Desktop Team Updates - Monday 13th June 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 6th June 2022

  • Made improvements to snapd.dart changes handling, released snapd.dart 0.4.1.
  • Wasted a lot of time preparing an SRU to bring adduser changes required for core desktop only to realize that core22 already included these changes and so no SRU was required.
  • Interviewed candidate.
  • Reviewed Flutter support for accessible text fields.

Enterprise Desktop / AD

  • paired with didrocks to create a separate Debian binary package for Windows-specific adsys tools (Windows daemon and policies)
  • fixed some race conditions in the integration tests (1 more to go for Linux, a lot more to go for Windows)
  • updated adsys CI to also run adwatchd tests on Linux (including integration tests), and merge coverage from both projects before sending report to Coveralls
  • various adsys repo adjustments to facilitate git clone-ing on Windows - renamed some golden tests to avoid illegal path characters (e.g. +:<>)
  • prepared Windows CI in GitHub Actions to run package and integration tests, and also build the installer .exe and attach it as an artifact to the workflow run
  • updated GitHub Actions to automatically draft a release when a tag is pushed, and attach the installer .exe to it
  • Sent a patch for desktop bug
  • Reviewed and fixed extra details (password support) about removing file-roller from Desktop Icons
  • Helped with gnome-42 extension for snapcraft

Enterprise Desktop / AD

  • Paired with Gabriel to create a separate Debian binary package for Windows-specific adsys tools (Windows daemon and policies).
  • Experimenting with Go and python Microsoft SDKs for GraphQL/MSAL.
  • Read more and more docs on Azure AD and losing myself in the Application Registration UI/Conditional Access.


  • Helped Edu with first package upload to a ppa
  • More MIR reviews
  • reviewed and sponsored a slideshow update from Nathan
  • SRUed an intel-media-driver fix for video playing segfaulting with gstreamer-vaapi installed
  • Reviewed and merged a merge request update the langpack-o-matic cronjob for kinetic
  • SRUed a xdg-desktop-portal minor version update to fix a regression in the autostart handling
  • Sponsored a few of Nathan’s desktop merges
  • Launchpad bug triaging; investigated and upstreamed some of the issues


  • Merged the proposal to add TCP support for Subiquity system_setup (the WSL installer server)
  • Merged more enhancements to UDI API’s to allow flexible endpoints so that we can apply Unix or TCP sockets more transparently while preserving the existing behavior.
  • Experimented with ways to extract the subiquity startup logic out of the SubiquityServer class in the UDI subiquity_client package.
  • Starting now to implementing the foundations to allow starting Subiquity from the OOBE running on Windows, based on the experimentation mentioned above.
  • Reviewed a PR to add Spanish translations to the WSL slide show
  • Interviewed a candidate


  • Reviewed a couple of PRs ( #912 and #915 )
  • Released new Hyper-V images of 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.
  • Made xRDP work with AD authentication.
  • Continued research on AAD authentication.
  • CUPS Snap: When putting together the June News Post on OpenPrinting I got note of the installed base of the CUPS Snap sky-rocketing from ~4200 to ~42000 and the reason is good news: The first two applications in the Snap Store which switched to the cups interface: FreeCAD and onlyoffice-desktopeditors! Congratulations to their developers and thanks to @roadmr of the Snap Store Team for providing me this information. But to make everything perfectly working, I have posted a request for the CUPS Snap to auto-connect to the system’s cups-control interface. @alexmurray could you check whether there is all OK now?
  • cups-filters: Continued with restructuring towards the cups-filters 2.x release, continuing replacing direct PPD file access in the filter functions by converting PPD options and attributes to IPP printer attributes and control options in the ppdFilterLoadPPD() function (which calls ppdLoadAttributes()) in libppd. Completed treatment of backside orientation, rendering intent, color management/colord, “PageRegion” option of PPD files, fixed a bug in cfRasterMatchIPPSize() to have output compatible to ppdRasterMatchPPDSize(), fixed crash bugs in Raster header generation for PWG Raster and PCLm, and in determination of the color space, and finally got the cfFilterPDFToRaster() (Poppler-based rasterizer) free of PPD file dependencies. Now treating the remaining filter functions is much easier, as they use merely the same information from the PPD files.
  • Braille Printer Application: Had a video meeting with the GSoC contributor and the author of the current Braille embosser driver in cups-filters, Samuel Thibault (who will also be the mentor) for planning the work. Learned a lot about Braille and Braille printing by that.
  • Scanning support for PAPPL: Had a meeting with the two GSoC contributors, explained what is all needed and re-distributed the work between the two as originally one was supposed to do IPP Scan support and the other eSCL support and now we decided to drop IPP Scan as no one actually uses it.
  • GUADEC 2022 in Guadalajara, Mexico: Booked everything and continued the planning, especially about the Canonical (developer) booth (thanks @hellsworth for the great organization work, and thanks @kenvandine about telling how the booths work). Posted a teaser about Canonical’s GUADEC participation in the June OpenPrinting News.
  • Google Summer of Code 2022: Coding period has started yesterday. For the contributors also the end-semester exams at their colleges ended. So started mentoring and had several meetings and chats (see also above). Also listed all the 8 projects and reported about their kick-off and initial design decisions in the June OpenPrinting News.
  • OpenPrinting: Monthly video meeting and June News Post. Special features this month are: Canonical on GUADEC, All GSoC 2022 projects, first apps use cups interface
  • Bugs.

firefox24 firefox

  • filed an upstream bug because all snap builds started failing with a new version of cbindgen, and patched in all branches
  • prepared 101.0.1 snap and deb updates, now published to all supported releases
  • built test snap with sandbox disabled at build time, for performance tests
  • writing unit tests for my native messaging patch

chromium22 chromium

  • approved and merged Nathan’s fix for arm64 snap builds, and cherry-picked to all branches
  • updated stable to 102.0.5005.115
  • updated beta to 103.0.5060.42
  • updated dev to 104.0.5110.0

package24 other


Steam Snap

  • More game testing
  • Some NVIDIA testing

Bottles Snap

  • Started testing Bottles
  • Tested for breakages and points to improve
  • Updated gnome-text-editor and ghex.
  • Updated Poppler to 22.06 and made its broken reverse dependencies compile again.
  • Trying to fix hardware accelerated video decoding for the Chromium snap.
  • Verified SRUs for gnome-shell 42.2 and friends. May roll out in updates for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS next week.
  • Working with others on an alias conflict with the pipewire-session-manager systemd user services shipped by wireplumber and pipewire-media-session. Trying to figure out significance of the conflict before proposing an SRU for 22.04 LTS. Also, I’m temporarily holding the ubuntu-meta package update that installs wireplumber by default until we figure this out to not break early adopters upgrading.
  • Created a manual test plan as part of the MIR process for GNOME Console
  • Cherry-picked a tracker patch to Ubuntu 22.10 to fix starred feature in Nautilus
  • Asking for clarification about what glibmm (and friends) versions we ought to be using for Ubuntu 22.10.
  • Did some early investigation of thumbnailer/gdk-pixbuf support for more filetypes for Ubuntu 22.10 with Seb.
  • Sponsored the libshumate packaging to the Debian NEW queue for Matthias Geiger
  • Forwarded an i386 ccache build workaround to Debian for webkit2gtk
  • Miscellaneous package updates including pushing some Ubuntu packaging to Debian