Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

What if we create a issue/PR in the gnome-software repository to change Gtk.ButtonBox to Gtk.StackSwitcher?

What if we create a issue/PR in the gnome-software repository1 to change Gtk.ButtonBox to Gtk.StackSwitcher?

Why?

Because of this, Cosmic is probably going to have some of this new things, like the path bar for sure

To save the style with an orange stripe.

1 Like

Sure the fact that buttonbox can have a hierarchy very hard to style is a fact, however, I like the simple and clean look it has now.

1 Like

Tbh we discussed this a lot and we were also big fans of the orange underline.

However, after using the new solution for both buttonbox and stackswitchers, I’d say that this one is 1) more robust to changes in gtk/upstream and 2) are more on par with other buttons in the headerbar

But yeah, the orange underline was awesome while it was the same style for every bigger widget in the headerbar

1 Like

But this doesn’t look professional.

Similarly, I can make a switches look like checkboxes.
What is the point of StackSwitcher? Why was it created if there is a ButtonBox?

A stackswitcher is attached to a GtkStack
Those two things are connected
But I guess you can just switch a stack with any listener attached to a widget (I think they call it “signal” in Gtk)
Whereas a buttonbox is actually just a box

What exactly looks unprofessional and under which criteria?

1 Like

Thank you for asking this question!

Firstly, when you hover cursor over a tab, it isn’t much different from a neighboring tab.

Снимок экрана от 2018-11-29 21-47-03

Secondly, when you hover cursor over a tab, during animation for a moment, it becomes the same color as a neighboring tab.

Thirdly, the border of StackSwitcher almost invisible. It is necessary to add a background.
Or it is better to return as it was.

It’s the same border as with most buttons in the header bar that have a border (text buttons) and the same hover and active colours.
I think it would be strange to mix them, now that we finally found a way to give every button a unified look. Before the buttons inside stackswitchers were a lot different than other buttons. So if you have an idea for a look that unifies all buttons inside and outside of boxes or stackswitchers, post some mockups in here.

1 Like

But why StackSwitcher should look like a regular button? In the previous style, I didn’t see anything wrong.

Firstly, when you hover cursor over a tab, it isn’t much different from a neighboring tab.

The difference is quite visible though, that’s enough I believe.

Secondly, when you hover cursor over a tab, during animation for a moment, it becomes the same color as a neighboring tab.

I don’t see it as an issue, being a transition, I think it’s ok. Moreover it lasts a fraction of a second.

But why StackSwitcher should look like a regular button? In the previous style, I didn’t see anything wrong.

The function of stackswitcher and buttonbox (in this particular case) is the same, so I expect that also the look and feel is the same.

If you really like this design, then I prefer add strips to distinguish tabs

Снимок экрана от 2018-12-04 16-24-58

1 Like

It might be. I find the current one a bit more elegant, but the difference is minimal

1 Like

We iterated over this version too back then. However we found the current solution to be a bit less “grid-like”.
Also, I wonder how a version with the border looks less “unprofessional”.

No way. I talked about the previous version

Guys, I know this is bit off topic but, since snap folder is already a part of ubuntu home folders why not add a style to it also? Maybe an origami like the snapcraft.io page

2 Likes

Nautilus doesn’t support icon change for “snap” folder

In Unity 8, only one application icon was used. And now are 12 icons of different sizes. What if we refuse small icons?

Firstly, less expensive for developers.
Secondly, possibility of using vector icons.
Thirdly, looks better.

On the left is 256x256 icons.
On the right is 48x48 icons.

Снимок экрана от 2018-12-10 14-48-34 Снимок экрана от 2018-12-10 14-48-01

@frederik-f: I changed the layout to hide the glitch by turning on the (still experimental) Notebookbar layout. I think that it is really beautiful now:

If Ubuntu 19.04 gets LibreOffice 6.2 this will have moved out of its experimental status. The icon set is Colibre, which is a bit less “gnomey” but looks more professional and cleaner to me at the moment. I will have to re-evaluate when the elementary icon set gets its big update in LibreOffice 6.2.

There is a short youtube video to show where you can enable “experimental” → https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiTisTP-LPfAhVC6RoKHXTFAesQwqsBMAB6BAgCEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DavhkDLGSxQM&usg=AOvVaw2X4omB-cvS7XZBiVB35Ks8

4 Likes