Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Could someone please provide somekind of namelist of the elements in a gnome-shell-theme and in a gtk-theme? Maybe with pictures? Is there a link? Sometimes i dont know how the element i am talking about is called. It would make helping easier.

You can use the gtk inspector - it’s an awesome applicatio which does exactly what you want

Taken from : https://github.com/Ubuntu/gnome-shell-communitheme/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Install inspector

sudo apt install libgtk-3-dev

Enable the shortcut to open it

gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.Debug enable-inspector-keybinding true
Now you can open any program GTK3 program and press CTRL + Shift + D to bring up the inspector.

3 Likes

Agreed. IMO, the buttons being recessed make them look disabled; the Sign In button especially.

1 Like

tl; dr:

• If Communitheme won’t be in 18.04 Adwaita with only the colors changed would be the better, more “upstream” option
  • If this can’t be done, what about showing a note in the post-install screen? Or highlighting it in Software Center? Creating a dropdown at install time with something like “Theme selection: Experimental Redesign XOR Ancient, but stable”?
  • Would anyone be interested if I’d create a fork of Adwaita with the Unity8 colors? Just for evaluation, would need practically no testing since Adwaita is being tested by Redhat etc.

I really hope that the theme will be in 18.04. Everyone I know said that one of the main reasons they are not using Ubuntu is the design - So I’ve installed Fedora on their Machines and they’ve been happy ;/. I know, I could just install Adwaita etc. on their machine but since they recommend Ubuntu to other people that will simply not install a theme because they do not know that such a thing even exists and thus just not use it, this aint an option. Downloading stuff from Github/Lab etc. or even a ppa is not something that any regular user would do. IMHO the out-of-the-box experience matters tremendously and Ambiance, while I do quite like it (nostalgia …), just isn’t cutting it. People will see Ubuntu with Ambiance in every YT tutorial etc. until at least 2020 (No one ever uses non-lts versions, and that’s simply because it’s the first option on the downloads page, not because they need it) and will not use Ubuntu because of this. What about just showing the option in a post-install screen or something? Enable it by default in the USB version? Just to show that it exists? Preinstall the GNOME Tweaks Tool?
I would love to contribute but simply can’t (Do know SCSS/SASS but only for webdev). Also, I really believe that just using Adwaita with Unity8 colors would be the right choice if this plan goes burst. It’s a lot more “modern” than Ambiance and while skeumorphic, it’s recieved a lot more positive feedback from the people I’ve showed it to than Ambiance has, to a point where they would rather recommend another distro than accept Ambiance.

6 Likes

Everyone I know said that one of the main reasons they are not using Ubuntu is the design

I can only confirm this! How something looks is for the average user very important.

Would anyone be interested if I’d create a fork of Adwaita with the Unity8 colors? Just for evaluation, would need practically no testing since Adwaita is being tested by Redhat etc.

Yes! I would test it and give you feedback. I really think it is the right way to go.

In this thread it was already pointed out that we should only talk about the communitheme. So we should open a new thread for this. “Adwaita with Unity8 colors if Communitheme will not be in 18.04”. I could open it and we could link your theme there and discuss it. Please PM me when the theme is ready for evaluation.

2 Likes

I have created a thread so we can discuss Adwaita without undermining the community-theme thread.

4 Likes

Something like that? It’s looking good I think :wink: logowanie

5 Likes

Is there an option to turn off the top bar shadowing and reduce the transparency? Otherwise the theme is looking good!

1 Like

working on it already :wink:

6 Likes

Can sombody improvise an abergine version of the selection (“Home”)?

I like the suru-blue mockup in the corresponding gitlab bug very much. But I can imagine that aubergine looks even more ubuntu-ish.

Just don’t stick with orange. I feels… just too much. Event to the degree that it feels out of place (same in Ambience).

EDIT: This is the mockup which I am referring to (obviously using Adwaita)

1 Like

But go with too many different colours and the theme looks inconsistent. Personally, I prefer lots of orange and consistency, to little orange and a lack of consistency. Adwaita uses a lot of blue and gets away with that?

2 Likes

I think that the presence of the folder icons amplifies the effect. Just imagine a fullscreen Nautilus full of folder icons. Together with the broad orange selection rectangle the whole screen is suddenly filled with intensly orange “blobs“.

If you go the all-orangey route, the orange should be more layered/subtle/silent/desaturated/professional looking. At the present time it is screaming too much IMHO.

A fullscreen Nautilus could be a good testcase for that. If that looks good, small Nautilus windows will look great.

3 Likes

I agree with @ads20000 about consistency but I all heartedly agree with you @jyaku that the selected color should be
subtle.

1 Like

#1 Fullscreen nautilus Communitheme:

#2 Fullscreen nautilus Ambiance:

#3 Fullscreen nautilus Adwaita:

2 Likes

This has been addressed allready - they try a different solution with only highlighting the text with orange

1 Like

@jyaku yaku Unless you suggest that we use another icon theme, this isn’t really a discussion concerning development of the theme IMHO. Your conversation is about the Suru icon theme and changes to it and should take place there.

I thought that too, but I think that he means the folder color in general :wink:

A couple of days ago I had to reinstall the whole system and started again with 17.10 Ambiance + Gnome shell, where there’s a lot more orange that in communitheme. I must say I felt the difference :smiley:

Current Communitheme dropped a lot of orange already, I’m not saying it’s perfect, we can and have to do more, but I still want to feel that I’m using ubuntu and not vanilla gnome.

Nautilus sidebar selection has never been aubergine, it’d look just another system to me

9 Likes

Fully agree, @ads20000.

I wonder if there’s a middle way, tbh. If there’s too much orange, I think grey selection is better than introducing a new accent colour in this context.

I wonder if the current blue is a little too close to purple on the colour wheel. Possibly @madsrh’s aquamarine, which I’m a real advocate of, works better for me because it’s little bit further away from purple?

Obviously it’s not realistic to hope that every aspect of the new theme will be exactly what I wanted :slight_smile: but the blue really does make my heart sink whenever I see it. It just doesn’t feel like an Ubuntu colour.

The nice thing about the aquamarine is that it’s a slightly off-piste, non-functional-feeling colour, like purple and orange and dark browny-grey are. Whereas red, green, yellow, and blue feel more functional and boring. Blue is just a bit too pedestrian for my Ubuntu.

An irrational feeling, but a strong one!

Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-02-17 19-42-00

Firefox 60 will have an option to enable CSD (client side decoration). When I install it from the firefox-next PPA it exhibits an error with the “X” symbol.

It seems that Firefox in CSD mode uses smaller scale symbols and the “X” doesn’t scale the same way as the other symbols. What makes the closing symbol different from minimizing and maximizing?

EDIT: Fullscreen Shot (the terminal is a custom color and not related to communitheme. But the scrollbar looks borked in terminal:

2 Likes

Can confirm this. Communitheme is not alone here, happens in most GTK themes.

2 Likes