Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Pretty sure german is one of the longest translations :smiley:

2 Likes

Itā€™s always really awkward to listen to yourself, but this was fun: https://ubuntupodcast.org/2018/07/12/s11e18-eighteen-summers/

6 Likes

Those transparent borders no longer there. use the latest version of communitheme. it was fixed already :slight_smile:

1 Like

How nice to get voices to faces and names :smile:

about Gtk2, we definitely need help. My work on it progressing slowly and I do need help with converting assets from the light theme into the dark theme. the rest willbe fine tuning the colors some a bit more and cleaning the code.
Iā€™m working locally thoughā€¦ Not ideal so if someone who is more Tech savvy will join to the effort it will be awesome.

Maybe Iā€™m the only one that sad to see the Ubuntu logo go ā€¦ beside the branding, It was done nicely and let me know in a glance which session Iā€™m at. To have it on the top left panel is kind of retro/old school :wink:
Here you can see 10.04 top panel :
ubuntu-1004

Because I wouldā€™ve loved the Ubuntu logo to be visible I agree with @paulw2u . Users in some cases will be forced to choose between extensions productivity and the logo.
Just MHO of course.

2 Likes

No you are clearly not but itā€™s not our decision as already written several times here and on GitHub.

No idea if itā€™s oldschool only because there was a classic menu launcher back then fit a different function which used an Ubuntu logo too

Users wont be forced to anything. It is the background of the activities logo. Itā€™s not a different button. Maybe you and Paul are misunderstanding something here. Again this has been mentioned already that upstream ā€œallowsā€ the logo if the activities text is still there.

Quick question, is there any reason for the dropdown arrows in the shell remaining in communitheme other than complying with upstream?

Feedback was being sought so I gave it. If it was misplaced then I apologise.

Iā€™m seeing my name and username quoted in a context that I donā€™t understand. Iā€™m loving the thought of a new default theme for Ubuntu 18.10 after five years or more of Ambiance and Radiance. For a while I used communitheme on a daily basis.

But for now Iā€™m out of here. Iā€™ll see you all on the other side once communitheme, or whatever you decide to call it on a permanent basis, has been released.

2 Likes

It was the right place and nothing to apologize :slight_smile:
Itā€™s just that I think providing support for other extensions than those two Ubuntu ships is out of our scope (at least out of mine).

What is the reason behind strange borders when using this gtk theme on plasma ? In fullscreen app mode, itā€™s looking good. when non-maximized it look like on the picture.

I am pretty sure this is a problem with the engine plasma uses for rendering gtk applications. Under Gnome thereā€™s no such borders

1 Like

Breeze have no such problems, again, itā€™s tailored to look native on plasma and probably it knows what are limits of gtk rendering on plasma. Still, itā€™s something to consider, as plasma is huge platform and people use gtk apps on it (sadly, firefox donā€™t have native qt client anymore).

Alright. Open an issue on GitHub then.
But as @c-lobrano implied, this is a gtk theme and we officially support the gnome desktop.
If we find time maybe we can stick our heads into that but no promise.

Iā€™m not an expert but maybe you have to find a way to mix oil with water :smile:
KDE/QT/gtk ā€¦
One place I found for you to try : Create a Qt look-alike

Homerun is no longer supported, there are other ways to get Unity-like environment.

@frederik-f no chances for plasma respin ? This + proper Aurorae + Kvcommunitheme + proper desktop theme would make quite uniform Ubuntu-ish look. If only KDE and GNOME devs would settle on DWD instead of CSD/SSD, relations between those tribes would improve.

Who is talking about unity like? ā€¦ wHAT the hell is homerun?

Just logged in (Iā€™m on edge channel) to find a Circle of Friends by ā€œActivitiesā€ and the 17.10-style app grid. Looks fantastic! Thank you

Also, I installed the UBPorts version of Unity 8 to remind myself what it looked like on desktop, and Iā€™ve got to sayā€¦ IMO, Communitheme is now head and shoulders above it in terms of initial ā€œeye impactā€. Thatā€™s not to say Unity 8 was bad-looking, because I liked what they were doing in terms of design. I just think the current Ubuntu desktop has a really fresh, exciting, unique look.

4 Likes

My understanding is that Breeze is a KDE (and then Plasma) targeted theme, I donā€™t expect it to have any issue in its own environment.

Unfortunately weā€™re a small team and we ~stabilized GNOME version, our main goal, about a month ago, if you have any knowledge about to fix this, please consider to contribute, weā€™ll be glad to review any PR that extends Communitheme base :wink:

Communitheme in GNOME does not have such border (in fact communithemeā€™s windows do not have borders at all, except in headerbars), this is why I think itā€™s a problem IN plasma first; I am confident that Plasma maintainers have much more info than us about this and can eventually give some hints.

2 Likes

Latest Edge Channel, German ā€œActivitiesā€

Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-14 12-05-47

2 Likes

In spanish very glued