Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

We are mentioned in a popular youtube channel’s new video =D
Linux Scoop - Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - See What’s New
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OTwHSa1KVc

3 Likes

Hey, I think I fixed the gtk2/electron app issues not being properly themed in the snap. Would anyone try the instructions on https://github.com/ubuntu/communitheme-snap-helpers/pull/8#issuecomment-384179997, then logout/log back in and report the results? :wink: Thanks!

3 Likes

It works for me, thank’s! :wink:

2 Likes

And here we go with our last interview today, from @godlyranchdressing! https://didrocks.fr/2018/04/25/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-bionic-age-behind-communitheme-interviewing-aaron/

Thanks to everyone who participated in this fun little exercise :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And thanks to you @didrocks for an excellent opportunity to get to know the people we write with every day :+1:

5 Likes

@d0od says of the Communitheme ‘it’s dark, it’s delicious, and it’s arguably the best that Ubuntu has ever looked’. Well done guys! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks - but we are still not done yet! :coffee:
It’s great that he promotes this!

6 Likes

With @didrocks and the rest of the team, we decided to schedule a new snap stable release per week. :calendar:

Since this is one of the most active threads where users can provide feedback, I feel it is the right thing to announce here first that edge channel has just been promoted to stable! :tada:

There are several improvements we are happy about, hope you like it as well :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the very great you’ve done!!!

On an 18.04 with the edge version of the theme, it is difficult to see the highlighting of the menu. I feel that the display is too bright on the mouse hover with some software like firefox for exemple

(sorry for my poor english)

1 Like

Current approach with the transparencies is very interesting - in a good way!

I quite like having the same transparency for the launcher and the top bar. But I wonder if you might as well get rid of the separating line in that case, so they form a single r-shaped panel. Personally, I think this looks a little bit better:

no separator #2

no separator #4

Also, if we’re going with dark menu titles, which visually “joins” them to the window’s title bar IMO - rather than making them feel like part of the app’s own interface - I think it looks better if you simply fuse them with the title bar without a separator, like so:

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

I am not able to view the menu. Thanks in advance.

Agree, but this is a problem in Mutter that we cannot fix in communitheme

Uhm, not sure this is due to communitheme. Was this a fresh install of 18.04?

No I have updated from 16.04.
May be you are right, because it is working fine in my personal laptop (freshly installed 18.04).
By the way is there any fix for this?

@c-lobrano

“Agree, but this is a problem in Mutter that we cannot fix in communitheme”

Ah, of course. Then I probably cycle back to my preference for lighter menu titles, which I think I suggested up there somewhere. Otherwise, two dark stripes with a darker separator, as per current setup, just feels a bit dense and gloomy to me.

gimp light menus cropped

gimp maximised with wip light menus cropped

Dark is normally good :slight_smile: but if it’s hard to do dark menus well at this time it might be flogging a dead horse.

1 Like

I don’t know unfortunately, but have a look at Finding help page

2 Likes

We discussed your proposal here, unfortunately it didn’t make it :slight_smile:
I still hope to propose a change in mutter

another issue. this time on freshly installed 18.04

1 Like

@dibyendu.roy1988 thank you for reporting it. We’ve already contacted the right team that is working on it, see here :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t realise that - thank you for considering it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some fun to enjoy the work that has been made :grinning::sunglasses::hugs:

World of Gnome (very popular gnome youtube channel) is promoting our theme (now that we are on flathub):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1QxTwTppfQ

4 Likes