Ask us anything about Ubuntu Kernels!

Yes I understand that but all the new Ubuntu built mainline kernels since were not built successfully:

6.0-rc4

Latest successful : 5.19.5 and 6.0-rc3

If you have a better place to report mainline kernel build issues I am open to use that instead of this discourse thread.

Hi guys. I have a 20.04 (fossa) which I upgrade the default kernel which came (5.4.0-x) to 5.17.9-051709 which was one of the new Kernel versions when I did that. Don’t exactly remember why, but it seems that there was an issue that this kernel solved on my machine, a T430 ThinkPad. It worked fine no problem, still working, but the only thing is that I missed are linux-tools-generic and linux-cloud-tools-generic packages which were from 5.4.0 series. Even today if I try to install them it gets the default to 5.4.0-x version (linux-cloud-tools-5.4.0-125…). I already uninstalled the 5.4.0 series kernel completely from my machine, but the tools keep installing from the previous version. I try to locate a linux-tools-5.17.9-051709-generic but didn’t find anywhere. Do I have to compile them ? Why these packages are not included in the kernel generic files ? tks.

please see the above post:

2 Likes

Thanks @ogra, I have to take a little Ubuntu Kernel class but understood better now. GA, HWE and etc. Good info here.

1 Like

Will we see 6.0 in Ubuntu 22.10? It seems to contain a couple of features important to work with the latest AM5 socket and AMD 7000 CPUs.

1 Like

No need to ask here as Oct 6th is the Kernel Freeze date as shown in the Release Schedule.

The 6.0 kernel is not out yet as still at release candidates so no time for Ubuntu to test a 6.0 kernel in time for the 22.10 release.
https://www.kernel.org

Anyway important kernel updates and fixes can always be backported if Ubuntu thinks they are worth the effort.

Hi, v6.0 is indeed too late to integrate into Kinetic / 22.10. However, the next milestone release of Ubuntu is 22.04.2 LTS point release in February 2023. The work to integrate HWE v5.19 and OEM v6.0 based kernels has already started, such that Canonical OEM certified laptops can benefit from v6.0 based OEM kernel on latest generation of hardware.

3 Likes

When does the 5.19 hwe kernel appear in jammy? I know it will be before the 22.04.2 LTS release, but am interested in the exact timing.

when it is ready.

there are never exact timings for such things, and it pretty much depends on scheduling engineers to work on it between now and 22.04.2 release, and how much other things there are to do. I.e. there is 22.10 release to ship first.

1 Like

Will 22.10 (& 22.04) support Intel Arc GPUs? If not, are there plans on backporting the support from 6.0?

Intel Arc GPU support in upstream linux kernels is still experimental.

As mentioned earlier 22.04 will have oem-6.0 kernel, and then it will have future hwe kernels from 23.04, 23.10, 24.04 releases. Thus yes, eventually 22.04 will have Intel Arc GPU support.

1 Like

Well, then when did the 5.8 kernel appear in focal? I can’t find the exact time. Just like this question
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1419260/where-to-find-a-package-version-history

the timing of hwe kernel appearance varies by months every time, and the estimate is between now and end of year for v5.19 =)

ps. I am the one trying to make v5.19 happen fyi

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know, but back to the question. Is there a way to find the time that 5.8 kernel appear in focal?

you could read the full history at

it made it out of proposed into updates, as an edge variant on 28th of October, but I’m not sure if it was actually usable as that publication was a security CVE.

It finally got marked as non-edge variant on 15th of December, and I can’t tell when it actually managed to get to updates, possibly like 6th of January.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the upstream patch [PATCH v6] ACPI: skip IRQ override on AMD Zen platforms to be available on a supported Ubuntu kernel for my newest laptop. Otherwise the internal keyboard does not work.

Kinetic updates has currently kernel version 5.19.0.23.22 which, according to /proc/version_signature is based off 5.19.7.

This patch is included in 5.19.10 IIRC. Next up (in the Canonical Kernel Team PPA) it 5.19.0.24, apparently.

How could I know whether that patch is included? Alternatively, how could I know which mainline version is 5.19.0.24 based off?

Also, when should that be available in the updates repo?

I’m trying to avoid installing unsigned kernels.

– nachokb

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a hardware regession

Our kernel git repository is public, e.g. kinetic tree is at ~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/kinetic - [no description] you can clone it and search browse to find the included commits in question.

But you can also lookup stable series patch level - i.e. Click on the tag of interest e.g. Ubuntu-5.19.0-24.25 browse tree and then check out the debian.master/upstream-stable there you will see which stable patch series are applied. FYI it is v5.19.17 so next update should be good. BTW it is already available in kinetic-proposed since 2022-11-16.

You can test it by installing it from kinetic-proposed, but note that it kinetic-proposed has many other package updates too. Alternatively you can opt into Kernels as in proposed PPA which only has the kinetic-proposed kernels alone.

Kernels in kinetic-proposed and the as-proposed-ppa are signed with secureboot keys.

Our cycle dates are listed on Kernel SRU Cycles currently planned to land in -updates sometime after 5th of December. If it slips the page will be updated, and we also send email announcements.

2 Likes

thanks a lot for such a detailed explanation – completely missed the proposed repos I’ll go with those

good, I’ve got some (nice) updates. I actually had 3 issues with this notebook*:

1. Rembrandt’s keyboard IRQ change. It’s working perfectly after upgrading :fireworks:; I wish AMD had given us a little more time (or a switch in the BIOS), but :man_shrugging:;
  2. random crashes at boot time: more like black screen (the login screen failed to show up); furthermore, random pauses, stuttering, and outright crashes later on; originally only on 25% of boots, lately a little more frequent; no crash whatsoever after upgrading (will keep checking, I hope I will not need to update here);
  3. on 5.19.0.23 I needed to disable the dGPU in the BIOS or else it wouldn’t boot (not showing anything); now it works after upgrading, and I even installed the proprietary drivers (which means I’m back on X now);

So right now I’m extremely happy about this upgrade. Thanks a lot… Sounds like a lot happened between 5.19.10 and 5.19.17.

– nachokb

(*) for the record, this is a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro X (AMD Rembrandt 6800HS + RTX 3050)

Why is mailline Kernel not available for testing? Last update for the daily one is Nov 18th. Kernel 6.1-rc6 was last Sunday.

6 Likes