Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

You are doing so well Gimp wise and you are full with enthusiasm and creativity . wonderful!
When it comes to the grid icons I tend to leave it alone to be as minimal as it is, no to draw any more attention, but that’s only me ;)…

4 Likes

Looks in skeuomorph style.
I like the white icon.

I’m definitely happy to keep the current app grid button - I’m just trying things out because of the suggestion it could be changed :slight_smile:

1 Like

It absolutely has a little 3D-ness :slight_smile: - about the same as the app windows and icons, which have the highlight along the top.

Smaller looks pretty good:

small app grid cropped

…and actually, for being unobtrusive, I wonder if I quite like the use of semi-transparency here:

app grid with transparency cropped

…and the dots could go fully white when you engage with the icon. I think that looks quite nice in the context of the overall desktop and doesn’t steal too much visual focus, but it’s also IMO clear that something will happen if you click on it:

full desktop with transparent app grid

I just hope the Cosmic Cuttlefish wallpaper works as well in the background when Yaru is finally the main theme in 18.10 :slight_smile: I had reservations about the use of mascots but they’ve really grown on me, and at least each new wallpaper is an interesting event now…

This looks nice, but we have always said that grey-sh color looks disabled, so I would keep the white grid

4 Likes

This also happens when an application is in the background, e.g. Firefox:

Foreground:
Screenshot from 2018-07-25 21-44-27

Background:
Screenshot from 2018-07-25 21-44-18

Can this be fixed? :slight_smile:

@ads20000. this can easily be fixed by using no title-bar build in Firefox now …

Screenshot from 2018-07-26 01-21-18

For Firefox I should look into it, for chrome @frederik-f already tried to style tab bar in Chrome and didn’t find any way

Question about theme development: how to force an application with dark theme by default to use a global theme (for example, Totem or Boxes).

Thread, just a brief bit of frivolity from me - I love looking at my Yaru desktop so much that I customised Nova Launcher to give my Android phone the same feel:

yaru phone theme

Since Canonical/Ubuntu have retreated from mobile, I hope the Suru icons and other Yaru assets will be releasable/permissible on Android. I think most Ubuntu users are also Android users, and it would be nice if we could have an “Ubuntu Phone” - of sorts! - that very closely imitates the great new desktop design :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There is a settings.ini file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and you can set that one to 1. But this is still NOT supported

Purism is working on a mobile gnome shell, which I feel is more enticing and interesting than uTouch ever was (sorry, team!). So, sometime I see if not official, a convergent GNOME-based flavor being released. Only time and parience will tell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Canonical might not be officially involved anymore, but Ubuntu touch is not dead https://ubports.com/

2 Likes

I do actually still have my BQ Aquaris somewhere, but my enthusiasm died when it ceased to be official.

I was actually more enthusiastic about the idea of Ubuntu for Android. Ubuntu desktop works for me because you have access to the whole ecosystem of Linux software that’s bigger than Ubuntu. If I could only use the Ubuntu desktop with a tiny subset of apps that had been done with Ubuntu in mind, I would find it harder to justify using as my sole desktop OS.

I would be surprised if Ubuntu Phone (with or without Canonical’s backing) could get the critical mass of apps, but I bought into it and was rooting for it anyway. From a realpolitik point of view, balancing individuality/brand loyalty with my need for a fully-featured smartphone, I liked the idea of putting an Ubuntu experience on top of the Android ecosystem. If non-Android Linux on smartphone becomes a reality with other actors like Gnome buying into it as well, then an Ubuntu version of that experience is also enticing. EDIT: And the nice thing about playing around with Nova Launcher is, it shows that the Yaru design looks great on a smartphone (better than the screenshot suggests - the icons and wallpaper really glow on my handset).

Anyway, I’ll leave it there, because that’s a big (off-topic) conversation and I shouldn’t flood this thread with any more thoughts on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, you misunderstood me. Totem, Boxes and Photos use a dark theme regardless of a global theme (light or dark). How to force this applications to use a global theme (light or dark)?

Either use the light theme as the dark theme like ambiance did or no idea :slight_smile:

like ambiance

How?

Is it time to change the Plymouth theme?

I was inspired by the Ubuntu Touch boot:
https://youtu.be/6IO4nQxxbcs?t=1m11s

4 Likes

Good idea - maybe which some blue progress dots?
#19b6ee

1 Like

Hi @eaglers

It could be that time :slight_smile:

I have nothing against the current Ubuntu design - it seems quite neutral to me, but a redesign was mentioned earlier in this thread and also here.

I like the Elementary OS plymouth theme (sorry) because of the simplicity and the black background (so you can’t see the edges of the background and the monitor) as other OS’es do. Also coming from dark/black, fading into the login screen appeals to me.

BUT we should keep in mind that GRUB already introduces the aubergine (which fits with the terminal colors) before plymouth is presented, so keeping the #2c001e background would probably make sense :man_shrugging:

3 Likes