Call for testing: chromium-browser deb to snap transition

It seems stable version of chromium deb available from here. Also Saikrishna Arcot maintain debs of dev-builds (“dev” only by name basically stable). So anyone who wants them can easily download and install them.

ppa:chromium-team/stable is largely unmaintained these days (we use a different PPA for staging stable updates, and it targets only xenial, bionic and disco).

The PPA by Saikrishna Arcot contains indeed packages for the dev version of chromium, and contrary to what you state it is not stable, there’s no guarantee that it won’t break or corrupt your data, so use at your own risk, and please don’t recommend it to normal users.

4 Likes

I haven’t verified whether CVE-2019-13720 actually affects the snap, but regardless, the snap is currently being updated to version 78.0.3904.87, you can expect an update in the stable channel in the next hours.

Glad to know that printing works again. I’m not sure why it wasn’t in the first place. Note that this is being controlled by the cups-control interface (auto-connected by default).

You might want to try app refresh awareness to address the problem with the app updating while it’s running.

And the fix is now available in eoan-updates.

This is web.whatsapp.com doing some user-agent sniffing. I suggest spoofing your user agent, for example using this extension (you’ll also need something similar if you want to use netflix).

Mark, I see that this is tracked by mesa issue #2020. Has there been any progress in the last few days?

I don’t use Chromium, but I’m curious to know if Plasma integration stopped working now that Chromium is a Snap?

That’s the case right now with FIrefox

Most likely, if plasma integration uses native host messaging.

You might want to try app refresh awareness to address the problem with the app updating while it’s running.

Tried it (snap set core experimental.refresh-app-awareness=true) two days ago. Today snap changes says the chromium snap was updated while it was running.

UPDATE: ah, I see I made the mistake of not restarting chromium after enabling app awareness. As the linked post says

Ideally you should restart all the running snap applications (e.g. reboot if you want to) as process accounting that is used by the feature internally will only start from this point onward

I guess that the chromium manpage still cannot be accessed from within the snap?

Not being able to use the “man chromium-browser” or “info chromium-browser” commands is not very UNIX-y and really should be fixed. It is a problem for other snaps as well (I can confirm that on the GIMP snap).

Here is the bugreport: https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapd/+bug/1575593

Please upvote/fix.

1 Like

Actually, the chromium snap now ships its man page, and even though it’s not exposed to the host system, it can be displayed by simply running chromium -h (see this bug).

1 Like

Hi @javanmardy, do you have anything to contribute to the topic?
As in have you tested the chrome snap and do you have feedback to report?

As I see it, the topic is a call for testing, not an offer to whinge about snaps, their comparison to flatpaks, Canonical’s choice of release model for Ubuntu, etc.

4 Likes

Hello @mfdes
I’m using it right now, and except the 4 problems which I mentioned before and I’m going to introduce again, I think it’s okay. Pretty solid I mean.

1. I can’t attach files to email when it’s on root or on a USB stick.
  2. Like I said theming is weird, it should adopt my main theme. Or in a GUI tool I select the theming style for Snaps (either get the system theme or use the software preferred theme)
  3. Compare to debs, the starting time in Chromium Snap is a little longer and it takes time to be ready to use, not just pops up.
  4. And also updates. When I use Chromium in deb format, either I use apt to initiate update or a notification tells me “Dude! updates are ready!”. I don’t have that option to press remind me later in snaps. And I get it, updates are vital or critical or anything else for my system, but sometime I’m the one who should decide. I want to read the release notes maybe Google drops something or adopt something new. I have to be aware about it to do my stuff. Also the icon is disappear after each update from Arc menu favorites. You may say it’s Arc menu’s fault. But why it’s not happening when I use debs? (the Arc menu part is not a good argument, just annoying)
  5. It’s important to: apt has a wide variety of local archives around the world, I did not see that in snaps. Download time is very slow.

The other parts are just me want to shout my thoughts out load! It wasn’t a good idea but I happy I did that and I’m happier someone read them.

1 Like

This won’t help with root, but you should be able to access files on USB sticks if you connect the removable-media plug:

snap connect chromium:removable-media

What is your theme?

This is being tracked by bug #1847069.

Can you please file a bug for this issue?

beyond the fact that the chromium snap is actually smaller than the deb (and gets never unpacked on disk due to being a squashfs), it should keep only three revisions by default, not sure how you happen to get four (initial install (to be able to go back to a “factory” state), last revision (for automated rollbacks) and currently used revision).

you can turn that down to two (not less because of the transactional auto-rollback that is builtin into snaps) via:

sudo snap set system refresh.retain=2

see: Configure number of old revisions to keep - snapd - snapcraft.io

Do you have any other “tips & tricks” like that, for things that don’t happen automatically? If there are a few, it might even make a good blog post or something.

1 Like

The Ubuntu Software app has also graphical management for the interface connections so you don’t have to resort to teminal/cmdline, here is a screenshot (from https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/07/snap-app-permissions-manager):

2 Likes

Whenever I’ve used that setting, none of my manual set settings would stick.

One item that has bothered me from time to time, but forget to report is the lack of support for gpg with the Chromium snap. GooPG, extension for Gmail encryption, doesn’t work with this snap.