Call for testing: NVIDIA PRIME in Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10

Hi all, a quick feedback on my Lenovo X1 Extreme with Geforce 1050 card and 18.04.2 lts.

I installed the 418-driver from the ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa and nvidia-prime.

The laptop’s bios is set to “Hybrid” mode.

When I boot linux and login with GDM the nvidia card is active, but external screens cannot be configured (neither with x11 nor wayland).

A workaround is to launch the nvidia-settings tools, switch to intel (confirm the dialog box), switch to nvidia (confirm the dialog box), close the utility, log out and log back in. Only then I can use external screens (i.e. hdmi output or via thunderbolt dock connect other external screens).

Calling “prime-select” does not work on my machine - I switch always with the nvidia-settings tool.
When I switch to “intel” and log out, the nvidia card gets turned off and I have a remarkable battery life of >8h (6-8W consumption). With the “nvidia” profile, I have about 13-18W consumption (in normal desktop operation mode), so battery life is much shorter.

Btw, the same problem with failing to connect external screens happens on my older machine (Lenovo W520) and gdm with the nvidia-driver-390 drivers on ubuntu 19.04. To get external screens working, I have to use the nvidia-settings tool, go through the toggle steps and then log out and log back on. In 16.04 lts external screens worked right away after logging in.

I’ll try different login managers now… (kdm, lightdm, SDDM, …)

Tested with both lightdm and SSDM - here things work fine: with nvidia enabled, external screens work already at the login prompt and the nvidia-settings switch back and forth is not needed.

Strangely, the battery time seems decreased when in intel mode and using lightdem - I now have about 14-18W usage on average even with only intel graphics enabled. So something different must go on under the hood.

Anyways, with the current setup I’m happy and can work both stationary with nvidia graphics and on the road. So, thanks all involved for getting this done!

Tested nvidia-driver-430 with GDM3 and 18.04 (bionic-proposed). No errors or anything, no black screens, but laptop temperatures still seem high. I’m not sure if the graphics card is remaining on or if something else is the cause. Not sure how to diagnose either. I have a Razer Blade 15 Advanced Model Mid-2019. 240Hz screen (which I run at 60Hz in Linux) and RTX 2080 card. Only issue I’m uncertain about is temperature. Windows runs much cooler.

1 Like

Update: I switched to using the NVIDIA card, and Brave Browser is seizing up a bit for a few seconds maybe every 30 seconds or so? Google Maps also crashes after a couple minutes and asks me to reload. I’m not sure if this is related to using the NVIDIA card (RTX 2080) or the actual drivers, though. I’m probably just going to switch back to Intel next time, since it worked fine (despite unfortunately running hotter).