Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

If that works, probably gtk2 accepts svg too, but we should keep the same file names, extension included :frowning:

I mean, itā€™s not a mess, the content is there, just not in the right format I am afraid :smiley:

Sorry but I was calling for help recoloring assets, in few occasions. It was not a priority and no one picked up the glove.
Iā€™m personally using the Yaru-dark theme and will do it all along - Iā€™m a dark-theme person. When asking about dark theme the answer was - yes! but only for applications that needs it. OKā€¦ That was thenā€¦and now, we are going to the last minute without it. I have Yaru-dark theme for myself. unfinished, but eventually will be.
The one I submitted was the raw unfinished. Hopefully will make itā€™s way to the default Yaru-dark theme.

*Please donā€™t read it as criticism, Iā€™m just telling my side of it.

Iā€™m sad with all other Dark-theme lovers out there right now.

1 Like

Sorry but I was calling for help recoloring assets, in few occasions. It was not a priority and no one picked up the glove.

I am sorry myself about this, but as we often said, we are short on numbers and we needed more people to take care of dark theme too. I know youā€™re happy with your Yaru-dark gtk2, however as you said, it is unfinished.

Not sure whether there is a misunderstanding or what, but we tried at the last time to release a full and independent Yaru-dark, however, the dark theme is just one setting ahead even in Yaru, writing the following content inside file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1

hope this could mitigate the sadness of dark-theme lovers :blush:

3 Likes

That is correct! - You guys had a lot on your plate and you deserve our appreciation for what you achieved so far.

Iā€™m enjoying the Yaru-dark as a whole! - The gtk3 first of all, and my unfinished gtk2 that make it more complete.

The good old setting.ini method is going to serve us until it will be possible hopefully to SRU-it in sometime soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yaru 18.10.4 has just been released to Cosmic, which is the version just in time for UI Freeze! We are quite close to what will be released by default in ubuntu 18.04.

Remember that from now on, the UI Freeze for what enters in 18.10 are in order: UserInterfaceFreeze - Ubuntu Wiki.
We can still request UIF exception is needed, but letā€™s keep that at the minimum :wink:

For those interested into what entered since last release (Iā€™ll let @c-lobrano have a more condensed version), you can find the details there: 18.10.4 : yaru-theme package : Ubuntu

6 Likes

Wow that was a long road weā€™ve gone :beer:

Next target is 19.4 then :wink:

Cheers for this massive thread of creative madness :heart:

6 Likes

Waiting for a snap version to release! :smiley:

[nitpicking]
The wrong icon for gnome-system-monitor (at least the deb version) is still there.

And the newly accepted gnome-terminal 3.30 still has that additional line below the scrollbar.

Maybe those can be fixed as those are the most obvious nitsā€¦
[/nitpicking]

You are talking about cosmic?

Yep, I am already on Cosmic (working flawlessly for me).

If the system monitor is a snap you can add this to this thread on snap craft:

scrollbar

A thing that I didnā€™t spot earlier: The terminal scrollbar is not only off at the bottom, it is one px too broad on the right side as well.

But that is probably either an upstream issue (does Fedora show that behavior as well?) or the outcome of a Debian patch. There is at least one which is scrollbar related:

+ Add scrollbar-background-theming.patch:
      - Draw background under the scrollbar that matches the actual terminal
        background color. This allows proper theming.
1 Like

Could you open those things as issues on github so we can keep track of it?
The terminal one could be a 3.30 bug. Is it version 3.30 already? JUst put this into the issue! Thanks for the finding!

The issue seems to be known already. This is the correspondent bug.

I added the link to the debian patch FWIW.

This is a Fedora 26 screenshot: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CKw5ikw4WNo/WWo7WrezseI/AAAAAAAAKC4/CPbs48OQj0A2hMNY5_Ivu6iTaRzClDYMQCLcBGAs/s1600/07%2BGNOME%2BTerminal.jpg

So it seems that the scrollbar IS themed there and the glitch isnā€™t there.

Can we drop the Debian patch and see if that helps? Didrocks?

The Yaru team is happy to announce a new stable release!

This was the week of Cosmic Cuttelfish UI Freeze, this means that, from now on, we wonā€™t see any new UI styling, but only bug fixing and improvement ā€œunder the hoodā€.

Since last release we had tons of contributions, here a short list:

• Improvement in our build script. Improvement is a bit reductiveā€¦ Among the other awesome things, our build system is now ready to deploy an independent Yaru-dark theme (that is yet to come, though)
  • Restyle of the default button
  • New Suru Icons
  • Refinements of Nautilus selected icons
  • Improved dark variant style of switches, check-and-radio buttons
  • Use normal icons in message tray
  • Review selected page in emoji picker
  • Dropped custom fix for Chrome/Chromium windows controls, that now work fine all alone \0/
  • Make scrollbars background transparent, adapting to other scrollbars
  • Restyled notebook tabs in dark variant to look more similar to Gnome-Terminal ones
  • infobar enhancement
  • releasing package yaru-theme version 18.10.3
8 Likes

Hello,

Iā€™m using Ubuntu 18.04 with Community theme installed and I think thereā€™s something wrong about Geditā€™s tabsā€¦ To me, those tabs looks confusing.

Nautilus tabs look much better IMO and itā€™s easier to spot which tabs is active.

Thank you for the best Ubuntu theme ever!

hi @gge, how did you installed Yaru? From software center or from command line? Are you on stable version or edge?

This is gedit in my system (which is on edge)

your gedit looks weird because both tabs have the same color (pure white, #FFFFFF), while mine has pure white in the selected tab and #F7F7F7 in the other one

The dock is darker than the top bar in 18.10

1 Like

ohh, theyā€™ve probably integrated the new version of dash to dock, I knew it could to that

2 Likes

Didrocks asked me in bug 1691678 ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/1691678?_ga=2.243631749.1648704244.1537035361-64992126.1519401459 ) if I could back out the scrollbar-background-theming.patch and compile gnome-terminal myself. To test if reverting the patch would remove the terminal scrollbar glitch (it probably does, but who knows).

I do have some compilation experience with Firefox on WinXP/Cygwin myself but havenā€™t built a GNOME app before (do I have to setup jhbuild or meson for it?). And I didnā€™t find the patch to know which lines would have to be reverted for it. Is the patch somewhere within the gnome-terminal source tar: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcefiles/gnome-terminal/3.30.0-1ubuntu1/gnome-terminal_3.30.0.orig.tar.xz? I couldnā€™t find it on the Debian patch tracker either: https://sources.debian.org/patches/gnome-terminal/3.30.0-1/

Is that patch Ubuntu only? Where can I find it?

Is somebody already set up to compile GNOME apps and can take that compilation task from me?

I am talking about this patch:

• Add scrollbar-background-theming.patch:
    • Draw background under the scrollbar that matches the actual terminal
      background color. This allows proper theming.

EDIT: Hmm. It seems that Debian 9 doesnā€™t seem to show the glitch either: http://www.birk-ecke.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Bildschirmfoto-vom-2017-03-29-08-00-23.png

I guess that it isnā€™t a worthwhile delta to Debian.