Adwaita with Unity 8 colours

It would be nice to download the theme in the 3 color variants on gnome-look.org or to advertise in the blogs for downloads.

Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be on @d0odā€™s ā€˜things to do after installing Ubuntu 18.04ā€™ post but I guess you mean the official blogs tooā€¦

Also Iā€™m not sure how theyā€™re going to make the snap, making a snap for an entire desktop session hasnā€™t been attempted before :joy::joy:

1 Like

@ads20000 4 People, all CS students. Use a Mac now.
I think the snap is awesome, no doubts about that, but itā€™s still the ā€œfirst experienceā€ thatā€™s going to stay. No one is gonna explicitly search for the snap and we also canā€™t promote it all the time ā€¦

Hate? Seriously? I give upā€¦ Have fun with Ambiance and the imagination a new user who wants a system for surfing the internet and using office would really like the looks of ubuntu. Ignoring users with no technical skills is just ignorant. Snaps, ppas, themes on gnome-look are things an average user wonā€™t care about or take his time for. An OS should look good and work good from the start! Out of the box! There are enough companies who failed big time because they have not understand that there product has to be good from the start. The worst thing that could happen to a company is when it loses the connection to its target group. And this is how it looks at the moment.
And by the way i do not understand why you posted that post here. We already answered to didrock and know about the decision.

EDIT: To make it clear for a last time:

Look at this two cars:
640x360
Some would say the right one looks better. Other would say the left one looks better. There would be even people who would say both cars look horrible. When you look at both cars you would find one thing both have in common: they are modern. They fit to the time. They look like new cars.

And now take a look at this car:
10399626_f520
Most would say it looks ugly AND old. And a few (maybe you) would say it looks good. But what is the difference between this car and the other two? It does not fit in our time. It looks dated. It looks OLD! Maybe it was beautiful for most people when it came out. Maybe people who bought it in the 80s still like the look of it because they feel connected to it. But the average car-buyer today would not want to drive this car. Because of the look it even looks unsafe.

And yesā€¦ Ubuntu with Ambiance is the third car! Imagine Elon Musk would try to sell a Tesla with that look.

4 Likes

@nusi Perfect analogy :+1: :wink:

2 Likes

This is why I think the default experience matters, but switching away from Ambiance for 18.04 doesnā€™t work out, as Didier has argued. But you were arguing that the theme should completely change every 2 years (you speaking about how Windows seems to do that) (though I think youā€™d be wrong, the Windows 10 design language isnā€™t far off Windows 8ā€™s design language which is rather old - though maybe Ambiance ā†’ Communitheme would be considered a similar move to Windows 8 ā†’ 10).

I really donā€™t think Ambiance looks all that bad. The last car in the above example is more like the Windows 98 gray stuff (that we sometimes see in snaps and Wine apps whilst work on them is ongoing). Maybe 7 years is too long for a theme though, maybe not, a lot of people genuinely still like the look of Windows 7 (which used Aero from Vista (2006)), I think, and Windows 10ā€™s design is like Windows 8ā€™s design, and Windows 8 came out in 2012. Admittedly, Iā€™ve had a look at some screenshots, and Ambiance does go further back than Unity, it seems to have been introduced in 10.04. Itā€™s a long time ago, itā€™s ageing, but I donā€™t think itā€™s quite like the old car you showed, they key part being age ing, not age d.

Because not everyone here will necessarily have read that post since it was on a different thread.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been wanting this theme for some time, Adwaita with orange colors, thank you!
But I tried to install the .deb on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and didnā€™t work. I only comes with a Light blue variation. :confused:

Try to compile it from source. I never got to finish the packaging system now that itā€™s still Ambiance in 18.04

Thank you, never did something like that, but Iā€™ll try. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you need any help, I put the instructions in the README of the repository :wink:

1 Like

I think the theme is working, but I need to edit the files to get the variant I want. I would like to have the dark with orange, but I donā€™t think that I edited the files right.

ā€œTo enable one of them, remove the // in front of each variant at the bottom of Adwaita-Ubuntu/gtk-3.0/_colors.scss and the # at the bottom of Adwaita-Ubuntu/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. Make sure you only have all but one variant commented out!ā€

1 Like

This looks right to me! Whatā€™s the output after running the compilation using

meson build --prefix=/usr
sudo ninja -C build install

(make sure youā€™ve got the sassc package installed)?

I compiled and it worked, amazing! Thank you!
For the dark background variation I need the gnome session?

Great to see that it worked! In order to use the Dark Version, just select the ā€œUse Dark Themeā€ option in GNOME Tweaks (under Appearance). Iā€™m not so sure about whether this still works in the latest GNOME, Iā€™ll check tomorrow :wink:

1 Like

In Gnome that ships with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS doesnā€™t have this option anymore. So I guess I need to install the gnome session/vanilla.

Hi @lucasfalcao86 , To get the theme use the dark Try to look at :
~/.config/gtk 3.0/settings.ini - It will look like that :

[Settings]
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=0 <<<<<< Just change it to 1
It should work.

3 Likes

Yes, it worked, thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A quick update: with the recent acquisition of GitHub by Microsoft I have moved this project to the free and open source GitLab. Take a look at the new repo here: https://gitlab.com/pojntfx/adwaita-gtk-ubuntu and feel free to contribute!

3 Likes

Iā€™m getting 404 error - page not found, with your link.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s still importing, you might have to wait some time (GitLab is receiving massive traffic right now)

1 Like