A list of suggestions from the Czech and Slovak community

Hello folks!

Hope everybody who I’ve met at the Summit arrived home fine. First of all, I’d like to say thanks to all of you for coming to Prague and showing the local communities that there is fun to be had with Ubuntu and that the community discourse (pun most definitely intended) is alive and well. With regards to that and following a few chats I’ve had at the event, I took the initiative to reach out to the users in Czechia and Slovakia and asked them for suggestion on how the Ubuntu might be improved in terms of features and polish. Here is a filtered list of suggestions that we’ve come up with:

• Add an option to move the show applications button to the top of the dock, in order to make it more similar to Unity, or make it a default option

• This could be implemented as a simple switch in the forked Gnome Settings app in Appearance tab. The gsettings command to move it to the top is:
    • $ gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.dash-to-dock show-apps-at-top true
  • Add an option for automatic switching between light mode and dark mode depending on the time of day. This could be optionally tied to the night color feature.

• Integrate the titlebar of maximized applications to the top Gnome panel, similarly to how it used to be in Unity.

• It is implemented in a gnome extension Unite, however it is dependent on X11
  • [Harder to implement] Ability to run any application in a limited sandboxed environment

• [Basic security and privacy] Ubuntu should check on boot whether the AppArmor is running and warn users if it isn’t

• GUI configuration utility for GRUB, ideally implemented in System Settings application.

• Add an option to select which specific directories can snapped applications access - not just /home or nothing.

• Better integrations of calendar, tasks and contacts

• For example, being able to create new calendar events directly from the calendar widget in the top bar
  • Creating a list of certified working devices, such as printers and scanners

• There are certified laptops and desktops. It would be helpful to have one index where a user could search for a currently sold printer to buy and work reliably in Ubuntu
  • Bring back suspend to disk.

• Adding more detailed options for encrypting partitions, choosing whether to use swap file or partition.

• Adding support for TPM

These are just a few filtered suggestions. I tried to only include those that actually make sense and are not too radical or downright silly. There have been a lot of mean spirited comments, but I was quite surprised at the level of engagement this topic had. I am mostly interested in the TPM support, greater utilization of sandboxing and automatic checking of AppArmor.

MK

2 Likes

Could we leave the show applications button where it is ?
Please

1 Like