Adwaita with Unity 8 colours

Just created the Debian/Ubuntu package. Installing the 1.0.0-RC1 Awaita-GTK-Ubuntu release now is as easy as double-clicking it!
I’ve published it on the Github releases page:raised_hands:, please test!

If anyone knows more about Debian packaging, let me know - this one is my first one :wink:

Also, what do you guys think about creating a snap for it? Is is possible to do that?

2 Likes

I’ve just pushed another release, this time the package is a lot nicer:
https://github.com/pojntfx/adwaita-gtk-ubuntu/releases/tag/1.0.0-RC2
Now includes a proper description, copyright notice etc.!

2 Likes

does it overwrite the older version? at the moment i still have black text on desktop.

Are you going to have the orange color?

@nusi I’ve not tested overwriting. Better remove /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-Ubuntu first
@initu-icr It’s the light blue version right now, I’ll provide multiple versions in the future of course once I’ve figured fully figured out the packaging process (I’d like to auto-generate & build them on Launchpad)
Screenshot from 2018-02-26 21-02-44
My desktop looks fine for now with a fresh install of theme!

3 Likes

for me its still broken. i will make a fresh install today in the evening. maybe bionic :wink: The icon-theme is not yet part of the deb, right?

will it be possible to download these themes in the near future? Will they be
included in the next release?

Yes, I’ve compiled them on Bionic - maybe that’s the problem, who knows, I’ll look at it soon :wink:

They can already be downloaded, just check the Github README :wink:

thank you I’ve just download the theme. But I could neither get the orange menu color nor the blue blue color.
How do you get the Suru Icone theme in blue?
Thank you.
That tweak of Adwaita could be a could start for 18.04 all the while waiting for the final release of communitheme.

nice and sutle changes . i have this issue though.

There is a line across the top off the top bar.

i have the same problem. but i still use 17.10. maybe in bionic this issue is solved?

Im on 18.04 with the latest gnome

Now that communitheme wont make it in 18.04 can this project be considered for bionic? Who decides this? Does he know about this project? Who needs to be contacted? Ambiance cant really be a serious alternative.

2 Likes

18.04 is Bionic Beaver! They are targeting the next release FWIU, 18.10

He was talking about Adwaita with Unity 8 colors, not Communitheme. However I think the problem is basically the same

1 Like

OIC Thanks! I should unsubscribe from these, too confusing with all the theme discussions.

1 Like

For those that haven’t seen the post in the other thread:

Ambiance will be default in Ubuntu 18.04 with the Communitheme available as a snap for those who can’t stand Ambiance ( the reason being that didrocks doesn’t think it makes sense to go Ambiance → Adwaita with Ubuntu colours → Communitheme for 17.10 → 18.04 → 18.10 plus it’s too much to support and Ambiance has got, and is getting, a lot of bugfixes so it certainly remains a well-maintained theme. If you hate it, install another theme and recommend other people do as well, some people don’t hate Ambiance as much as you, just as some people hate Adwaita more than you :stuck_out_tongue: ), from what I understand, the Communitheme will be made default (or at least be in universe) early in Ubuntu 18.10’s development?

2 Likes

Design is subjective, UX is not. Ambiance does not work well with GNOME and has been designed for GNOME 2/Unity which makes it … feel weird and incredibly outdated. Bug fixes don’t help IMHO since the theme itself is the problem, not the bugs around it. Since people don’t use nor know about GTK themes in general, I honestly can’t recommend Ubuntu to anyone at this point anymore - they all get turned off by the design, and I mean that like in an instant. They like Fedora and Elementary however, so I guess I’ve found a solution until 20.04 that’s actually competitive (They need Anbox, Nvidia drivers etc. which all only work correctly on LTS. LTS is also being promoted a lot, which is why I see no one using a non-LTS release). Otherwise, if they want to recommend Ubuntu to others, they’ll need to say something like “yeah, just download the first ISO, flash it w/ etcher, install it, enter those commands in the “Terminal” or install those packages from the GNOME Software Center” - and that’s whats gonna stop them from recommending it. But well, let’s keep on working on Communitheme - I like the way it’s going :wink:

How many people have you recommended Ubuntu 17.10 to who have refused to install it primarily because Ambiance is horrible on GNOME 3 and has anyone else found/not found that with people they’ve recommended Ubuntu 17.10 to? Also you said only LTS is promoted and has important things working on it, so why were you suggesting they install 17.10 anyway?

Yes we should have a good and usable experience out-of-the-box. It is a bit of a mouthful to say ‘install then go to Software, search for Communitheme, hit Install, log out (top-right button > name > Log Out), click your name, hit the cog in the bottom right, hit Ubuntu with Communitheme, log in’, and this is assuming he snap happens (I hope it does!)

1 Like