Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04

@mbut Looks like this

1 Like

LightDM>GDM3

GDM3 is clunky and unpolished.

1 Like

Thanks for your work rs2009. Do you have any contact with the Unity7 Maintainers?

https://launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers

@Sutarmekeg Canonical uses and maintains gdm3, so I stuck with that so that we get regular updates. Who knows, I might just include lightdm in future builds :blush: Yup, I do have with @khurshid-alam

2 Likes

LDM or GDM3, whatever, you’re doing great work. Thanks kindly !

2 Likes

That’s the issue (at least for me). I really like how Unity has merged the menu bar into the title bar (and for those who like global menu, the option is there), while the headerbar merged the toolbar into the title bar that makes the app look weird.

traditional-ui-vs-headerbar

Sadly, As far as I know, GNOME has removed the title bar so no more way to bring that menu back.

Nemo in other hand is much better option. However, there’s a little issue about no border when renaming file.

Thank you!. Anyway, what’s the difference between the older and the latest one?.

That’s true, but LightDM is still used by several official flavors, so it’s reasonable to assume that it will be kept working. A more critical maintenance matter is the whole Unity stack including the indicator-* packages.

This right here. I was looking on launchpad.net for the source code to some of these and could not find them (specifically indicator-weather).

I have tried and tested many tools for multi booting ISO images of various distros on one USB flash drive and this one works with this UnityRemix distro, all the Ubuntu 20.04 releases and even the Groovy-Gorilla daily-live releases. Once you have your USB drive set up all you need to do is copy the ISO to the drive from any computer without having to run any program or app.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

1 Like

Great job @rs2009! This could very possibly bring me back to Ubuntu if it could become and official flavor and if there was some kind of guarantee that Unity 7 will continue to be maintained.

As for LightDM vs. GDM, I also strongly prefer LightDM just like Ubuntu used to ship it. LightDM is probably the most widely used display manager across all distros and it is actively developed and isn’t going anywhere.

1 Like

Great news. I had to buy a iMAC to make the shell look like Unity. Develop, there will be a desire to return)

1 Like

Yes, and 20.04 chic, if not GNOME :unamused::-1:

1 Like

Thanks for your work! Maybe replace some GNOME apps with Mint apps (e.g. replace Nautilus to Nemo)? Since GNOME supports tittlebars no more, same as global menu.

1 Like

Or MATE apps… which are already in the repos

1 Like

@rs2009 why papyrus ad not the yarunity icon theme? Is it for the missing icons in the top bar? I’ve nothing against Papyrus, i like them, but I think they are not as unique as yaru, and they are overused in other distros… oh, anyway… we need a different launcher icon…

2 Likes

It was commented at Telegram group. After many suggestions, we decide to remove the title bar of applications which doesn’t need it, because Gnome removed it in subsequent versions. Whether you want the title bar also in Gnome apps, you just need to install this package.

Additionally, join to Telegram group, you may help a lot.

Would it be possible to insert a new ISO, the MATE environment for the installation? I completely formatted the notebook, but the installer session with GNOME Shell continued to freeze, and prevented me from installing the ISO again.

1 Like

Hmmm, it looks like Nemo is preinstalled. So, can you remove Nautilus and make Nemo file manager by default?

1 Like

My dream is turning into reality… Man, gonna help this project the way I can!

Kudos from Brazil!

3 Likes