Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Hey, realize it’s a bit late in the cycle to bring this up, but was the idea of rounded bottom corners on unmaximized windows ever floated? I’ve seen a few themes do it and tbh it looks pretty fantastic.

It was one of the options we tried at the beginning of the journey :smile:
I’ll try to link to it if I’ll find it, including mockups …

this one? https://community.ubuntu.com/t/mockups-new-design-discussions/1898/51

2 Likes

The Yaru team is happy to announce a new stable release!

This week we worked on the following:

• white modal dialog, more similar to Shell and GTK notifications
  • improved icon visibility on destructive (red) button
  • fixed emoji bar visibility (e.g. see gedit)
  • improved geary’s message headerbar
  • fixed Gnome Software counter position (side effect of recent button box changes)
6 Likes

Okay, this is something I’ve been thinking of for a while: Instead of keeping purple for the login/gdm screens, why not just use the already existent titlebar color from the gtk theme?

I know I said something about the fact that the login screen should be inviting and happy, and that’s true, but that doesn’t always necessarily mean bright, vibrant colors. While it’s true that the current dark aubergine is murky and dark and depressing, I’m not sure the bright aubergine is exactly working in our favor either; if anything, it might look way too loud or garish. We also don’t even use that type of color in any of the other theme decisions; if anything, Yaru thrives on playful, light splashes of color on a relatively neutral and simple canvas.

The titlebar color is a nice, neutral color that is consistent with the rest of the theme and has enough of a lightness to it to not seem night-like or heavy. If it were a meal, it wouldn’t make someone with a hangover feel like they’re dying, but it also wouldn’t seem completely not palleteable or bland and dry to someone who just woke up in the morning refreshed and ready to go by their day. It’s pleasant, calming, and unassuming. We can also use our typical orange and blue and other accent colors on top of it without worrying about it conflicting when overlaid on each other.

This also fits with the typical gnome-shell/gdm interaction, if/when ubuntu moves fully over to wayland by default, where the shell zooms in over top of the also grey-ish gdm background, making it almost like a canvas the desktop puts itself on top of.

It will, finally, be more logical of a color to use if/when the new gdm design, which shows users as a capsule of avatar+desktop background over top of a dark background, arrives. When that happens, the color of the gdm background will not have to be worried about for lock screens; only initial login or user switching.

A super quick 30 second gimp:

1 Like

It looks too dark to me, actually

3 Likes

So I forked your pretty Yaru theme and I am in the process of torturing your code :smiley: Though Yaru might benefit from this much softer select state.

3 Likes

Hey @dimot, thanks for the suggestion, though orange as selection color is a decision we took long time ago, I am not really convinced in changing it to pink

3 Likes

The Yaru team is happy to announce the 19th stable release!

This week brings the following improvements (many on dark variant):

• scrollbar in firefox
  • visibilty of icons over destructive button (improvement + fix)
  • default button visibilty on dark variant
  • selected radio/check buttons in dark variant
  • progress bar in treeview
  • selected label in both dark and light variant
6 Likes

It looks like the start of a new Radiance kind of theme … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent work @c-lobrano, but you forgot to mention that we are also at a mindblowing low 13 14 (sorry) open bugs :confetti_ball: :muscle:

1 Like

Cool @dimot but I’m REALLY not a fan of that pink salmon color :speak_no_evil:

If you want a softer look for your theme, how about using the text selection blue?

+1

Happy torturing :hocho:

4 Likes

I would also suggest to use the sidebar color instead of the background color for the headerbar ;D

for, like, 30 seconds :smiley:

1 Like

at a mindblowing low 13 14 (sorry) open bugs

Whoops. :blush: But my list is cleared for now! :sweat_smile:

On the road for the 20th release… :birthday: Keep it up guys, almost done!

3 Likes

Are this changes reflected also in 18.10?

As far as I understood it, the changes will be applied in a certain schedule (which I don’t know. I guess it’s daily) onto 18.10 until UI freeze.

1 Like

More as a FYI, but a missing icon to track which can be shown quite frequently: https://github.com/snwh/suru-icon-theme/issues/88

2 Likes

Something else to note, some of the bugs are directly reported on launchpad. @frederik-f, do you mind giving them a look and answer as may fit? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yaru-theme

2 Likes

Sure :slight_smile:

General question: will we move from github issues to the launchpad or will we use both platforms in the future?