Call for testing: native messaging support in the Firefox snap

Only in beta and edge for now. Working to get this merged upstream in order to cherry-pick into the stable channel ASAP.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the output of flatpak permissions webextensions ?

1 Like

GNOME Shell integration works for me, but KeePassXC extension does not. I restarted my computer and all the apps a couple times, I reinstalled everything at least once.

Firefox install info

$ snap list | grep firefox
firefox                               105.0b9-1                   1826   latest/beta      mozilla**       -

xdg install info

dpkg -l | grep xdg-desktop
ii  xdg-desktop-portal                         1.14.4-1ubuntu2~22.04.1                 amd64        desktop integration portal for Flatpak and Snap
ii  xdg-desktop-portal-gnome                   42.1-0ubuntu1                           amd64        GNOME portal backend for xdg-desktop-portal
ii  xdg-desktop-portal-gtk                     1.14.0-1build1                          amd64        GTK+/GNOME portal backend for xdg-desktop-portal

Firefox debug info

snap run firefox
Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.sys.mjs
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal will be used
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal is available
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal creating session with handle suffix firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal session created with handle /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal starting org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser, requested by keepassxc-browser@keepassxc.org in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal native application start requested in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672, pending response for /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/request/1_212/firefox/1480557725
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal got response signal for /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/request/1_212/firefox/1480557725 in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal native application start canceled by user in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672 was closed by the portal
[Parent 11866: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal cannot close session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_212/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_1193117672, unknown handle

KeePassXC plugin error in UI is:

KeePassXC-Browser has encountered an error:
Cannot connect to KeePassXC. Check that browser integration is enabled in KeePassXC settings.

KeePassXC install info

$ snap list | grep keepassxc
keepassxc                             2.7.1                       1563   latest/stable    keepassxreboot  -

Native messaging hosts

$ cat ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser.json 
{
    "name": "org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser",
    "description": "KeePassXC integration with native messaging support",
    "path": "/snap/bin/keepassxc.proxy",
    "type": "stdio",
    "allowed_extensions": [
        "keepassxc-browser@keepassxc.org"
    ]
}

Came in this morning and found that itā€™s broken again.

It looks like itā€™s to do with the way itā€™s invoked - the application icon in my K-menu runs /snap/bin/firefox %u and KeepassXC doesnā€™t work.

Until this morning, Iā€™d been running with snap run firefox. Using that again, KeepassXC springs back into life

snap list only shows one Firefox install.

Edit: editing the K-menu application to run snap run firefox doesnā€™t fix it. It only seems to run when snap run firefox is invoked from a terminal. Editing the application shortcut and setting ā€œrun in terminalā€ gets it working - I guess there must be something different in the environmentā€¦

The above suggests that itā€™s missing the user permission for keepassxc. Whatā€™s the output of flatpak permissions webextensions ?

1 Like

@oSoMoN My flatpak permissions are:

flatpak permissions webextensions
Table         Object                          App          Permissions Data
webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser snap.firefox no          0x00
webextensions org.gnome.chrome_gnome_shell    snap.firefox yes         0x00

Iā€™ll try again on the weekend and see if it works with keepass enabled in flatpak. That said, why should I need anything to do with flatpak if all my apps are installed with snap?

1 Like

because the portals do not yet ship their own permission management tool and are developed mainly by flatpak devs ā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, try this:

flatpak permission-set webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser snap.firefox yes

The use of the flatpak command is quite confusing indeed. As @ogra wrote, this is because the permissions database, even though itā€™s not flatpak-specific (itā€™s also used for snaps), doesnā€™t have its own separate management tool yet.

2 Likes

I canā€™t reproduce the issue youā€™re describing here. Regardless of how firefox is launched, communication with a running keepassxc works. Note that keepassxc needs to be running for the key exchange to work, the firefox extension isnā€™t going to launch it for you.

Admittedly, I didnā€™t test on a KDE desktop, but I did launch firefox in various different ways (snap run firefox, firefox, /snap/bin/firefox, from the GNOME shell dock), and all worked.

This is with the latest revision in the beta channel, 105.0b9-1 (revision 1836).

1 Like

I donā€™t currently have a good explanation for it, as I got waylaid and havenā€™t dug much further yet. I had a quick look in about:support but the environment looks the same.

Keepassxc is open, Firefox just canā€™t talk to it.

Iā€™ll try and fiddle with it in a little bit - my line of thinking was to adjust the command to enable logging and redirect that to a file somewhere to see if it yields anything.

OK, Iā€™ve done some more testing - I donā€™t think youā€™re going to repro this without KDE.

Notes so far are here, but to summarise:

It seems to only happen when launching Firefox from the K-Menu, and only when Launch Feedback is enabled (which I think is the default). I assume thereā€™s something D-Busā€™y getting in the way but itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve delved into KDEā€™s internals.

It definitely needs K-Menuā€™s involvement though:

Launch Firefox from K-Menu, confirm youā€™re in a broken state, then exit

Copy the .desktop out of the menu

cp /home/ben/.local/share/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop firefox_firefox_notworking.desktop

Browse to the file
Double click it
Firefox will come up with Keepassxc comms working.

It also looks like the K-Menu tries to guess whether the provided command is a shell command, and changes the way that things are executed depending on that assessment

This gives the broken behaviour

env MOZ_LOG=NativeMessagingPortal:5 MOZ_LOG_FILE=/tmp/ff_log.log /usr/bin/snap run firefox %u

This doesnā€™t

MOZ_LOG=NativeMessagingPortal:5 MOZ_LOG_FILE=/tmp/ff_log.log /usr/bin/snap run firefox %u

Unfortunately neither results in any log lines :frowning:

Whatever this is, it looks like itā€™s probably K-Menu specific. Iā€™ll try dig in a bit further later in the week and see whether I can find any more - I donā€™t yet have an explanation for why itā€™s working reliably on one system and not the other either.

But, for now at least, doesnā€™t look like itā€™s an issue with the snap

Edit:

Iā€™ve not narrowed down why yet, but xdg-desktop-portal is asserting and dying.

XDP: org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop acquired
XDP: Assigning app ID "" to pid 756333 which has unit "app-firefox_firefox-5dcff4c2195f41a88a704e57462cf14c.scope"
XDP: Read org.freedesktop.appearance color-scheme
XDP: webextensions session owned by ':1.1798' created
XDP: No permissions stored for: webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser, app 

(/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:756316): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 20:27:04.443: g_app_info_get_id: assertion 'G_IS_APP_INFO (appinfo)' failed

(/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:756316): GLib-CRITICAL **: 20:27:04.443: g_strsplit: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

If I ā€œfixā€ the item by enabling run in terminal, we donā€™t get that complaint about t here not being any permissions

XDP: providing portal org.freedesktop.portal.RemoteDesktop
XDP: Running: snap routine portal-info 758029
XDP: webextensions session owned by ':1.1830' created

A diff of the two logs shows

ben@optimus:~/tmp/xdg-desktop-portal$ diff -u xdg.log xdg-working.log 
--- xdg.log	2022-09-13 20:31:58.076901113 +0100
+++ xdg-working.log	2022-09-13 20:31:58.076901113 +0100
@@ -71,11 +71,6 @@
 XDP: Using kde.portal for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.RemoteDesktop in KDE
 XDP: providing portal org.freedesktop.portal.RemoteDesktop
-XDP: Assigning app ID "" to pid 756333 which has unit "app-firefox_firefox-5dcff4c2195f41a88a704e57462cf14c.scope"
+XDP: Running: snap routine portal-info 758029
-XDP: webextensions session owned by ':1.1798' created
-XDP: No permissions stored for: webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser, app 
-
-(/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:756316): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 20:27:04.443: g_app_info_get_id: assertion 'G_IS_APP_INFO (appinfo)' failed
-
-(/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:756316): GLib-CRITICAL **: 20:27:04.443: g_strsplit: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
+XDP: webextensions session owned by ':1.1830' created
2 Likes

Hey @oSoMoN

Iā€™ve now got to the bottom of my issues. Believe it or not, the cause of it looks to be Zoom.

I wonā€™t go into too much depth on false paths here - but I traced out the call chain for working/nonworking with auditd, compared environments etc etc and found nothing.

If you disable the Keepassxc extension and launch Firefox from the K-Menu xdg-desktop-portal launches as it should, but segfaults as soon as you re-enable the extension.

By chance, I was re-checking this whilst on a zoom call and zoom crashed out at the exact moment I re-enabled the KeepassXC extension.

Iā€™ve had issues in the past with Zoom causing weird breakage - my terminal emulator (Terminator) started behaving weird a while back, which I ultimately tracked down to ibus (a Zoom dependency).

Installing Zoom on my working laptop didnā€™t break it, but updating Zoom on my not-working laptop (from 5.7.31792.0820 to 5.11.10.4400) did fix the Keepassxc extension.

Iā€™ve killed and re-opened Firefox multiple times to be sure, and where comms with Keepass was consistently broken before, it now consistently works.

Thereā€™s nothing immediately obvious on their changelog about it (turns out I was running quite an old version), but I guess it has something to do with the way that Zoom hooks into the environment.

Thatā€™s an impressive piece of investigation, well done @btasker!

So if I understand correctly, an outdated zoom client was interfering with the portal, making it crash, and thatā€™s the reason why the firefox snap wouldnā€™t manage to communicate with keepassxc through the WebExtensions portal. Are you using zoom installed as a deb, or the snap?

2 Likes

So if I understand correctly, an outdated zoom client was interfering with the portal, making it crash,

Exactly correct - the crash would only occur when the Keepass extension tried to communicate, Iā€™ve not figured out exactly why as I didnā€™t fancy delving into Zoomā€™s inner workings.

Are you using zoom installed as a deb, or the snap?

Itā€™s installed as a .deb - Iā€™ll likely move to the snap now though so it doesnā€™t end up getting so far out of date again.

KeePassXC is working!!!

I enabled parallel installs via
sudo snap set system experimental.parallel-instances=true

I installed firefox beta in parallel via
sudo snap install --beta --unaliased firefox_beta

I enabled flatpak permissions via
flatpak permission-set webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser snap.firefox_beta yes

Started firefox beta via
snap run firefox_beta

And KeePassXC browser extension just worked!

4 Likes

Late reply as I havenā€™t been using Linux much recently:

Table Object App Permissions Data
webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser snap.firefox no 0x00

That command worked for me. KeePassXC now works. Updated output is below:

webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser snap.firefox yes         0x00

After trying these commands:

sudo apt install flatpak
flatpak permission-set webextensions org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser snap.firefox yes

the extension in firefox still does not work.
I donā€™t really understand enough about snap except that it keeps causing me difficulties time and time again. I do not know how to proceed. Do I need to wait for updates or should I try migrating my firefox back to a normal version?

The keepassxc-snap-helper.sh script also tells me ā€œSorry, browsers installed as snaps are not supported at this timeā€.

Edit - Iā€™ll try this https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/07/ubuntu-devs-fix-another-frustrating-firefox-snap-flaw
Update: still nope when using firefox beta 106.0b4-1

Edit2:
I never ever get any popup asking me anything. These instructions do not hold: https://www.bentasker.co.uk/posts/blog/general/enabling-nativemessaging-for-keepassxc-on-ubuntus-snap-firefox.html

When I disable all extensions but keepassxc I still get:

[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal will be used
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal is available
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal creating session with handle suffix firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal session created with handle /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal starting org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser, requested by keepassxc-browser@keepassxc.org in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal native application start requested in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597, pending response for /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/request/1_166/firefox/1199416126
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal got response signal for /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/request/1_166/firefox/1199416126 in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal native application start failed in session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597 was closed by the portal
[Parent 11301: Main Thread]: D/NativeMessagingPortal cannot close session /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop/session/1_166/firefox_org_keepassxc_keepassxc_browser_2300902597, unknown handle

even when using firefox snap beta.

I even tried manually creating the file snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser.json and watching the debug output for the extension, but nothing changes. It doesnā€™t workā€¦ and what really frustrates me about this is how opaque everything is when using snapsā€¦ I just canā€™t figure out where something is failing! :frowning:

Can you please share the output of the following commands?

cat ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser.json

and

flatpak permissions webextensions
1 Like

Well, itā€™s not in .moxilla, but in the snap directory:

$ cat ./snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser.json 
{
    "name": "org.keepassxc.keepassxc_browser",
    "description": "KeePassXC integration with native messaging support",
    "path": "/snap/bin/keepassxc.proxy",
    "type": "stdio",
    "allowed_extensions": [
        "keepassxc-browser@keepassxc.org"
    ]
}

and

$ flatpak permissions webextensions