Any plan upgrade to Gnome-Shell/Mutter 3.36.6 on Focal?

I was asking myself if Ubuntu will this time upgrade GNOME stack to 3.38 inside Focal. I know it’s probably not planned at all, but I realized that Groovy, Hirsute and Debian 11 will run 3.38. Alignment of planets.

Thus the advantages of a 3.38 upgrade seem very clear. What are the downsides, apart from LTS design, that make this a bad idea?

2 Likes

Upgrading the whole stack is a huge undertaking - lots and lots of dependent packages. This requires a mass of manpower for development and testing.

The risk of getting it wrong is considerably higher than just patching stability & critical updates that a LTS demands.

1 Like

I agree that upgrading focal to 3.38 would represent a risk and would take too much time away from future releases. We are unlikely to ever do that.

But don’t use Groovy and Hirsute as a comparison… Groovy reaches end-of-life this July, and Hirsute reaches end-of-life next January. By that time, both 21.10 and prerelease-22.04 will be ready with GNOME 41 or higher.

5 Likes

One point, you’re right.
I was obviously more focused on Debian 11.

3.36 is working pretty well. I believe it is now at 3.36.9 upstream, so it is continuing to receive bugfixes and minor backports.

As far as quality of life on 20.04- I personally think, if anything, backporting Desktop Icons NG would do the most good for polish and user experience.

1 Like

FYI new upstream point releases (+ some more upstream cherry-picks) have been uploaded to focal, follow the relative SRU bugs to help testing them!

3 Likes

Updates are hitting proposed in these days, so please help testing the SRU bugs (see mutter and gnome-shell in focal).

2 Likes

Testing now! :slight_smile: Thanks for getting them out there.

Thanks!
Seems to work, as far as I can see.

I still get this in logs:
Window manager warning: META_CURRENT_TIME used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
when swiping workspace using 4 fingers.
It’s there:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1066
but does not deserve attention :wink: .