About Web & Design team

We are responsible for many of Canonical’s websites including ubuntu.com and canonical.com. We also support products by developing the UI for web apps.

We maintain a number of packages that support our websites.

1 Like

Hi,

I have had this complaint for a while (and indeed, have raised this issue in other threads before) and am happy that I can now share it with the people who can actually do something about it.

Of course, other people are more than welcome to share their views.

I have recently - and the first time since a while - persuaded someone here in Belgium to install Ubuntu on his PCs. I wanted to provide him with a URL to download the latest images from and provided ubuntu.com. He probably needed a bit more persuading, which I hope the official website would do …

But sadly, to me, there is absolutely zero ‘visible’ love for Ubuntu desktop on the official website. The kind of information that a plain computer user (who would play a game, surf around the internet, make a document, browse through his photos, …) is looking for just before clicking the download button. The information is there, but it is really hard to find. A clear and visible path from the homepage to https://ubuntu.com/desktop/features is missing.

While, as a long time Ubuntu user, I am constantly being reassured here on this forum that the love is very much alive, I fail to see it on the official website. As a potential Ubuntu desktop user, if I were to go to ubuntu.com, there would be no clear and easy way for me to find the information that I needed … even worse: I wouldn’t even think that Ubuntu is the product that I was looking for.

I personally think Majaro, Fedora, Linux Mint, Pop_OS … in other words, the biggest ‘competitors’ in the field, are doing a much better job in attracting desktop users.

In short, I would like to urge the Web design again to think about making a clear section, accessible from the homepage, for the average desktop user to find features and a download link.

PS: thank you for taking my ‘complaint’ or recommendation to heart.

2 Likes