionalities into the main branch (First contribution \o/);
2 Likes

Steam Snap

• Created wiki for FAQ and troubleshooting information
  • Created form to collect voluntary usage data for users (Soon™)
  • Continue to triage issue #6 for Proton games with NVIDIA cards
  • Tested more games with new snapd version
3 Likes

WSL

• Updated the wiki link in the store listing for all Ubuntu WSL apps. PR 247.
  • Review pull requests interesting for 22.04.1 release: 239 and 248.
  • Completed updating the CI/build system to fetch kinetic images from the WSL-specific pipeline. PR 241.
  • Completed the required refactorings to support the OOBE on Windows enablement. PR’s 249, 250, 251, 256, 258, 253
  • Completed the OOBE on Windows enablement on the WSL launcher C++ code. PR’s 242, 254, 255 and 257
  • Fixed a long running issue with our CI linting workflow crashing when some whitespaces or new lines were not well formatted. PR 244.
  • Build system changes were postponed to avoid any risk to affect 22.04.1 release.

Working now on:

• collecting debug symbols from GitHub to ease our crash analysis in the future. 22.04.1 should be released with the launcher debug symbols correctly collected and stored.
  • testing 22.04.1 candidate images.

UDI

• Revert the split_view package upgrade due a regression introducted in upstream. PR 1030.
  • Opened a PR that enables the WSL distro launcher to request the OOBE on Windows to gracefully exit. PR 1032
  • Opened some small enhancement pull requests for JP’s review when he comes back from vacation: 1034 and 1035
1 Like