Freedom of choice

Im currently on 18.04 Dev .
I do have to question whether the design team are heading down the same path as they did with unty7 .
Development is imho is more open than previously of which I’m very happy but I’m concerned that the same issues of lack of choice in default settings will lead to the same criticism that Unity got and that is the inability to configure your desktop . I’m not suggesting that the default settings be changed just that the user has an easy to use configuration option eg dock on or off , application button start or finish .
What are people’s thoughts on this with in this and in the wider community?

1 Like

Some options that are available in Gnome Tweak Tool should be “ported” to System Settings or somewhere else, for example the option to remove Trash, I find Trash on the desktop extremely annoying because I like my desktop clean and my wallpaper in full glory. Now the option to disable Trash is located in Gnome Tweak Tool that is not preinstalled, I know where it is but less experienced users, especially those who never used Gnome will try finding an option to remove Trash and will not be able to find it in default applications. One more tweak is very important in my opinion, the option to enable minimize on click for applications in the launcher, gsettings can do that as Dash To Dock on which Ubuntu Dock is based has that option, but again users should not need to fiddle with gsettings just to turn on such a useful option that makes dock more usable. Removal of desktop icons, turning on minimize on click and perhaps option to center new windows (which is currently configurable with dconf application) should be added to Dock section of System Settings though disabling desktop icons (or selecting which ones are to be enabled) is more appropriate to Display section, but Dock options in System Settings could perhaps be renamed “Dock And Desktop” or something similar to enable users to quickly configure their desktop.

2 Likes

I think this is a valid point.
Will Ubuntu and Gnome teams be ready for the Twitstorms likely to inflame from minor complaints?
Will the communities be ready for the inevitable trolling?
Are there more/better/faster communication venues we should add for the surge?
Should there be a set of common talking-points/responses that community members can use to redirect energy into more constructive channels?

Goodness, at my work (not Ubuntu-related) we already have most of March planned in detail. April is practically here.