Call for testing: chromium-browser deb to snap transition

Thank you for the feedback @9d9.

The issue you’re seeing with the app not launching is puzzling, and has not been reported anywhere else, as far as I know. Would you mind starting a new thread on the snapcraft forum to investigate that specific issue?

Regarding passwords, this is because the password-manager-service interface is not auto-connected. This is indeed bad user experience, and I am looking into options to solve this.

Please note that the candidate/from-source channel doesn’t exist anymore (the chromium snap is now always built from source), you should switch to the stable channel.

Comments about the passwords being lost when chromium has been broken:

• when chromium is then loading again, the passwords are lost
  • so passwords are registered and saved again.
  • when chromium fails again (after some system packages upgrades (gcc/python/… ?), the newly saved passwords are again lost. That is strange as it seems passwords are saved outside the snap path. Not expected.

This looks related: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402587

I reported the bug and they opened the phabricator issue.
https://phabricator.kde.org/D22506

Nice, thanks @emanuc!

again broken; get logged:

juil. 19 17:10:56 oem-desktop chromium_chromium.desktop[2022]: internal error, please report: running “chromium” failed: timeout waiting for snap system profiles to get updated

Thanks @9d9, that looks like a serious issue, I started a new thread on the snapcraft forum in the hope that snapd experts can shed some light on it.

Additional log from the last break above:

juil. 19 17:07:19 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
juil. 19 17:07:19 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
juil. 19 17:07:20 oem-desktop systemd[1]: snapd.service: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.

1. I was using ~/.chromium-browser.init to set force-device-scale-factor for chrome.
    CHROMIUM_FLAGS="–force-device-scale-factor=2 --new-window"
    How do I specify force-device-scale-factor for snap?

2. I am running xubuntu eaon and chromium snap doesn’t know about password I saved before with package (in gnome keyring).

3. Cursor in snapped chromium is very small.

@9d9, please post these logs on the other thread.

This is a regression indeed. I’ve filed bug #1837746 to track it.

This is bug #1836616, which I just fixed. Until the fix reaches you, you can work around the problem by manually connecting the password-manager-service interface:

snap connect chromium:password-manager-service

This is probably caused by the lack of the --force-device-scale-factor=2 parameter. Does it go away if you run:

chromium --force-device-scale-factor=2

Nope, still small and cursor theme is different.

1 Like

This fixed the problem, thanks.

1. I had client certificate installed to access site wth certificate authentication. After switching to snap certificate isn’t installed anymore.

What cursor theme do you use on your system? Can you please share a screenshot of what it looks like in the chromium snap, and the expected one?

White background is chromium, black background is VLC.

And what cursor theme is that?

The cursor from 90s, I believe. It reminds of when I had to install Linux (Redhat in my case, pre-fedora days), and after it had booted I had to type in startx to start the x server which loaded the GUI, in my case was GNOME 1.x

I can observe the issue too. I filed bug #1838008 to track it. Thanks for spotting and reporting it!

1 Like

I have always used basic password store instead of keyring in the desktop file. But this doesn’t work with snap. Can anyone tell me how can I keep doing that ?