Testing Unity Session in Eoan - Ubuntu 19.10

Confirming this on my old install. Reassigning PrtSc as custom binding works, though. Keeping Super key pushed down won’t bring in the keyboard overlay with shortcuts.

I am not quite sure, whether to upgrade anymore with all these Gnome “removals.” Hope the guys, who remove stuff communicate with @khurshid-alam, before they do it.

@khurshid-alam, @mc3man
It’d be nice, if you could let us know, which packages should not be upgraded in the future. Thanks!

Unfortunately gnome-settings-daemon completely rewrite media-keys schema which can not be reverted easily as Unity use legacy key grabber code.

And if it can, it will break in next cycle. I don’t who thought depending on gnome-settings-daemon is a good idea for unity. The only way is to use seperate schemas for unity but that’s a huge task and won’t be happening until next cycle.

Meanwhile you can downgrade gnome-settings-daemon to 3.32 to keep using media keys shortcut

Are you planning to use separate schemas later? What is the next cycle?
Anyway, will stop upgrading anything named gnome-…in my system. I might even stop upgrading to save the system as it is. It doesn’t need to be upgraded at all to run well. Thank you very much @khurshid-alam for bringing it up to this stage!

Let us know, if it is safe to upgrade in the future.

Maybe a ‘casualty’ of the plan to go to unity8 ??

unity-settings-daemon (14.04.0-0ubuntu1) trusty; urgency=low

• Fork gnome-settings-daemon so we can maintain it for Unity 7 until it is
    replaced by the Unity 8 equivalent.

– Robert Ancell robert.ancell@canonical.com Fri, 07 Feb 2014

Next dev , i.e 20.04
The best current unity experience is still on 18.04.x, maybe 20.04.x will work out, maybe not…

Oops, I forgot that.

Yes, in a way, feeling sorry I moved the installation upward. The testing bug. :slight_smile: Btw, I find 16.04 is still doing quite well too. These days, when we do most of the work in the net, the base distro doesn’t have to be all that “up-to-date.”

Hopefully it’ll work out with 20.04. My father’s currently using Unity on 18.04.

Good news I decided to port media-keys schemas to com.canonical.unity.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys. I will port the rest of schemas later.

There will be an update for unity, unity-greeter, unity-settings-daemon, unity-control-center in the ppa and later in the repo. You will need all four updates.

4 Likes

I only removed non working scopes. Not sure why app/files lens not getting installed. But there will be an update for ubuntu-unity-desktop soon once I fixed the media-keys issue.

2 Likes

The various lens used to be recommends of unity, seems they were removed for eoan though not in changelog
Previous (disco) deps and recommends, https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/unity

Update:

I now have ported media-keys schemas and removed gnome-settings-daemon from maintainers ppa. Please help testing.

1. First install unity, unity-settings-daemon, unity-control-center, unity-greeter, ubuntu-settings from the maintainers ppa. There are some issues with ubuntu apt mirrors, so make sure you have the exact same version. There may be more unity components that require updates. If I find more I will update them.

2. Downgrade gnome-settings-daemon by installing the version exists in the repo.

3. If you use compiz gnome-compatibility plugin, disable it from ccsm. It is not enabled in Unity by default may produce undesired result.

4. Make sure shortcuts keys are working…

For me following keys works as expected

1. Ctrl+alt+t (terminal)
  2. Ctrl+alt+l (lock-screen)/Super+l
  3. Print-screen
  4. Hardware keys like volume, brightness, suspend, lock, www etc
  5. Custom keyboard shortcuts

If you have hardware media-keys, it may not work properly since u-s-d doesn’t provide mpris controller but indicator-sound does. And indicator-sound is in bad shape and untouchable atm.

As the ppa is there in the installed system, I can simply update/upgrade, right?

If I upgrade, the following will be upgraded.

accountsservice cups cups-browsed cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-core-drivers
cups-daemon cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers cups-ipp-utils cups-ppdc
cups-server-common gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 guile-2.2-libs language-pack-en
language-pack-gnome-en libaccountsservice0 libappindicator1
libappindicator3-1 libcups2 libcupsfilters1 libcupsimage2 libfaad2
libfontembed1 libnfnetlink0 libnss-systemd libpam-systemd libsystemd0
libudev1 libunity-core-6.0-9 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-render-util0 libxxf86vm1
opera-stable python-pkg-resources python3-pkg-resources squashfs-tools
systemd systemd-sysv tcpdump udev unity unity-schemas unity-services xauth

Do I have to downgrade gnome-settings-daemon, before or after?

unity-settings-daemon, unity-control-center, unity-greeter, ubuntu-settings

are not getting upgraded.

So…this happened.

$  apt list -a unity unity-settings-daemon unity-control-center unity-greeter ubuntu-settings gnome-settings-daemon --installed 
Listing... Done
gnome-settings-daemon/eoan,now 3.33.90-1ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]

ubuntu-settings/eoan,eoan,now 19.10.1 all [installed]
ubuntu-settings/eoan,eoan 19.04.4+201909031450~ubuntu19.10.1 all

unity-control-center/eoan,now 15.04.0+19.04.20190209-0ubuntu5 amd64 [installed,automatic]
unity-control-center/eoan 15.04.0+19.04.20190209-0ubuntu4+201909021445~ubuntu19.10.1 amd64

unity-greeter/eoan,now 18.04.0+19.04.20190410-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

unity-settings-daemon/eoan,now 15.04.1+19.04.20190209-0ubuntu3.3 amd64 [installed]
unity-settings-daemon/eoan 15.04.1+19.04.20190209-0ubuntu3.2+201909021810~ubuntu19.10.1 amd64

unity/eoan,now 7.5.0+19.04.20190827-0ubuntu1+201909021910~ubuntu19.10.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
unity/eoan 7.5.0+19.04.20190827-0ubuntu1 amd64

Are the right ones installed?

The ppa packages for unity-settings-daemon and unity-control-center are versioned below current eoan packages…

1 Like

@khurshid-alam

1. These are unity-settings-daemon, unity-control-center, unity-greeter, ubuntu-settings not getting upgraded yet.
  2. Do I have to downgrade gnome-settings-daemon, before or after? Is installing the package gnome-settings-daemon-common_3.33.90-1ubuntu2_all.deb enough to downgrade it, as it carries the same number?
  1. Wait for another update. I am splitting u-s-d with unity-settings-daemon schemas. So u-s-d will now pull that. Also indicator-session is updating.

2. After if you are installing from within unity session. And yes the number is same.

Let us know, when you are done. Then I’ll update. No hurry :slight_smile:

Ok. I pushed another update. Version mismatched happened because a new version gets pushed to repo while I am fixing it.

Also I am thinking of dropping all other architectures except amd64, i386 for ubuntu-unity-desktop since unity doesn’t really work on those arch. If you have any issues with that, ping me here.

Can you please give Nautilus-3.26 from a ppa ? Nautilus 3.32 has lots of issues where 3.26 has none. The version from repo still works but I have to use old version of gnome-terminal to use “open-in-terminal”.

Upgraded, and downgraded the gnome-settings-daemon. Rebooted all right. No Speech dispatcher as a user. Synaptic says there’s a broken package.