Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

There are not many apps that support them. I know only Geary mail Telegram and Thunderbird

1 Like

Donā€™t you see any badge or donā€™t you see any ā€œgreenā€ badge?

I do see the badges but iā€™m sure NO green is there :smile:

would you mind reporting them on github?

Sure. just not sure where is the right place :thinking:

Green badges. Did you update your snap?

2 Likes

LOLā€¦it is probably a sudden ocd syndrome on my partā€¦ I was relating to the backgrounds of the icons. Thanks a lot, @frederik-f and sorry for the confusion. Yes I did update it but Iā€™m not using those 3 programs you mentioned.
That is a cool feature :+1:

1 Like

Hi thread,

Terminal has a lovely fused header/menus - I love it!!

However, on my setup, Inkscape and GIMP still have a different shade of grey for the menus (and no continuation of the darker outline) but the separating line has vanished at least. It actually looks reasonably nice :slight_smile: but isnā€™t consistent.

I also notice that the brighter line has gone when the window is maximised. I think this is probably the right thing to doā€¦ it sometimes reminded me of a Windows 98 button, with a pixel art ā€œembossā€ effect. But I do think the bright line made a clearer boundary, coming between the dark shades.

Now you have dark shades separated by a dark line. If I wanted to be hyper-critical (I say ā€œhyperā€ because Communitheme looks more and more superb with each change :slight_smile: ) my impression is the top of the screen got flatter and more modern but also ā€œgloomierā€ with the loss of the bright line.

Just food for thought (Iā€™m not even sure I like this next idea myself) but I wonder if you tried a bright line as the actual outline when the window is maximised, rather than (as you had before) a highlight within it:

bright line #1

I think dark dialogues are more consistent? Iā€™m focusing on consistency because I know that, despite all the praise for Communitheme at the moment, there will be people who hate it (there always are; think I saw a few on YouTube or something recently) and I want to be able to defend design decisions to them.

Dark dialogues are more consistent because theyā€™re often about the Shell (e.g. the shutdown dialogue) and the Shell colour seems to be black (top bar and launcher aside from a little transparency, system menu background, application title bars and menu bars (the menus themselves are white to reflect the fact that theyā€™re application-specific)ā€¦) so Shell dialogues should also be black? White seems to be something of a secondary colour (e.g. the white outline in Activities on hover of a window, white Shell text (that becomes more white when you hover over it, hence the white outline in Activities makes sense, maybe, though maybe that makes more sense as an active orange) etc.

Other consistency worries for me:

• Still not sure about the blue sliders (now a closed Issue), I guess the justification is that it was done in Unity 8 (though in more places - used for active tabs etc too) and looks nice. Perhaps it can be justified because itā€™s a highlight thatā€™s not ā€˜activeā€™ in the same way that a selected item is? So it makes sense for it to be blue rather than orange? But maybe just having it white (what seems to be the secondary Shell colour) would be even more consistent, as per the screenshot in the Issue, but ā€˜it looks kind of dullā€™ as Mads saysā€¦ Personally I prefer consistent and dull. But I guess thereā€™s some justification here if the situation stays this way.
  • The use of green seems a bit odd too - why for checkboxes and notification counts in particular? I guess theyā€™re both to-do/done things and green is positive?

I donā€™t want to sound negative, but the color discussions are really worrying me.
Why do we discuss the same things over and over and over again?
Imagine you build a house. Together. Would you discuss and change and discuss over and over again where you would put the windows?
Thoughts that might be an argument may are not. What is consistency? This may be considered as a pro/contra argument when things are the same or even. When they are not, you canā€™t consider consistency.

18.10 is not that far away actually and either we try to understand why certain design decisions have been made or we try to find arguments against it for the sake of it until 18.10.

This is really worrying me.

And to come down to pretty low level arguments: I would like to keep blue sliders and progress bars because they look very good and fresh beside the dark orange! :ice_cream:
Itā€™s great that we discuss all kind of things. The ideas came from all kind of places. But I think we could ofc store the red line we have and donā€™t try to cut it every x days. There seems to me a pretty clear vision of how things look like. If the dialogs should be black or white is indeed undecided atm! So good for bringing this into this discussion. But the blue sliders are pretty much good design imho. I could be wrong though.

So as a unemotional last note: the white dialogues are an experiment. If the feedback is rather negative we will change it back to dark.

3 Likes

Because Iā€™m struggling to get my head round the arguments (perhaps this is just my fault, but why are progress bars and sliders ā€˜activity/selectionā€™? We seem to kinda be using orange for that? Kinda? I donā€™t really understand the difference between Activity/Selection and Focus and how that ties into the Communitheme. Can someone explain that? :slight_smile: ) and Iā€™m putting pressure on good arguments to be given so that I can defend them later, sorry if this is stressful :frowning:

Iā€™m just not persuaded by ā€˜low-levelā€™ arguments like ā€˜that looks good to meā€™ because I donā€™t think thatā€™ll be easy to defend later, but maybe I should just let haters hate and change my way of thinking about these things and be more tolerant of opposing views.

2 Likes
4 Likes

We saw it after landing the change on master branch. We made the menubar changes on GTK3 applications, while GTK2 ones still have older version.

Iā€™ll think about it. The main problem is that menubar are less easy to style than titlebar/headerbar when talking about maximized/minimized state of the window. Also, referring again to GTK2 application, I am not even sure it is possible for menubar. Still investigating though, and thank for the hint :wink:

green checkboxes have been mutuated from unity8 and Ambiance use it as well, so we thought it was good enough and kept it.
Notification counts, or just badges, have been changed from orange to green in gnome-software, so for consistency the same change was made in other places. I know that notifications are blue, but blue did not get along very well in the specific case of gnome-software.

Talking about gnome shell white, again this started with a solution for a problem: white popups stand out better against dark headerbars. Then the team decided to have a try extending the usage of this color. Iā€™ve already said that I like it, but considering that the shell lower the light of the desktop when those popups appear, the dark version might be a better implementation.

The palette above is not the easiest thing to work with :smiley:, but weā€™re not using it with the same strict meaning.

• We are using blue mostly for indication, so a progress bar, volume, etc.
  • orange is for focus, selection and indicates something is active. Again, somewhere this doesnā€™t look the best color (like text selection) so we kind of tried alternatives, for usability reason.
3 Likes

This might already be covered by #157 but I think this:

install line #1

ā€¦should probably look like this:

install line #2

5 Likes

Looking at the explanation of the colour useā€¦ I would say the odd one out is orange ā€œxā€. I actually like it and want to keep it, even though I was initially supportive of removing it (I realised how much Iā€™d missed it when the orange circle came back!). But the use of orange here is pure branding. It doesnā€™t tie in with the general logic on colours.

As always, just an idea: if you only have the orange ā€œxā€ for in-focus windows, does that bring it in line with other uses of orange in Communitheme?

Then the explanation is, the orange is being used as another visual indication of focus, current selection, etcā€¦ It doubles up as an orange highlight or ā€œpipā€ on the selected window. Thatā€™s consistent with the current thinking around colour and can be justified if people ask why itā€™s orange (rather than just ā€œit looks goodā€ or ā€œa tribute to the old themeā€ - explanations that convince me :slight_smile: but maybe not everyone). And the rationale for having the orange around the ā€œxā€ would be, itā€™s a nice/tidy/obvious place to put a small bit of orange to show focus, without it being ā€œtoo much orangeā€.

orange x in focus only

EDIT: I see greying out the orange ā€œxā€ has also been suggested on Github - that works too! I think the change on Github has been suggested in the context of having ā€œtoo much orangeā€ in view (ā€œIMHO the orange close button on every open window is not a very good ideaā€) but I guess my point is that I support this change from a logical point of view as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @jaggers. Yes, I canā€™t find the issue amt, but @frederik-f is on it I think.

+1 I thought about that too, but didnā€™t suggest it because it would seem inconsistent (yes, everyone loves saying that word).
With your explanation this would make sense - I think we should try it. I also think it will look better.
+1 also for missing the orange button when it was removed, but we - like so many other things - had to give it a try.

1 Like

The communitheme snap breaks my system:

• After reboot the first login gets denied because of wrong password mo matter it was typed in correctly or not.
  • I cannot login into normal ubuntu x.org session. Itā€™s stuck with GDMs background and the mouse cusor
  • Communitheme session is also broken
  • Wayland sessions works besides the wrong password thing
  • Even removing the snap doesnā€™t change the login behaviour (after reboot of course)

Had to reinstall my system twice because i didnā€™t find a quick fix.

Actually @madsrh - when I play with my mockups, in addition to having the orange ā€œpipā€ on the focussed window only, I think focus is clearer if I make background titles a bit paler - something like so (I actually think the contrast might be a bit too stark in these mockups):

lighter out of focus

lighter out of focus max

I tend to have a lot of windows open on a single small monitor (Iā€™m a laptop user) so value having a clear distinction between in/out-of-focus windows.

Keep up the good work everyone - itā€™s already looking superb. You could ship it tomorrow and I bet users would respond very well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A 100% agree. Sometimes it can be hard to see when the active and passive windows overlap.

@c-lobrano maybe when we lightened/brightened the headerbar, we didnā€™t adjust the backdrop color? :thinking: I donā€™t remember, but I do agree with @jaggers. Are you +1 @c-lobrano @frederik-f ?

3 Likes

I canā€™t find the issue at the moment, but Iā€™ve already heard something similar, @didrock do you remember it, maybe on irc?

1 Like

+1 to try, also this might help :slight_smile:

EDIT: just to note that many users split windows side by side, so having headerbar too desaturated cold look weird

3 Likes

@c-lobrano I like your top highlight, and it might mean you donā€™t need as severe a colour difference as I had in my recent mock-up!

1 Like